the enigma that is badger

New 2009 Pirates Sets - NEW closeups of the wench & mermaid added

The door and bars on the stockade seem to have a new texture to them also. Unless this was brought over from a castle set I am unaware of. Is the red used on the soldiers a darker red then the old Imperial Guards?

Tony

The bars appear to be standard, and the cell door is from city. The red would appear to be normal, also.

The disappointment is against the lack of inspiration in the new set, could you see anything that is amazing or new (beside from the parts) about them? I guess not, as I wrote the problem is not that they are too different from the old pirate line up but the opposite, they are too similar…it’s like the time have stand still.
I think the new sets are great and will integrate extremely well into my existing collection as well as appeal to first time buyers. They're a continuation (look at the set numbers) instead of a full remake and I LOVE that.

Is it ok to put pics in your sig and avatar? I hope so. It took me 20 minutes to do that! :pir-sceptic:

Please don't put pics in your sig and avatar (per Hinckley).

Hopefully it won't take you as long next time. :pir-blush:

Oh and I am Cucumber.

It's a common misconception to confuse Cucumbers for Pickles.

Since we aren't aloud to post the pictures, I'm not sure if we can talk about what we've seen in the pictures, so I'll try to be as modest as possible. :pir-tongue:

I can't believe they went in that direction! That is the most perfect way I could have ever dreamed of. Even the set design is far from what I imagined! This just blows me away. :pir-cry_happy:

I have to say I'm quite happy with the new Pirates sets. They are designed in a very old-school way, while featuring some minor improvements like some new, useful molds and pieces in new colors. A good chance to catch up for those who missed out on the old Pirates sets. :thumbup:

And I don't know if anyone noticed, but there is also a Pirate themed brick box with a neat little Pirate fig, some coins, and a brick-built parrot. :pir-classic: Nothing special, just a nice chance to get those things together with some colorful bricks. :pir-tongue:

I'm sure these will sell well and I hope there will be more new Pirates! :pir-devil:

Raise the :jollyroger: !

The Pirate ship comes with 3 cannons if I'm not mistaken... It has room for five, but I wouldn't expect such generosity from Lego these days. :pir-classic:

The stern cannon doesn't quite fit there - perhaps if it were smaller than the standard and well-known piece, it would look better, but as it is it looks too heavy. But still it's better to have 3 cannons than 2. :pir-classic:

I have to say I'm quite happy with the new Pirates sets. They are designed in a very old-school way, while featuring some minor improvements like some new, useful molds and pieces in new colors. A good chance to catch up for those who missed out on the old Pirates sets. :thumbup:

And I don't know if anyone noticed, but there is also a Pirate themed brick box with a neat little Pirate fig, some coins, and a brick-built parrot. :pir-classic: Nothing special, just a nice chance to get those things together with some colorful bricks. :pir-tongue:

I'm sure these will sell well and I hope there will be more new Pirates! :pir-devil:

Raise the :jollyroger: !

Is there a pic?

Link.

I don't know about you, but I'm getting at least 3 of these if they're at a good price.

That minifig is just amazing!

Bluebeard, out-

If only that was an imperial fig with a musket and shako I would buy a dozen of them.

The pictures are definitely on an early stage so hopefully we can se some further development on these sets. Maybe the kraken will actually look like a sea monster in the end.

Most of you have already notified that the pictures are in an “early stage” (much photoshoping etc.) but for all you others I can give you some hints on how to see this (you only get two for now):

1. The maidens in the ship are smiling, although she is about to fall of the ship. I guess that this is not the face that will be in the final photo (or maybe the whole picture will be rearranged)

2. Look at the cow on the picture of “the new, farmer theme”. You can actually see that the black marks/pattern on the skin is painted, perhaps with a brush or pencil.

Over and out

ON TOPIC: I hop they make another Pirate Ship In the near future :pir-cry_happy:

Meh...I'd rather see a new Redcoat ship. That'd be infinitely more awesome.

Bluebeard, out-

Link.

I don't know about you, but I'm getting at least 3 of these if they're at a good price.

That minifig is just amazing!

Bluebeard, out-

Thanks for providing that link. I was unsure if I should have done it in my original post since the posting of the image itself is prohibited. :pir-sceptic: So, links are OK then?

Anyhoo, I would only get one if it is below ten bucks, but I doubt that. Cause I'm only interested in the fig too (and maybe the parrot :pir-tongue: ). It really is a great fig and it's interesting how it's exclusive to this set. :pir-look: They don't use neither the torso or the head in the "real" Pirates sets.

On a side note: In the fort set, I love how they remodeled the scene from Pirates of the Carribean with the dog and the prisoners who are trying to free themselves using a bone to feature a monkey and a banana instead! :pir-laugh:

Thanks for providing that link. I was unsure if I should have done it in my original post since the posting of the image itself is prohibited. :pir-sceptic: So, links are OK then?

Anyhoo, I would only get one if it is below ten bucks, but I doubt that. Cause I'm only interested in the fig too (and maybe the parrot :pir-tongue: ). It really is a great fig and it's interesting how it's exclusive to this set. :pir-look: They don't use neither the torso or the head in the "real" Pirates sets.

Yea i like that new minifig :pir-cry_happy:

Bluebeard, out-

Hmm... I swear I've seen your avatar somewhere - on one of my cousins fave TV programmes :pir-tongue:

Anyway, I seems there are some decent coloured pieces in the building set.

For one thing, the pirate minifig is awesome! I'm not sure, but I think he's the only Pirate with an eye patch. :pir-wub:

The hat the pirate is wearing is only available in sets the price of the Fortress and above as well.

I may use some of the nice blue pieces to make any blue plates look as if there are waves in the sea.

I could also use spare white pieces to MOD the fort and spare brown pieces to MOD the massive ship! :pir-wub:

I wonder why there's no Shipwreck Hideout yet? Maybe it comes out in March or May? :pir-look:

Yea i like that new minifig :pir-cry_happy:

It ;looks pretty good. Have to say I noticed quite a few more things I like. Lots of new elements too, like the two tone parrot, spyglass, dynamite, red octopus, gold hook, new shako, ship hull, what looks to be metallic cannons, new flame/plume piece, new fish piece etc. Loving it all, as well as the amount of foliage and bit useful for other mocs, cannot wait to buy them and set them up!

Batbrick Away!

They're a continuation (look at the set numbers) instead of a full remake and I LOVE that.

That´s an interesting observation, Wes. And although there´re maybe just practical reasons for TLC to use these numbers from the

classic times it almost looks like they´re trying to speak to us: Look! It´s a resumption! That´s what we wanted to do... :pir-tongue:

And I don't know if anyone noticed, but there is also a Pirate themed brick box with a neat little Pirate fig, some coins, and a brick-built parrot. :pir-classic:
Is there a pic?
Thanks for providing that link.

Uuum... well, usually I wouldn´t care, but that´s just a little too much... and makes me feel so wholeheartedly ignored... :pir-laugh: :

There´re some new general LEGO pics in that cool folder, and I really have to say that this looks like a pretty sexy Pirate MF to me... um. :pir-blush::pir-wub:

Although the ship in that set looks a little more mediocre to me... :pir-grin:

Sooo... Wake up, sleepyheads!! :pir-sing:

sleepy_heads.jpg

I wonder if anyone´s going to notice it that time... :pir-look:

Even though i have most pirate ships and i love the look of brickbeards ship........i might have to skip the new pirate range in favour of the new city sets but i will try my darnest even if it means i have to build another shed and get a second job.

2009 will be a great year for lego.

I really Hope that the new pirate line is a success and that down the road we see the return of the "Blue Coat" Imperials...I would love to see an army builder set with 2 blue coats and 2 Red coats plus a cannon (Kinda of like the Stormtrooper Army Builder pack)

If only that was an imperial fig with a musket and shako I would buy a dozen of them.

Don’t you think there’ll probably be an impulse set like that coming out after all impulse has sold well, and TLC know about the desire for army building.

I just don't get AFOLs sometimes. With all the complaints about the modern incarnations of town, castle, and space, it seemed that only a classic approach to the old themes would satisfy them. And now here we are, with a new Pirate theme that is strikingly similar to the old one - and people still are complaining like crazy! TLC took special care to make a theme that stayed close to its roots, and basically all many of the older fans of Lego can say is that it's inferior and uninnovative.

Seriously, I'm begining to think that the only thing that would please some of the members here would for TLC to stop producing any original sets, and only re-release old sets. I dunno why this is, but maybe it stems from nostalga and a feeling of loyalty to the old lego sets (again though, I'm not sure). Regardless, this constant complaining and negativity is really sad, because TLC has jumped back from the Dark Ages, whether you guys can see it or not. TLC is finally trying to please both adults and kids by bringing back their classic themes, instead of focusing on seemingly easy money-makers and pointless licsensed themes (which were the products of the Dark Ages). Can't you guys be greatful that TLC is no longer churning out stuff like that? :pir-sceptic:

Please guys, focus on the positives: Pirates is back, it's not 4-Jr or Duplo, and it looks a lot like the classic lego pirates. We all need to support TLC in doing this, instead of longing for Legends and the old days of doing things. TLC may be different today, but it's getting better every year, and will only continue to improve. That's a sign of rejoicing to me, and IMO it should be for the rest of you. :pir-blush: