cartoondude

Power Miners: New Sets for 2009

Is the base an exclusive? It has a normal number so I can see it as a TRU/Target exclusive.

And I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks it's a one year theme. It seems like they were planning on it 2-3 year theme (Didn't LEGO even say that late last year?) and now we have all theme sets. Maybe LEGO realized the theme is very very very limited, and they have too much planned for next year so they will ditch it and move on. Then maybe in 2011 bring it back as Super Power Miner or something. lol

I still haven't bought a single set (I buy most sets in September to December, and will need to get a few small ones for the rock guys. :)

It might have some function, but it's probably just to look cool. Personally I think it adds some interesting geometry to the largest tower.

I don't know why, but I'm not so impressed by this set. I was kinda hoping for something more along the lines of the Rock Raiders HQ. Oh well. It's still a pretty descent set :thumbup: (more so than the Command Rig :hmpf: ). I guess I'l have to wait for a review to make a final judgment.

I wonder what's the big big wheel (from exo-force) do... probably part of a mechanism that deals with crystals? because I see crystals coming out from the middle of the right section

You're probably right. I guess you put the crystals in somewhere at the top and turn the wheel, the crystals get processed pointlessly, and they come out at the bottom. Kinda like the Dwarf Mine.

I gotta say, the RR HQ looked much to symmetric and, don't know..simple to me, and also it had a baseplate, so i like this much better!

I gotta say, the RR HQ looked much to symmetric and, don't know..simple to me, and also it had a baseplate, so i like this much better!

I have to agree completely. :thumbup:

I love symmetric!

The 'power miners' base' set is being sold in Istanbul/Turkey along with the long vehichle thing, i was going to take a pic. of it for you guys to see the box but unfortunately the store owners didnt let me to take one..

The good thing is that the 'Power Miners' Base' set is not too big (like compared to the King's castle siege box). The wheel is a part of the mechanism that makes the cabin move alongside the towers of the base!

oh and the 'miners' base' set is an exclusive / limited edition set!

Edited by efekozik

That's stupid, why wouldn't they let one make a picture? It would only be promotion for them and nobody would get hurt, for god's sake :hmpf: I'd just take a picture with a little cam or a cell phone when nobody looks :P

That's stupid, why wouldn't they let one make a picture? It would only be promotion for them and nobody would get hurt, for god's sake :hmpf: I'd just take a picture with a little cam or a cell phone when nobody looks :P

unfortunately, i didn't have time to sneak and take a pic. of the set but i'll take one tomorrow :thumbup:

The 'power miners' base' set is being sold in Istanbul/Turkey along with the long vehichle thing, i was going to take a pic. of it for you guys to see the box but unfortunately the store owners didnt let me to take one..

The good thing is that the 'Power Miners' Base' set is not too big (like compared to the King's castle siege box). The wheel is a part of the mechanism that makes the cabin move alongside the towers of the base!

oh and the 'miners' base' set is an exclusive / limited edition set!

It would be greatly appreciated if you can also get us the prices for the 2 sets :) Thanks

Here are the pics :thumbup:

http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/6434/fotoraf0027.jpg

http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/7251/fotoraf0028.jpg

http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/4280/fotoraf0025t.jpg

http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/7715/fotoraf0024.jpg

The command Post set was being sold for 125 euros, but in Turkey Legos are more expensive than in Germany, Holland etc. It has 3 miners minifigs and a big rock creature :)

So i guess its price is going to be 90 euros. max 100. Its box was as big as the troll warship box.

The other set (cave digger i guess) is being sold for 85 euros. For the rest of Europe i guess it's price is going to be like 60 or 70 euros.

Oh eewww. The new pics of the command center make it look so bad! Its mostly support beams and technic garbage, making it looks so slapped together and shallow. This better be cheap, because that looks terrible! On the other hand, the cave crusher looks lovely.

That is really horrible. :laugh:

The sad thing is that it's a good idea in theory, it's a good start to the base, but there is just nothing there. Plus it uses Pirate ship supports?

The sad thing is that the set is still most likely going to be $90USD. Just look at the $60-$70 crystal harvester with 400ish pieces. LEGO prices this year are all over the map. Eww....

I don't know what you two are on about. This thing captures the idea of a mining facility perfectly. It's got floodlights, some lovely detail in the top of the main tower, some pressure tubes between the bases, a very cool little robotic dump truck, and even what appears to be a dumping mechanism for the zip line bucket.

The only weaknesses I see is the godawful flick-fire rack on top of the small tower and the wasted space beneath the main tower. Otherwise I think this set looks quite strong. It almost looks like an oil rig and I think it fits the "underground" concept very well.

And yes, the Cave Crusher looks as sweet as ever. I think I'll be picking up both of these.

I fully agree with Algernon here. I don't see why it shall look worse now with the new pictures, i like it even more than before! The functionality seems pretty good, and it doesn't look childish or weak at all imo. The only think i could complain about is, that there are not enough minifigs, and that there maybe should be a bit more equipment or some brick-built machines (like the grinding machine in the new city garage). Other than that it's a full win, and i will buy it for sure :thumbup:

I fully agree with Algernon here. I don't see why it shall look worse now with the new pictures, i like it even more than before! The functionality seems pretty good, and it doesn't look childish or weak at all imo. The only think i could complain about is, that there are not enough minifigs, and that there maybe should be a bit more equipment or some brick-built machines (like the grinding machine in the new city garage). Other than that it's a full win, and i will buy it for sure :thumbup:

Yeah, I think it should have come with a rock monster in an exclusive color.

I think what people criticize is not the design of the set, but the piece number / price ratio. Yes, Indeed it's a good designed set, but it should have been around 60 - 70 euros not 90 - 100 euros.