Sign in to follow this  
metalandi

REVIEW: 6584 Extreme Team Challenge

It took a long time, but now here it is, the Review of the X-Treme Team Set 6584 Extreme Team Challenge. TheBrickster asked me a few weeks ago to do this, since he unfortunately never owned this great set, so here we go! First i have to say, that i really love this late 90's Town Theme, and i wish there would have been produced more sets. This is the only one i own, well, beside that i also still have 6572 Wind Runners, but the car is missing. :sceptic: Anyway, let's face the facts and let the pictures speak for themselves!

Sub-Theme: X-Treme Team

Set Nr.: 6584

Name: Extreme Team Challenge

Number of minifigs: 4

Number of pieces: 354

Release Year: 1998

Let's start off with a few quick shots of the box & instructions:

dsc00213ni2.jpg

Inside of the box:

dsc00217ft7.jpg

We got some ideas for alternative models on the backside (the same ones are also on the backside of the instructions):

dsc00216cw9.jpg

Instructions:

dsc00214yg4.jpg

dsc00215iw1.jpg

Here's an overall view of this huge set:

dsc00196nz3.jpg

We get 4 minifigs, each with different heads and color patterns, which i really like:

dsc00211lu5.jpg

...and also a good amount of equipment for them:

dsc00212dv5.jpg

Let's move on with the cool vehicles, there are 3 (!) completely different ones in this set, first is the neat little trike:

dsc00197jg6.jpg

Next, the not less neat "4-wheeled off-road-thing" (don't know what's it called really :tongue: ):

dsc00198pr7.jpg

And finally the huge Monster truck, i love the chrome sidepipes and the wench with the hook in the back, which adds a lot of playability:

dsc00199va4.jpg

Oh, i almost forgot our brave adventurers also have got a raft to ride the wild mountain waters:

dsc00200ct0.jpg

Now let's focus on the many details of the mountain base. We got a bridge over troubled waters, but be aware, it's very unstable! Love the wood patterns on the yellow 1x6 tiles:

dsc00201gf4.jpg

dsc00202nb7.jpg

On a corner a camera is mounted to document the wild life:

dsc00203em0.jpg

For the evenings we also got a little campfire:

dsc00204he8rh3.jpg

Down by the river sits a grey falcon and watches the guys on their challenges:

dsc00205do7.jpg

What's that? Seems not very safe, to be honest..be aware when you pass by these rocks....

dsc00206pz7.jpg

....cause it will collapse!

dsc00207yj3.jpg

Let's move up again where the tent is placed, inside is plenty of space to take a rest for the figs and to store their equipment:

dsc00208sy7.jpg

But i think they should have built the tent on another place cause the ground isn't very good there:

dsc00209ga6.jpg

When you pull the mechanism, a trap door opens:

dsc00210ej8.jpg

Will the guys all come back home safe and not injured? You decide! :tongue: All in all this is a really great set, ome may say it is a bit <insert that tiresome argument> because of the baseplate, but it really isn't. It's got a LOT of playability and some rare parts, the biggest beeing the baseplate which is only available in this set. I hope you liked my review, let me know your opinions! :classic:

Edited by metalandi

I remember getting this for christmas, and despite the earthy grey parts I relly enjoyed it, and it is nice to see pictures of it again- Thanks.

Excellent review Metalandi! I really think this looks like a fun set. I esp. love the mountain, bridge, and baseplate. It has adventure fun written all over it.

Thanks for taking the time to review this set. I've always seen it in pictures, but never close-up. :thumbup:

Metalandi, thanks for doing up this review! This is a chance for me to gain some insight for Extreme Team theme. This is a very interesting set that can be used for so many purposes. 3 different vehicles, wide range of accessories and nice minifigs. What I love the most, is the mountain, bridge and tent. It provided so much playability. I am very impressed with it. Thanks for sharing. :sweet:

Thank you for that very interesting review, metalandi. A cool set with a lot of features and some nifty vehicles,

very playable and well designed indeed. Perhaps a bit too colorful for my likings, but pretty impressive in its

conception for sure. I wish we could see some more landscaping coming along with todays vehicle sets as well...