16 members have voted

1. 1. Vote your opinion

• Poor
    • Below Average
    • Average
    • Above Average
    • Outstanding

indexed.gif

Product: 7681 Separatist Spider Droid™ (SSD)

Theme: Star Wars: The Clone Wars

No of pieces: 206

Release Date: 26 July 2008

RRP: SGD59.90/USD29.90

Availability: Lego Shop@Home, Target, Toys 'R' Us (Worldwide).

LegoSSDCW01.jpg

Conquer the galaxy, one planet at a time!

Unleash the power of the Separatist Spider Droid™! This towering engine of mechanical destruction from the Clone Wars strides across hostile terrain on four independently positionable stilt legs, then uses its movable laser cannons to blast Republic forces.

• Includes Commander Fox™, Clone Trooper™, Battle Droid™, Super Battle Droid™ and Battle Droid Commander™ minifigures!
  • Rotate the laser cannon on top!
  • Laser cannon underneath bends to change direction!
  • Measures 6" (15cm) tall and 10½" (27cm) wide!

Also known as the homing spider droid, this is what I would usually reckon as a mini-fig set if not for the high price point. Since there's a total of 5 mini-figs to be had, and at least 3 of them are going to be high sought after.(Commander Fox™, Clone Trooper™, Battle Droid Commander™).

LegoSSDCW03.jpg

At first glance, it looked like there's only 3 packets. Actually, it's a total of 4 packets, 1 of the packet is inside the biggest packet.

LegoSSDCW02.jpg

LegoSSDCW04.jpg

It's not a very complex build. Took me around 25min since I was playing around with the mini-figs more than I was building up the spider droid. Though finally, here's the completed build-up.

LegoSSDCW05.jpg

Usually for lego products, what excites me are the vehicles, yet this set is the other way round. Yes, the mini-figs are definitely the crowd-pleaser this time.

On with the review. Here's the close-ups of the droids in the following order,

Battle Droid Commander™, Battle Droid™, & Super Battle Droid™.

LegoSSDCW06.jpg

LegoSSDCW07.jpg

LegoSSDCW08.jpg

There's not much to comment on the droids, except that the battle droids come with the new arm that's able to hold the blaster properly upright.

The SBD is the same dude that can be found easily in the previous droid battlepack.

And now the good part... Clone troopers.

LegoSSDCW09.jpg

LegoSSDCW10.jpg

LegoSSDCW11.jpg

And that's commander fox, and his trooper.

I was quite mystified by the amount of accessories given to the clone troopers as per the instruction booklet, as there wasn't any indication of what they were... (commlink, grenades, sensor scope, range finder?!?)

LegoSSDCW12.jpg

Then it hit me... real hard.

LegoSSDCW13.jpg

LegoSSDCW14.jpg

Notice anything yet?

Yup, it's a night scope, and a range finder. That, plus the visor that's available to Fox too. Now, this is really a good time to start troop building for the clone wars. :twisted:

Here's the weaponary.

LegoSSDCW15.jpg

Of course, let not forget the main dude...

Fore:

LegoSSDCW16.jpg

Port:

LegoSSDCW17.jpg

Aft:

LegoSSDCW18.jpg

Starboard:

LegoSSDCW19.jpg

The SSD looks very similar to the actual screenshots from AOTC, though am still wondering what's that little translucent red piece for...

A re-enactment.

LegoSSDCW20.jpg

And a comparison.

SSDCWComparison.jpg

This set is really either a miss or a hit. For me, it's a hit, due to the mini-fig count, and the wide array of accessories. It's going to probably be a hit depending on the movie that's coming out this month, since we have commander fox here(I heard that C.Fox hasbro figure is a Target Exclusive, meaning it's gonna be another highly sought after). This set is also stated to be a limited edition, and seeing as how it's only available so far in only 1 toys r us in sg, this just might not be available anymore after the movie starts. :D

Comments: This review was done immediately after the Launch of the clone wars toys at the midnight launch on 26 July on a local starwars fan forum. And after having caught the movie only yesterday, I now only have this to say, "It's not part of the movie!?!". Oh well, Cmdr. Fox probably will fair better once the TV series starts proper. Then again, that less-than-one-minute cameo of him, I do find it unforgivable. :tongue:

This being the 2nd review available, I sincerely hope you guys enjoy it. :grin:

I did enjoy it :classic:

Thanks for sharing your thoughts in this set and reviewing it.

I'll add it to the index.

Maybe you should consider joining the Reviewers Academy and rule the Galaxy (or something :tongue: )

:thumbup:

The SSD looks very similar to the actual screenshots from AOTC, though am still wondering what's that little translucent red piece for...

I assumed it was the Droid's eye.

Great review BTW. Now I know what all the little bits are! I have this set as well, I quite like the Droid.

Dr. S.

So thats what all those miscellaneous parts are for...Anyway, great review, and I like that you took pictures of everything from different angles.

I assumed it was the Droid's eye.

Great review BTW. Now I know what all the little bits are! I have this set as well, I quite like the Droid.

Dr. S.

Dr. S. Yup, only notice it after re-watching AOTC. It's the sensor for visual data. TLC gave the better effect than Hasbro, since they made it glow like in the movie.

KimT, not at the moment, since I have slowed down quite abit due to my day job. Though, I still definitely enjoy the company here to contribute more reviews when available(meaning after I find a better way to co-exist both my hasbro and lego stuff spending).

millacol88, yup, those accessories definitely makes me want to start lego clone troop building.

Valentin, nice review! I was thinking of doing this review, and realised there were 3 reviews being done for this lovely set. I must admit this is an amazing set, after buying it in TRU for SGD$49.90 (15% discount). I like the comparison of both spider droid even though one is not LEGO. Thanks for doing this lovely review. It's enjoyable to read. :sweet:

Thanks. Keke, imagine the horror that gripe my heart to see the discounted price on the SG's Toys 'R' Us Flyer about a month after its release into retail. :cry_sad:

Anyway, looking forward to your other reviews too. :sweet:

Thanks. Keke, imagine the horror that gripe my heart to see the discounted price on the SG's Toys 'R' Us Flyer about a month after its release into retail. :cry_sad:

Anyway, looking forward to your other reviews too. :sweet:

Hey Valentin and White Fang!

Glad to see fellow SGs here!

More reviews pls.... :laugh:

There's plenty of reviews in the Review Index.

(Pinned topic)