Number of Pieces: 118

Number of Minifigs: 1

Price: 9.99 USD/ 13.99 EUR/ 8.99 GBP

Theme: Star Wars/ Episode III

Year Released: 2006

Brickset

Folder

Bricklink Catalog

Welcome to this review of the V-Wing Fighter. This will be my eighth review on the boards. Strangely enough, there was another set called the V-Wing Fighter that came out in 1997 for the Space theme. Note that I am missing several small pieces to this set, but they are mostly insignificant to the overall look.

The Box

2819316600_bb24205df4_o.jpg

This is the standard box type for all 2005-2006 Star Wars sets. I can't say that I like it as much as the 2007 or 2008 box types, but it'll do. It features a profile view of Darth Vader and silver text.

Overview

2858399828_0c2047a96b_o.jpg

This is the whole set. This ship is meant to protect the Chancellor at all costs. They are usually found in groups of three or four.

Front

2818320377_60457127f0_o.jpg

This ship is very sleek, and you'll notice that it's colors are dark red, light bley, and dark bley with a touch of black. It starts at the nose very narrow, but as the body progresses to the back, it gets wider, like a "V" (hence the name).

Back

2819301996_8dba60afe1_o.jpg

Here is a view of the rear. Note the trans-neon green discs used to represent the boosters. Also notice the dark red R4 astro droid and the hinges used as aromor.

Flight

2819168250_67c78a2949_o.jpg

All four wings (two on each side) can open up for flight/ attack mode. They can open even farther then the pic shows, but it's not an intended function. The wings a great, but it's a real pain to position them correctly, and the bottom wings close when you set the ship down.

Tail fins

2819139102_beb595d833_o.jpg

This is what the tail fins look like on each side, with two flaps attached to the top and bottom. If you look closely, the tail fins and wings look a little bit like a mini ship themselves, maybe controlled by remote. No, this is not an intended function, either.

Guns, side

2818292811_c04db641c9_o.jpg

The guns are very simple but very clever, using a double Technic hole piece, two black bars, and two Technic pins. Also note the landing gear.

Minifig

2828537237_71cd662222_o.jpg

Finally, here is the minifig: a clone pilot. It has light blue arms and legs, white hands, a helmet with black markings and Republic insignia on it, and a double-sided torso. The front of the torso is great, featuring shoulder straps, armor plating, and a life support system. While this minifig is not altogether accurate to the movie, it has still been one of my favorite Star Wars figs.

Back

2829374622_b7d207ef3b_o.jpg

The back of the fig that can double as the front of clone marines. This side features shoulder straps and armor plating.

Cockpit

2819191258_70e17bbbbf_o.jpg

Lastly, here is the pilot seated in the cockpit. He fits perfectly, although it is not air-tight. We wouldn't want the poor guy to suffocate, now would we?

That wraps up the review, here is the

FINAL VERDICT:

Build: 8/10, a nice, easy, build, and the last of the small SW ships ($10 or less).

Playability: 6/10, pretty fun to swoosh around, but that's about it. Could use a vulture droid, but that would take away the 'small' factor.

Swooshability: 10/10, very fun and easy to swoosh around endlessly, without fear of it breaking.

Minifigs: 9/10, there really is no need to have more, although a Palpy fig would be outstanding. The pilot is a great figure though.

Design: 9/10, extremely accurate to the movie, but the cockpit is not airtight.

Price: 10/10, you couldn't ask for a better deal!

Overall Score: 8.6, an excellent set. Unfortunately, this is the last of the small SW ships currently. The fig is great, and the sleek design is accurate.

That just about sums it all up, feel free to leave your comments!

Edited by JimButcher

This was a great set for the price. Ten dollars for a cool minifigure and a decent sized ship is great.

Yeah this was an ok set.

I remember getting a few of these at TRU.

The boxes were smashed up and I got some 30 percent off.

(Still not as cheap as regular US price :sick: )

Some ok bricks and a great minifig.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and opinions on this set :grin:

I'll rate this set as average.

Oh, yeah I've added the review to the index.

This was a great set for the price. Ten dollars for a cool minifigure and a decent sized ship is great.

Indeed, it is.

Yeah this was an ok set.

I remember getting a few of these at TRU.

The boxes were smashed up and I got some 30 percent off.

(Still not as cheap as regular US price :sick: )

Some ok bricks and a great minifig.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and opinions on this set :grin:

I'll rate this set as average.

Oh, yeah I've added the review to the index.

Thanks for the index, KimT. By the way, a certain someone recommended that I should change the fig pics, so I did that. :wink:

Edited by JimButcher

Thanks for the review. This set never got me, so I didn't get it! :tongue: I also don't like the droid-head-only thing and I haven't bought any set like that. I planned to buy this on sale... but it never happend.

I had a chance to get this set, but I didnt :cry_sad: I really wish I did though because I saw it at my cuz's place not to long ago and it's quite nice :thumbup: I wish TLG would do more $20 small sets like this besides BP (although they are nice :wub: )