96 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

• Outstanding!
    • Above average.
    • Average.
    • Below average.
    • Poor.

hi,

baaack to business... :tongue: I promised it and you'll get it. In fact- here, have it.

my all-time-favorite-LEGO-set:

p1090649klein.jpg

#1 useless information with high numbers:

This set contains 1343 parts and was released in 1994 in the TECHNIC theme.

The average price on Bricklink is 222,52USD or 488,78USD if you want it new.

It weights 2625 grams and the box measures 52.5cm x 38cm x 9.5cm.

Thank Bricklink for that information! :grin:

#2 the box:

Front:

p1090650klein.jpg

Back:

p1090654klein.jpg

Open:

p1090655klein.jpg

I don’t know many boxes that open like that: Just fold out the brackets and lift the top.

p1090656klein.jpg

#3 building instructions:

They’re also special: You don’t need to search trough the 92 pages. Just flip the booklet and you can build the alternate model.

p1090657klein.jpg

Random page: “old-school-technic-style”. And a little bit difficult to follow.

Note: compared with the 8880s building instructions, all the newer instructions are really <insert that tiresome argument>. They even made a scheme with a 90° angle

p1090658klein.jpg

There are some high-quality-pictures in the middle, where the two instructions meet. Also a very nice feature.

p1090659klein.jpg

This time I couldn’t make a #4 the parts: and #5 building: section. sorry.

#6 functionality of the main model:

steering, trunk, hidden headlamps:

p1090660-klein.jpg

p1090661klein.jpg

the mechanism for the steering (red) and the headlamps (green)

p1090665kleinmod.jpg

V8-engine and suspension:

p1090663klein.jpg

four-wheel drive and four-wheel steering:

p1090662klein.jpg

4 speed gear shift (?) no reverse:

p1090668klein.jpg

p1090670klein.jpg

highly comfortable seats: :wink:

p1090671klein.jpg

#7 functionality of the alternate model:

suspension:

p1090674-klein.jpg

steering:

p1090675-klein.jpg

2 speed gear shift:

p1090676-klein.jpg

p1090678-klein.jpg

V8-engine:

p1090685-klein.jpg

p1090687-klein.jpg

for more information: visit technicopedia!

#8 random shots of the main model:

(feel free to ask for a 3264x2448px-version of this picture:)

p1090667klein.jpg

p1090666-klein.jpg

p1090672klein.jpg

p1090673-klein.jpg

#9 random shots of the alternate model:

(feel free to ask for a 3264x2448px-version of this picture:)

p1090684-klein.jpg

p1090686-klein.jpg

p1090681-klein.jpg

p1090683-klein.jpg

#10 somewhat artistic shots:

p1090715-klein.jpg

p1090712-klein.jpg

p1090713-klein.jpg

p1090714-klein.jpg

#11 high quality pictures from TLG:

I scanned and edited them a little bit.

320px-pic here linked to a 1024px-pic on brickshelf.

scannen0041-klein.jpg scannen0042-klein.jpg

scannen0043-klein.jpg scannen0044-klein.jpg

scannen0045-klein.jpg

#12 final thoughts:

I got this really-freaking-great set with 10 years and two others later from ebay - but I still know which of these three is the one from my childhood. :sweet:

It’s way(s) better than all the former supercars (even if some functions are missing), because it was the “first” technic set that combined size, functionality and appearance. (Okay, I don’t want to make exceptions here, because there are also other great sets. but I love this one! :wub: )

If you get a chance to get yourself a 8880, take it. build it. hug it.

So. I'm calling it a day and just want to point out two things:

take a look at My Massive Collection Of 8880s and my 8880 brickshelf folder, where I got a lot more photos than here (when public, of course)

Thanks for reading/watching and feel free to comment!

Thanks for the review! Tis is a really classi set, and I wish they would release it once again. :classic:

thanks for your reply!

Rereleasing this set would be a little bit difficult, for I've heard that the production/molding of a Technic Brick is more difficult than a Technic Beam we use nowadays. There are also a lot of other parts TLG produces anymore today.

btw: feel free to use some pics as wallpapers, if you want.

Great review on a great set! :thumbup:

Though mine is in pieces and really really has some play damage, i love this set too.

I could drive it over my system cars, ram buildings to pieces, make a jump over a shoot and feel like evil knievel....ah the memories :wub:

Thanks for this great review Bernd!

I've added a poll so people can rate this set, i voted outstanding. :sweet:

thanks for the poll!

I can remember that my dad said that he believes my 8880 will take no damage if he drops it to the ground from one metre height. I just said: "no."

something I totally forgot in my review: a first aid guide! because there are two things which will "always" break if you play with your 8880:

the steering: 5 pics starts with this picture

and the chain links: also 5 pics, starts with this picture

If you own the 8880 already as child, you'll know what I mean! :classic:

Edited by BerndDasBrot

I drooled over this set in the catalog back in 1994... So big, the biggest Legoset upto that date... :wub:

Only a year ago I managed to find it second hand on the internet for 50 euro's including the instructions but with some yellowing on most of the white pieces.

The functions are really cool to watch, the only thing that slightly dissapointed me was the fact that the steering is quite stiff to operate and so is driving the car around in first gear. But that all comes down to the hugeness of the vehicle: I don't think I own a bigger set (in dimensions that is).

Everything is cleverly worked out and there are some pieces that only appear in this set, like the white part with the gearshifter in the middle and the grey half opened axles holding the wheels in place.

I noticed the fact that Captain Green Hair has also placed a comment on this set: we talked about this car (remember Mr. Hair?) and you said that you could build this entire machine in a time of under two hours.... Now there's some bragging that needs serious evidence one day...! :devil::grin:

Thanks for this lovely review Bernd, I think I will vote outstanding!

hi,

baaack to business... :tongue: I promised it and you'll get it. In fact- here, have it.

my all-time-favorite-LEGO-set:

Thanks for reading/watching and feel free to comment!

Outstanding review and set of pictures, Bernd, as usual. This is also one of my all time favorite sets. I also have two of them, one built as the car and one as the alternate F-1 racer. It is unusual for the alternate model to be so good as well. When I get to 1994 in Technicopedia, it is going to take me forever to document this thing. Luckily, I already have an MLCAD model of the whole thing. I bet there will be 1000 frames of animation!

Anyone who votes anything other than "outstanding" in the poll is probably not qualified to participate in this forum.

Errr...sorry. I can't believe it took me over a day to post in this topic. :blush: I love this set... but I still haven't got one. :cry_sad: I tried to buy one on eBay a few months back but it just went too high. I also am a bit concerned that if I buy one on BrickLink it might be damaged or even lost. But I may just have to take that risk soon. My other option is to build something very similar from parts, and I close to being able to do that at the moment. (I need more springs and universal joints.)

Back to the set, this is LEGOs finest hour and by a wide margin my favourite set. This is the pinnacle of system Technic, and it probably will never be matched. I still do hope that TLG will bring out a re-design using lift arms, but I suspect that the Ferrari license prevents them. The only feature this car is missing is a reverse gear, and I prefer the 4 wheel steering over that.

Thanks for the great review.... and er... I voted "outstanding".

Wow, great review! I have to say i've always loved this set! I too can remember drewling over it when i was a kid! Back when lego catologs had true action shots of the sets,and not just pics of them floating in mid air! :tongue: Great set. Maybe i'll luck out one day and i'll find one in the box in decent condition for cheap at a garage sale. I just can't fathom spending over 250 for a used one,and 500 for one still in the box! Crazy! But hey, i'm not quite sane myself..... :tongue:

Great review of this set. I got two copies some time in 2001 from ebay, one of which is built. It's certainly my favorite among the 6 or 7 super car sets and is by far the most mechanically complex one, unless you count the 4x4 Off Roader.

I made a few slight changes to mine, making the rear steering turn as far as the front one (not entirely realistic but it corners better that way and is easier to drive around the house :tongue: ) and removing the suspension "stoppers" that prevent the wheels from going all the way down (which just add a lot of friction to the axles). I may also try replacing the dark gray shocks with the looser black ones at some point. The suspension on this model somehow feels too stiff and jerky compared to the older 8865, which had very smooth suspension. Another interesting project would be to try motorizing this model. I remember seeing some attempts at this many years ago, but the old motors back then couldn't move the car. The PF XL motor and the black/red 9V one are much more powerful though.

Back to the set, this is LEGOs finest hour and by a wide margin my favourite set. This is the pinnacle of system Technic, and it probably will never be matched. I still do hope that TLG will bring out a re-design using lift arms, but I suspect that the Ferrari license prevents them. The only feature this car is missing is a reverse gear, and I prefer the 4 wheel steering over that.

Check this out. It's hard to make out a lot in the pictures but it looks like this may be the next true supercar, with a full set of mechanical functions unlike the Ferraris.

and thanks again!

@ simonwillems: under two hours...? :laugh: As a child it took me five to seven hours. Don't know how long it would take me now, but I'd say... three. If everythings presorted.

@ Blakbird: "Anyone who votes anything other than "outstanding" in the poll is probably not qualified to participate in this forum." :laugh:

@ Sinner: reverse gear would have been a nice addition, but you could only see it in the "engine-movement".

@ Tenorikuma: thanks!

@ 5150 Lego: "Back when lego catologs had true action shots of the sets" I loved those pics/dioramas...! Sets standing on a LEGO-built-robo-platform, or being held by a LEGO-built-robo-arm... :wub:

@ CP5670: "Another interesting project would be to try motorizing this model." I can remember I tried to do that several times, but my motor wasn't strong enough. I took out the V8-engine but still it didn't work. Before I tried to take out the gear box I decided on "giving up". Do you like the suspension of the 4x4 Off Roader better?

@ the next true supercar: looks really promising...!

@ CP5670: "Another interesting project would be to try motorizing this model." I can remember I tried to do that several times, but my motor wasn't strong enough. I took out the V8-engine but still it didn't work. Before I tried to take out the gear box I decided on "giving up". Do you like the suspension of the 4x4 Off Roader better?

That set actually has the opposite problem, with the suspension being too weak and not properly supporting the weight of the model, especially in the front. I added four additional shocks on mine and it works better now.

For motorizing it, I think you would need to find some way to bypass that chain, which doesn't transmit torque very well. The chain goes around the steering axle though, so it could be a little tricky to put a geartrain through there.

hm i believe the problem is that the original aim of the gear box was meant to turn the engine faster or slower.

our aim is to drive the car faster or slower.

Otherwise I would just take two motors and attach one to the front and one to the back differential.

hm i believe the problem is that the original aim of the gear box was meant to turn the engine faster or slower.

our aim is to drive the car faster or slower.

Otherwise I would just take two motors and attach one to the front and one to the back differential.

I think you are right. The car was designed to be pushed and to have the wheels driving the engine, not vice versa. So I suppose that if you really wanted to motorize it, you'd put a motor at one or more of the wheels. The wheel speed would stay constant, but as you went through the gears the motor would change speed. The car would not actually drive, you would have to lift the wheels off the ground like the motor option on the 8448.

If you were really designing a motorized LEGO car, you would optimize the gear system for the speed and power of the motor. Once you use a gearbox, you are guaranteed to have the motor either over or under driven bin some gears. 8448 got around this by lifting the wheels off the ground when motorized to remove most of the load from the motor. That way you can watch the wheels change speed but there is not much resistance. They really go fast in 5th gear!!

I once saw pictures of two 8880 sets, one of which was built in red and the other in yellow. Here's a yellow one.

maybe these new PF motors will work better.

yesterday I tried to add two standart motors but didn't find any space to integrate them.

My first try: 2 motors connected with a differential - to the axle which conects engine and gear box - instead of the seats

and the second one: 2 motors: one to the front and one to the back differential. but a vertical technic brick blocked my quick attempt.

(I tried to change the 2x3Brick and the 1x1Technic Brick which holds the 6L axle so that a I can drive the differential from the very front - there's enough space.)

EDIT: spelling, of course.

Edited by BerndDasBrot

I owned this set, and my mother sold it along with all my other favorites... it s the BEST technic set EVER !

A good review and an outstanding set of course!

Nice to see it back here.

I wouldn't say it is the best TECHNIC set ever, because there are a few others I like too much as well (8455, 8421, 8479, 8480,...). But definitely one of the best ones and they aren't really comparable.

Realy good review!

This has been one of my favorites from the year the set came out.

But when it was on the shelfs here where I live, I did not have enough money, and finaly when I got enoug money it was gone :(

A few years later I found a used set on Bricklink and was qiuck to order it. The box had lots of wear marks, but I am one of those who trow away the boxes.

I noticed the fact that Captain Green Hair has also placed a comment on this set: we talked about this car (remember Mr. Hair?) and you said that you could build this entire machine in a time of under two hours.... Now there's some bragging that needs serious evidence one day...! :devil::grin:

With everything presorted i still say it is totally doable! :grin:

I built it in something like 3-4 hours when I was 11,and I was not trying to build it fast, so I think with someone more experimented it's doable.

Captain green hair, we're waiting for the video :classic:

I think it's certainly doable, but with Technic models you really want to take your time and keep checking that everything is positioned/moving properly (especially things that go on axles). The mechanical functions will work more smoothly and reliably in the end that way. I rebuilt this model some time last summer and I think it took me 6-7 hours, since I made sure everything was positioned perfectly and measured the placements carefully after each step.

Another interesting tidbit: Lego S@H briefly sold the Super Car at one point in 2002 at the original $140 price, although in very limited quantities. I remember a Lego employee posting on Lugnet that they found a small stash of them in one of their warehouses that had somehow missed their inventory database. They were offering them with a limit of 2 per customer, but there were only 20-odd sets in total. Needless to say, they sold out in a few hours. :tongue: I was tempted to get one myself, but I had already gotten two MISB ones off ebay by that point.

[edit] In fact, here is the thread on it. I see one of my own old posts in there. :tongue:

Edited by CP5670

[...] 6-7 hours, since I made sure everything was positioned perfectly and measured the placements carefully after each step.

yep. I like to do that too. sometimes I even check that all slots are facing in the same direction... :classic:

Another interesting tidbit: Lego S@H briefly sold the Super Car at one point in 2002 at the original $140 price, although in very limited quantities. I remember a Lego employee posting on Lugnet that they found a small stash of them in one of their warehouses that had somehow missed their inventory database. They were offering them with a limit of 2 per customer, but there were only 20-odd sets in total. Needless to say, they sold out in a few hours. :tongue: I was tempted to get one myself, but I had already gotten two MISB ones off ebay by that point.

[edit] In fact, here is the thread on it. I see one of my own old posts in there. :tongue:

now THIS is really cool...!

sometimes I even check that all slots are facing in the same direction...

Ah ah ! I do it sometimes too ! ^^ maybe we're maniac!