cartoondude

Power Miners: New Sets for 2009

As far as i understood that it is supposed to be 90 $, and not 90 Euros.

in USA it should be 90$ in Europe it should be 90 euro

Thanks for these interesting pics, efekozik. :thumbup:

I really like these new sets, they look pretty cool and well designed.

The sad thing is that it's a good idea in theory, it's a good start to the base, but there is just nothing there. Plus it uses Pirate ship supports?

To me that base looks very detailed, playable and, hmm... even realistic somehow... and these masts seems to work really well...

One of the most charming (and fitting) LEGO theme bases in recent years, IMHO... :classic:

IMO, this set is not bad at all since you get everything that a mining station should have: pipelines, lights, lots of equipments.

But of course it could be better. I think the set is kind of empty, especially the huge "gap" between the two towers, maybe they can make a third tower (not as tall as the other 2) with a little digging machine? or a storage? or something else to fill up the gap?

And it would be nice if there are 2 vehicles instead of 1: maybe a small hovercraft (like the one from rock raiders). But the price will be a problem.

Basically I am satisfied with the set :classic:

Edited by Nohohon

I like this set a lot, and I totally agree - it should have had some more little accessories and vehicles and maybe a place to park them, but it's too bad that nothing can really be changed now that it has been released. Maybe if it had some more things it would be worth Lego's outrageous prices.

I still am strong with what I think. I think the set looks quite empty, and it could have at least come with a more impressive vehicle. There are aspects to like, but there are many to dislike. If you look back at the old rock raider base, that is an example of a functional base. Everything is connected, parts aren't slapped all over the place... it was solid. I think it needs a third tower, and then perhaps it would be better.

I still am strong with what I think. I think the set looks quite empty, and it could have at least come with a more impressive vehicle. There are aspects to like, but there are many to dislike. If you look back at the old rock raider base, that is an example of a functional base. Everything is connected, parts aren't slapped all over the place... it was solid. I think it needs a third tower, and then perhaps it would be better.

The only reason why the Rock Raiders HQ was more solid looking was because it was set on a huge baseplate. Take that away, and you have another pretty empty-looking base. Don't get me wrong, I like the Rock Raiders HQ, but I still think this set deserves a little more justice.

Probably 90. That thing looks incredible!
Oh eewww. The new pics of the command center make it look so bad! Its mostly support beams and technic garbage, making it looks so slapped together and shallow. This better be cheap, because that looks terrible! On the other hand, the cave crusher looks lovely.

So... this set went from "incredible" to "slapped together and shallow" for you? I think somebody needs to learn to take a closer look at pictures. :hmpf:

Oh and btw, I TOLD YOU SO! :tongue:

Seriously, though, after seeing these detailed pics, I kinda like the set more than before as well. It has an interesting design that fits well into the theme. It has good playability and some nice details (like the pipes between the tower, the crystal rocks beneath the towers, and the vents etc. atop the towers). Even the large wheel seems to make sense, now that I know that it is what reels the cablecar up. It reminds me of things from the industrial revolution era. And the use of pirate masts is pretty creative IMO. Sure, it could have used some more figs, and the space below the large tower seems a bit empty, but that space will be a nice place to park the buggy or Stone Chopper or Mine Mech. :thumbup:

One thing is for sure: It looks a whole lot better than the silly Command Rig. :tongue: When on sale, I might get this set.

Thanks for the pics! :classic:

So... this set went from "incredible" to "slapped together and shallow" for you? I think somebody needs to learn to take a closer look at pictures. :hmpf:

Whats the difference between a small thumbnail to a large photo? The details that you can't see before. From the small scan, the base looked quite good, and pretty solid. Now I see it is not so great. Sometimes first impressions aren't always the final result. And you need to watch your tone young man! :angry: *takes out belt*

Whats the difference between a small thumbnail to a large photo? The details that you can't see before. From the small scan, the base looked quite good, and pretty solid. Now I see it is not so great.

You call this a thumbnail? :wacko: True, it is a somewhat small picture and you can't see every single brick, but I think it was large enough to see most of its features and the overall design. :sadnew:

Sometimes first impressions aren't always the final result. And you need to watch your tone young man! :angry: *takes out belt*

True, I just thought it was funny how largely your opinion on the set was affected by pictures that didn't reveal too much new about the set. And I'm just saying that if people would take a closer look at things they wouldn't get so surprised sometimes. :wink:

Besides, I'm older than you, so shut up. :devil:

:tongue:

You call this a thumbnail? :wacko: True, it is a somewhat small picture and you can't see every single brick, but I think it was large enough to see most of its features and the overall design. :sadnew:

True, I just thought it was funny how largely your opinion on the set was affected by pictures that didn't reveal too much new about the set. And I'm just saying that if people would take a closer look at things they wouldn't get so surprised sometimes. :wink:

Besides, I'm older than you, so shut up. :devil:

:tongue:

Whatever man. For me, it was hard to tell what the overall set was like from that pic, I thought that those rocks under the plates on the bottom were the old piraka rock base plates, which I think would give it some depth. I looked, but I just didn't see the overall set. Who knows, maybe I'm going blind. *straps belt at Oky, misses and gets him in the groin*

I'll thank you two not to castrate each other. I will have to agree with Oky that the difference between the old and new pics isn't huge, although the big space at the bottom of the large tower is less obvious in the initial pic.

To each his own though. It will all depend on price for me. I doubt I'll shell out $90 for it, but $80 and below... maybe.

Hmmm... Another ho-hum PM set for me. :sceptic:

There are some nice things, but to me it's almost definitely not going to be worth the price it will be sold for. It's just too empty. Take the space under the tower on the right. There is nothing there except for the supports. Come on TLG, at least give us a few crates, supplies or something.

I also wish that it would come with some unique minifigs. Usually large exclusive sets like this include some new minifig as a selling point, but this doesn't. To me it seems like TLG doesn't really care about this line's quality anymore. The first wave of sets were much better I think.

I'm not sure about that PM base :sceptic:

The tower holding the dynamite pieces looks pretty good, but the tower with that green wheel is just a bit strange and looks incomplete.

The entire set looks like a crappified 8634 Turbo Car Chase w/o the turbo car or heli, yet you're paying almost twice as much. :thumbdown:

you compare it with THIS?! No offense, but honestly, the only similarities i can see there is that big light :look:

Seconded. That and the support beams are the only similarities. 8634 is a vehicle based set, this is a building based set. And this set is twice as large as 8634, so I really don't see your point, daxflame680. :sceptic:

What I heard at Brickworld was that the mining station is supposed to retail for $79.99 USD. IMO, I never found the set appealing at all - not from the prelims, the closer box pic, or in person (at Brickworld), but that's just me.

Well it seems a tad bit more interesting that the Rock Raiders HQ (I think that's what it's called...hehe) but I probably won't get it since it seems a bit high. Like the design.

The other new PM set, I would really love to own. I think it looks the best out of all the power miner vehicles.

Hey guys, check out some of this stuff. Prototype monsters and vehicle stuff. : D