• 5. Outstanding

indexed.gif

Review of 7670 Hailfire Droid and Spider Droid *Updated*

Theme: SW Episode II / Clone Wars

Parts: 249 (- figs)

Figs: 4

Price: £20.00, $20.00, �‚�25.99

Year: 2008

I think many people were deterred from this set because of the low piece count and a high price for it although it does come with 4 minfigures.

1. Overall set and figs

Official box pic. This indicates it is a Geonosis set from the background but it is no different from any other set same old brown separatist ship/s.

7670box2.jpg

The whole set. Some red tan droids would have been nice like in the Geonosian fighter set.

set01.jpg

All the minifigs. The super battle droid body is slightly different to the one in the BP. It looks more grainy and silver. I doubt this has any relevance for it being a geonosis set but I like them better how they were in the BP's

figs01.jpg

The Super Battle droid body dwarfing the commander droids body. I think that the new Commander droids body is better than the old one with just the yellow strip even though it is less accurate.

figs02.jpg

New twisted Battle Droid arm, each droid has one of these. I don't really like having droids with these new guns I think the older guns suited them much better.

figs03.jpg

2. Hailfire Droid

Hailfire droid by itself. It is certainly smaller than the original. Seeming as this is the main part of the set I was hoping it would be bigger but I don't mind it being this small too much.

hf01.jpg

Wheels and rockets can fold outwards and inwards

hf02.jpg

hf03.jpg

The wheels which spin round two large clear discs and made from loads of these tiny links. This is probably the best way to make the wheels on this small scale. The only other alternatives I can think of are using the tracks from the Wookiee Attack set or catterpilla tracks, both of which wouldn't look right.

hf04.jpg

One of the missile pods. These use the new flick-fire missiles which don't fall out are an excellent idea. They should have come with the purple cones like on the Magna guards staffs instead of red though because in the film the missiles are purple.

hf05.jpg

One of the new flickfire missiles that don't drop out when the model is tilted forward. I don't know what the holes in them are for though.

hf06.jpg

The 3 "eyes" are made up of 2 trans red cheese bricks for the sides and 1 trans red stud for the center.You can also see how the missile pods are attached to the side of the body.

hf07.jpg

This is the back of the Hailfire Droid. There is a plate with a hole in, I have found only one purpose for this.

hf08.jpg

The Hailfire Droid is the Commander droids war chariot! What do you use the plate for?

hf09.jpg

3. Spider Droid

The Spider Droid. The design has been greatly improved from the Wookiee attack set. Not only is it more accurate but also more poseable which is useful when setting up battle scenes.

sd01.jpg

The ball joint provides the place to put the antenna which isn't long enough but the dome form the old set looks more like the droid form Star wars Episode II.

sd04.jpg

The eyes are made of a telephone piece with 2 trans red studs on. In the original it had orange studs. The eyes can be seen in action 2 pics down.

sd02.jpg

I told you it was a telephone.

sd03.jpg

1 of 4 identical legs. These are very easy to adjust into what ever position you want and are much better than the originals. But a word of warning never pull them apart as I did they become very loose when put back together so I put some blue tack in the holes.

sd05.jpg

4.Overall

Build: 7/10 A little to repetitive for my liking.

Minifigs: 8/10 4 figs for £20 isn't too bad plus they come with new guns.

Design: 9/10 Both vehicles are very well designed but the hailfire's small size let the set down.

Parts: 8/10 Comes with lots of useful (maybe not :wink: ) Brown track links.

Price:7/10 Not too bad with 4 figs and loads of little brown links.

Playability: 6/10 Not to much on it's own

Overall: 7/10 If it came with some clones and tan red droids it would be better.

Afetr Jar Jar wiped out a small droid patrold he realized he was being watched

Mesa in big dodo this time...

funny01.jpg

This is the back of the Hailfire Droid. There is a plate with a hole in, I have found only one purpose for this.

hf08.jpg

The Hailfire Droid is the Commander droids war chariot! What do you use the plate for?

hf09.jpg

The plate with the hole in it is for an easy grip when you push it around, I think. Nice review by the way. I think the telephone piece is great, if a little bit over-sized.

The plate with the hole in it is for an easy grip when you push it around, I think. Nice review by the way. I think the telephone piece is great, if a little bit over-sized.

I never thought f that But I guess that's what it is for unless it is for a trailer.

This was an exellent review :thumbup:

Keep them coming.

-Ras-

And I agree.

You've gotten super at this reivew stuff.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and views on this set.

Personally I love the Hailfire droid and the rest of the set is: meh!

Nice review! Keep up the good-reviewness work!