The 8880 super car.  

96 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

• Outstanding!
    • Above average.
    • Average.
    • Below average.
    • Poor.

All in all, it's a good set with great features and great playability.

But there's one thing, that is really annoying me: the design of the suspension.

As instruction page #25 shows, the springs are mounted using part 6553 "Technic Pole Reverser Handle".

The 6-length axles are not supported directly, therefore it's hard for them to cover forces that are vectored to the sky.

Instead, the pole reverser handles have to take all the load, and are forced in lateral direction (lever action).

It works, but I always have a bad feeling when the suspension is working...

In this particular case, imho the suspension of 8865 is designed in a better way: the springs are mounted using axles, which are kept by bricks in a solid way.

But as a disadvantage, 8865 looks somewhat strange, because both front and rear axle are much wider than the bodywork.

8880 offers a better shape that looks much better.

8880 is my favorite supercar (or any car) released by Lego. 8865 however had the best feeling suspention and both 8880 and 8865 had proper ackerman steering geometry.

I have a 8865 and loved it as a child, now I am back from the dark ages 8880 is on my list of gets, just need to find one in good nick for normal money, may be a long wait. Thanks for the review I know I am a bit late to this thread but the pics really show off what this had to offer.

Has anyone made a remake of this set with the newer Technic studless beams and body panels? I daresay that if it was motorized and well-built it could be on the same level as this venerable model.

Has anyone made a remake of this set with the newer Technic studless beams and body panels?

Yes, Jeeves Lego made one and posted it on MOCpages. :classic:

1306097353m_SPLASH.jpg1306097377m_SPLASH.jpg1306097393m_SPLASH.jpg1306097311m_SPLASH.jpg

Edited by DLuders

[bUMP]

Burgi687 posted this

of Catia v5 (3D CAD design software) animations of the Lego Technic 8880 Supercar. You can see cutaway views on how the headlights pop up, the 4-wheel-steering works, and the fake engine operating:

Erik Tine posted this

of his "Motorized Lego 8880 with remote control. [it is the] Original Lego 8880; removed only 7 of original pieces; added 1x M motor for steering":

Edited by DLuders

I remember ordering this set through the mail back in the mid 90's and it was fun to build, but after I finished it, I honestly hated it, it didn't resemble a car, but more of a tank-like vehicle, and the HOG steering was rough... I am so glad that Lego and the way that they design models now has evolved...

I did like the B-model better....

I remember ordering this set through the mail back in the mid 90's and it was fun to build, but after I finished it, I honestly hated it, it didn't resemble a car, but more of a tank-like vehicle, and the HOG steering was rough... I am so glad that Lego and the way that they design models now has evolved...

if anyone is "offending" the alpha and the omega of all supercars (8880) than i must play the defence lawyer ;-): **

It resembles a car very well...actually it has y very powerful design - like an american muscle car...

but of course: different people different tastes

But one remark i can not second: The HOG of 8880 is in no way rough, in contrary: IMHO steering via HOG is very smooth - at least with my model...

I did like the B-model better....

not better, but one of the best b-models ever, right...

P.S.

**First part of my reply isn't meant to be serious... ;-)

Hello all!

I have this set, it's wonderful.

I need to buy some pieces but I don't the reference id. In the manual, there is no this information. Any help? For instance, I need new tires but I don't know the code.

Evidently I have this set for a lot of years. The white pieces are instead of white,something like beige. Can I fix that washing the pieces?

BTW, how should I wash or clean the pieces?

Thanks a lot.

Very nice car, i bought 2 of them for 150 euro

and it was in almost new condition but the boxes were 2 different

so 1 was nice colorful , but the other was a bit like black and white but anyway best set ever!!!!

as much as I appreciate that this set was ahead of its time, I don't get why this is more popular then the 8448. I think the 8448 looks much better. awd and 4ws are nice and all, but highly overrated when comparing the two sets.

- like an american muscle car...

As a fan and owner of an american muscle car, I have to say that you are way off base. This does not come close to looking like an american muscle car.