cartoondude

Power Miners: New Sets for 2009

We get new awesome pictures from the ToyFair:

>Link<

Greetings 'Bricks'

it does look better than the previous "blurry" pictures. especially the titanium command rig.

Teh Power Miners are awesome, especially that big giant base thing! :wub: Thanks you TLC, thank you! :cry_happy:

Love the look of these, but sadly I won't be getting any most likely due to major want of Space Police, the yet-to-be-revealed Agents, and Indy. I must say the Titanium Rig looks much better now though. Told you all :tongue:

Batbrick Away! :devil:

The Power Miners sets look awesome.

I'm awestruck by the size of the Titanium Rig! Looks fun! The big "evolved" baddies look great too. They seem menacing. But, I can't wait for the larger more evolved monster that's brickbuilt holding a miner in one of its hands. Too bad there are no pictures of it that was setup.

010.jpg

This one looks very much like the original rock monster. :thumbup:

These two sets for the Summer wave both look good, but not entirely desirable for me. So many great sets, so little cash.

It looks like we'll get two colors of the large rock monsters this year: red and yellow. :classic:

This one looks very much like the original rock monster. :thumbup:

That's just what I was going to say! Although when I looked back, I realized the resemblence was not as strong as I initially thought.

30305c01.jpg010.jpg

Still, I definitely think this new design is a nod to the original (but much improved :grin: ). I have to say, I was never very excited about power Miners, but I find myself buying more and more just because I want the Rock Monsters and certain cool pieces.

Edited by fallentomato

The big "evolved" baddies look great too.

He he... I guess that´s what becomes of them if they scrape their plates with crystals like mother rock monster always says... :laugh:

Thanks for these interesting pics, Bricks! :thumbup:

Still, I definitely think this new design is a nod to the original (but much improved :grin: ). I have to say, I was never very excited about power Miners, but I find myself buying more and more just because I want the Rock Monsters and certain cool pieces.

The new, larger Power Miners rock monsters remind me more of the rock/lava/ice monsters in the Rock Raiders PC game than the original Rock Raiders mold did!

Edited by Mariko

That's just what I was going to say! Although when I looked back, I realized the resemblence was not as strong as I initially thought.

30305c01.jpg010.jpg

I have the old rock monsters, yet another likness between power miners and rock raiders.

Power Miners are better though. :tongue::tongue:

30305c01.jpg010.jpg

That is exactly my idea too. I did not really care too much about PM, but then I started to see the neat pieces, and the great Rock Monsters, and I am hooked.

Power Miners are better though. :tongue::tongue:

I'll have to disagree there. Rock Raiders nailed the idea of an underground mining team WAY better than these lime green versions. The theme is neat in terms of parts, functionality, and overall design, but when I look at Power Miners I don't think of the gritty underground mining facilities of Rock Raiders... at all.

It would probably be a mistake to compare these themes because they're both good for totally different reasons.

I'll have to disagree there. Rock Raiders nailed the idea of an underground mining team WAY better than these lime green versions. The theme is neat in terms of parts, functionality, and overall design, but when I look at Power Miners I don't think of the gritty underground mining facilities of Rock Raiders... at all.

It would probably be a mistake to compare these themes because they're both good for totally different reasons.

I must disagree. Because the two themes have their own overtopic: Mines, but they are still too different to compare them and say ....is the best!

Otherwise the new set's are great , but the new bigger monsters are a bit to ''anti-lego''-designed. I really prefer the little one.

And I must really say, good work TLC!

Greetings 'Bricks'

I checked out my local toy store today since the PM sets are coming out in february here o look if they already have it, and they did :cry_happy: Luckily, i had afew gift coupons from my birthday, so it only cost me 30 euro's to pick up the thunder driller and the crystal sweeper :grin:

Honestly, I have to disagree with almost all the comments posted here about the summer Power Miners sets. Unlike you guys, I despise all of these kits. Here's why:

Titanium Command Rig - A huge mobile base for the Power Miners had tons of potential, but it seems that lego totally ruined the idea by trying to base the entire set upon a transforming tower feature. :hmpf_bad: The result is that the whole kit is blocky, skeletony, and uninspired. Even parts like the cockpit are very simple and boring, and ironically, there's less space on this kit for the minifigures to move around than on the Crystal Sweeper! :hmpf:

Rock Wrecker - This set seriously feels like the epitome of gimmicky design. All you've really got here is a big lime box with strange back wheels, four diagonal saws tacked onto the sides, and a net launcher and jet engine piece in the back. Basically, a totally useless and silly kit. :thumbdown:

Crystal King - .... I don't really have anything to say about this one, except that whatever the set designers were thinking when making this, they really had rocks in their head. This brick built monster couldn't be scary and cool if it wanted to, but as it stands it basically a mine mech for the monsters - aka an extremely poor exo-force MOC that doesn't fit in the line at all. :sick:

Honestly, I couldn't be more disapointed about these summer kits. It seems that all the creative design and good concepts went into the winter kits, and it looks like the designers were out of ideas by the time they had to design the second wave. The only thing that I like about these kits is the new giant rock moster, but that isn't enough to warrant a purchase from me. I can only hope that the two remaining kits to be revealed will be better than this tripe. :sadnew:

Edited by Grevious

My thoughts on the new sets.

Titanium Command Rig - I am iffy on this. I will prob get it though. I do like the idea of a big mobile rig. Yes rig NOT base. I like the parts and do hope they come out with a base next year. I am liking these wheels more and more now. I could always use more.

Rock Wrecker - This is a silly set but some good pieces. I could use some nets and lime pieces. I HATE the back wheel. It looks just silly This is like a large tricycle.

Crystal King - .... I keep having to remember this is a KIDS theme. For me this set does nothing. For my nephews, they love it. I showed this to them and they want, want, want.

Despite the Command Rig's mediocrity, I still think it's miles above it's cousin:

8108-1.jpg

:sick:

Edited by Algernon

Wow, that's really a fail...

But as far as on the new sets...i think i have to say the same here as i already did in the castle thread, these are also prelim versions and they might look hugely different in the end.