1. 1. On a scale from 1 to 5

• Poor
    • Below Average
    • Average
    • Above Average
    • Outstanding

indexed.gif

Alakazam!

The good wizard is the wisest minifig in all of LEGOland. He is a master of the wand and can see the future. With these abilities, he helps the knights predict where the Trolls will strike next.

Because this set is not in stores in the U.S., I was luckily able to buy this set on my vacation to Germany. It is interesting that it is a Euro exclusive.

5614 The Good Wizard

5614-1.jpg

Set Info

Set Name: 5614 The Good Wizard

Theme: Castle

Released: 2008

Price: EUR 2.95-GBP 1.99

Pieces: 16

Minifigs: 1

The Review

Unfortunately I don't have the box, because in got smushed in my suitcase on the plane, so needless to say, it was not in top condition...

The Manual

The manual is an extremely small fold-out. But the image on the front is nice.

reviews_031.jpg

On the back of the manual, there is a picture of some of the 2008 impulse sets. This is a nice feature.

reviews_032.jpg

The Parts

For an impulse set this has a pretty good selection. A very nice owl, and an interesting clear ball piece.

reviews_030.jpg

All built

This set took me forever to build. I had to take numerous breaks as it was the toughest, longest build I have ever faced! :tongue:

For an impulse set, this actually looks pretty good. The owl perch is nice, also the crystal ball table. The wizard is a very nice fig, with great printing on the legs and hat, and I love his beard.

reviews_033.jpg

Brickshelf Gallery

The Ratings

Price: 8/10 (Not bad, but I feel that impulse sets are slightly overpriced)

Parts: 7/10 (Impulse sets are focused around the minifig, but the parts in this set are pretty good)

Design: 7/10 (The crystal ball is a good idea, and the owl perch is simple but nice)

Playability: 6/10 (There is not much to play with here)

Build: 8/10 (As I said before, it took forever. Really it took all of 1 minute)

Minifig: 10/10 (The wizard is fantastic)

Overall: 46/60

Bricklink

LEGO S@H

Brickset

Abracadabra, blades of four...

reviews_034.jpg

You are now a dinosaur!

reviews_035.jpg

Summary

For an impulse set, this is very nice. The wizard is an excellent fig, and getting an animal in a cheap set is always great.

I would definitely recommend this set.

Thanks, and happy building! :classic:

Good review for a simple set. While it does come with the basics for an impulse set, I just feel that it lacks something though I am not sure what. Perhaps a printed magic scroll? I am still not a fan of the printed cap (especially the stars), but I do like the printed pants displaying his various goodies hanging from his belt. The plain torso is to be expected from a wizard minifig I suppose. Overall, it's not a bad set but it certainly feels to be lacking something, IMO.

Thanks for the review. I love this impulse set, I bought two of them so I could make a Wizard and his apprentice. I didn't have an owl either so an extra is pretty cool, and I like the trans globe piece.

Batbrick Away! :devil:

Kudos on a well presented and written review. I think the reason this set didn't release in US was because it didn't have any warnings about choking anywhere on the box, therefore no lawsuits in US for LEGO.

Cheers

ISC :skull:

Kudos on a well presented and written review. I think the reason this set didn't release in US was because it didn't have any warnings about choking anywhere on the box, therefore no lawsuits in US for LEGO.

Cheers

ISC :skull:

No that's not the reason.

I'm sure you'll get this set eventually.

As for the box, well, there's always been 2 box-designs - one for the US and one for EU (actually there's an Asian one as well). The EU doesn't have the box count or the don't swallow (we know that). The US version has the brick count and don't swallow warning (typical US).

Thanks for a super review strawberry-ice-man.

I like the wizard, I'm only sorry they put him in an impulse set.

Who'd want an army of medium blue wizards?

So it's the worst army builder, but a cool wizard.

Does that make sense?