cartoondude

Power Miners: New Sets for 2009

I'd kill for a good clear pic of those price cards about now :sceptic:

http://www.toywiz.com/legominers.html has pre-order pricing in the US, these prices are all well above regular retail, but it gives you a ball park.

Lego Power Miners Set #8964 Titanium Command Ring

Pre-Order ships September

Price: $119.99

Lego Power Miners Set #8963 Rock Wrecker

Price: $39.99

Lego Power Miners Set #8962 Crystal King

Price: $24.99

and for comparison

Lego Power Miners Set #8958 Granite Grinder

New!

Price: $22.99 (ouch which is only $9.99 US)

New Rockmonster keychain :wub:

852506-0000-xx-12-1.jpg

Hm... The Crystal King was starting to grow on me with all his neon-green goodness, but these pics from ToyFair kinda ruined it for me. :sceptic: He looks weird in those pics. It looks like he lost all of his teeth and had them replaced by crystals. Oh well, if I see this set for a good price, I'll still pick it up probably.

The other Rock monster bosses look pretty good though. :thumbup: Kinda like updates to the Rock Raiders monsters.

Overall, I'm not liking this new wave. :sceptic: I have a feeling that this theme will die quickly. :sadnew:

I can't get over how incredibly bad the Crystal King is. It has a huge, <insert that tiresome argument> head and some of the worst construction I have -EVER- seen. My little brother could build a better set than that. What was LEGO thinking?

The other two are better, but not incredible. I'm almost glad of this- my wallet is already wincing from the dent Space Police 3 will put into it.

What are you talking about? They had blue helmets since the beginning of the line...

Now, now, no need to be rude. I haven't paid much attention to this line because I typically follow Star Wars. So the helmet is new to me. How about using a bit more tact when addressing a fellow member, eh?

I agree with the majority on this wave. As much as I absolutely love the first wave (own and adore every set and their great functions), these new sets don't exactly have me stoked right now. The Titanium Rig is the only one I would even think of displaying with my current sets, and even then it would be the clear loser of the bunch. The saw thing is hideous; it looks like no amount of mods can save that thing. As for the Crystal King, I just might pick it up and take a crack at completely rebuilding him my way.

Any chance that these are still gonna see some post-prelim changes? If not, the only decent thing to come out of these will be the mid size monsters, and even then they aren't amazing. If this is all wave 2 has to offer, I also forsee a swift end to this line :cry_sad: .

I agree with maegnus. The first wave was great, the next is a bit lacking. I think I will pick up the Crystal King as well, if not for the parts to make into a better king.

I am wondering though... what is up with the miner that the Crystal King is holding? He has the miner clothes, but not helmet, just nicely combed hair. I guess he goes in the command rig, and the commander does not need a helmet?

I have enjoyed the set so far, with fun building, some interesting playability, some different pieces in strange colors I did not have, and of course the ability to make what ever I want.

Now, now, no need to be rude. I haven't paid much attention to this line because I typically follow Star Wars. So the helmet is new to me. How about using a bit more tact when addressing a fellow member, eh?

He wasn't really being all that rude... that's a typical reaction on the internet. :tongue:

Do we have prices on these yet?

He wasn't really being all that rude... that's a typical reaction on the internet. :tongue:

Do we have prices on these yet?

Internet or not, we are all big boys here and I don't think it's too much to ask to show a little respect for others.

Back on topic, the Titanium Command Ring is a very impressive piece of work. The wheels are very nice.

I personally would perfer tracks instead of wheels on the titanium command rig and a larger drill and cockpit . then and only then would it be a killer set for me.

I'm also a little suprised at the price of the crystal king. 19.99 canadian would be much more reasonable , but i guess we can't have everything :sadnew:

I'm all for lime green supports... but when did they ruin the mold like that? The black supports I have from like 1999 were all sorts of AWESOME. These ones look "cheap".

They swapped these in the changeover of 06-07. I think they were first officially in Aqua Raiders sets, but later production runs of sets like the Building Crane and Airport swapped the old supports for the new ones. I didn't like them at first either but they grow on you :classic:

I think the Rock king is the best! We get many gray pieces, new torso and face for monsters! I think brickbuild monster is really good idea, It even looks beter than this rock "catapult" monsters. But I am sad becouse I thougt we will get a big blue monster.. Glaciator is the best!

I'm sort of divided on these so far... At first glance they look kind of skeletal, and I don't really like the designs as much as the ones in the first wave.

But then again, they don't look too bad and the large set has some interesting concepts.

I do have to say that I definitely don't understand that Crystal King. :wacko: Is he like the leader of the monsters or something?

That set's design is very odd and I'm not a big fan of it.

As for the medium sized set, I haven't gotten a good enough view of it to decide, but it certainly is different with all of the saws on the front.

As with the first wave, we'll just have to wait and see for ourselves! :sweet:

I think the Rock king is the best! We get many gray pieces, new torso and face for monsters! I think brickbuild monster is really good idea, It even looks beter than this rock "catapult" monsters. But I am sad becouse I thougt we will get a big blue monster.. Glaciator is the best!

The crystal king is bad because its A) 20$ B) Not proportioned C) <insert that tiresome argument> D) no point.

There realy is no point and the head looks hard to use. It would be ok as a 10 or 15 dollar set but not 20.

Edited by Natman4000

The crystal king is bad because its A) 20$ B) Not proportioned C) <insert that tiresome argument> D) no point.

There realy is no point and the head looks hard to use. It would be ok as a 10 or 15 dollar set but not 20.

E.Not even symmetrical.

F. (? Can the teeth element be removed I wonder?)

Whatta' mess. That is NO $20 figure, like at all.

E.Not even symmetrical.

F. (? Can the teeth element be removed I wonder?)

Whatta' mess. That is NO $20 figure, like at all.

Hell yeah! True. They really need to fix up the feet and beef up the legs and arms.

Hell yeah! True. They really need to fix up the feet and beef up the legs and arms.

I think it was honestly a bad idea to begin with. System does not render large bipedal figures well. This was proven with Exo-Force and Creator and this set is just solidifying that principle.

I think it was honestly a bad idea to begin with. System does not render large bipedal figures well. This was proven with Exo-Force and Creator and this set is just solidifying that principle.

I think the only way for them to fix the king is to juniorise the small parts that make it look like a rolled up tube of toothpaste.