the enigma that is badger

New 2009 Pirates Sets - NEW closeups of the wench & mermaid added

Ooh from looking at the new images it seems that the governor/officer has a blue jacket in the imperial outpost set, something which i didnt notice on the smaller image. I'd say this hints that these soldiers are increasingly based on the British. Although i could be wrong.

*Notices Fordo has already pointed out the blue officer, but thinks he'll add his two copper anyway...*

Edited by Duck

These pictures are much bigger and clearer. BTW, they are having a LEGO event at the LEGO imagination center in Orlando, where I live, and the LMMB, (Lego Master Model Builder), is going to build a giant 8 ft. tall Pirate minifigure! I even got an invite! :D

These pictures are much bigger and clearer. BTW, they are having a LEGO event at the LEGO imagination center in Orlando, where I live, and the LMMB, (Lego Master Model Builder), is going to build a giant 8 ft. tall Pirate minifigure! I even got an invite! :D

Oooh, when is that? I have not gotten my invite yet.

As for the Pirate sets, I am very enthusiastic about the return of a classic theme, and love the sets, but I don't know if my wallet can support another theme. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

I'd say these look like the final product...

Perhaps they will be available sonner then we all thought? :pir-look:

Thanks for sharing! :thumbup:

Sooner than you think for us here in the States. :pir-cry_happy:

I'm really looking forward to these new sets, regardless of a number of improvements they could be helped from.

Where have these pics been coming from? Both the old and the now new boxed pictures of Treasure Island show the same large baseplate, although the small unboxed picture of Treasure Island from a little under a week ago seems to have a somewhat different baseplate. I'm a bit confused about the final product as the initial box pics in August (prelim), unboxed pics from a week ago, and now new box pics seem to have differences.

Anyways, they all look good enough to get and add to my small older pirates collection. Can't Wait!!!

Wow, the Imperial Outpost looks just looks better and better. :wub: While the wanted poster is rather cheesy, I really love that admiral. I was hoping that he had a dark green torso though, so that I could build a Russian army. There appears to be a larger fort in the background too, perhaps a sign of things to come? :pir-sweet:

I also think the the groove on the butt of the rifle is different.

I don't get why they made it like it is now. The ones before with a small groove worked just fine!

The muskets have been like that for a while actually, from about 2004 onwards.

When I have learned, that pirates will revive, have been very surprised and hoped that really pirates will in 2009 and joyfully waited for the first photos of sets. After that, they have appeared. Then this news about pirates has liked me even more, but I any more did not wait for other images, and was going to wait only for 2009. And now - having seen final variants of sets (by the way, it is necessary to tell, that between prototypes and final sets there is an essential difference!) I simply already save money for all sets pirates 2009. LEGO again have not missed - and again excellent ideas and new execution, I believe founders of sets of 2009 of a series "Pirates" have visited inspiration. That - it is simply remarkable, smartly!!! It is necessary to wait for 2009 only. :cannon:

That new four-wide panel piece used in the fort looks interesting. Not having cut-outs like the castle wall panels does mean it won't link into a wall section so well. However, I do often find the ledge on castle wall panels an irritation, so it will be nice to have an alternative.

Edit - also, five wide can be awkward - it will be good to have a four-wide option too.

Edited by brickzone

By the looks of things, that's just another one of LEGO's shortcuts that they have been taking over the last few years. :pir_bawling: I just guess we'll have to wait until we can buy the sets to know what they're like fully.

It's now decided, even If I mustn't eat during the next 3 months , I'll buy the entire collection when it'll be released, they looks very very good, I really need these sets!

It's now decided, even If I mustn't eat during the next 3 months , I'll buy the entire collection when it'll be released, they looks very very good, I really need these sets!

Dear Guss,

Yep next year is going to be another lego bankrupty....

I just really love the new dark blue officer torso.... :pir_laugh2:

Kind regards,

Teddy

Edited by Teddy

Nice shiny new pics. It's great to see these sets in more detail. All of the sets are really good, I have to admit. I'll probably only get the smaller sets, but I still love the larger ones, the outpost and the ship. The minifigs are fantastic. All the torsos appear to be new (might be mistaken though), and all the chosen heads fit quite nicely. Those 'ragged trousers' legs on the castaway are really something as well. I think I shall end up buying more of these sets than I planned...

:pir_bawling: I want all of these sets :pir_bawling: Lego, why do you listen to all of our demands at once?

My wallet Aches. Not to complain however, I'll definately pick up the Outpost, Ship and hopefully a few Imperial Guard Impulses.

2009 ON! :pir-sweet:

EDIT: Has anyone else noticed that on the pic of the outpost the Imperials are shooting their own treasure? :pir-laugh:

Edited by Razzer

These Pirate sets look great, but they seem to be a bit "childish". It seems as if lego has become more targeted towards chiledren with their "happy skull and crossbones" sails, weird mini pirate 2x2 flags, and the "childish" skull on the island set. But aside from this aspect I am very excited for these sets; but im pretty sure my wallet isn't! -pat

Edited by xpatriot720x

These Pirate sets look great, but they seem to be a bit "childish". It seems as if lego has become more targeted towards chiledren with their "happy skull and crossbones" sails, weird mini pirate 2x2 flags, and the "childish" skull on the island set. But aside from this aspect I am very excited for these sets; but im pretty sure my wallet isn't! -pat

Um, dude, lego has always been targeted towards children - and pirate ships have had skulls on their sails since the Skull's Eye Schooner from 1993. In all honestly, the new pirate theme is extremely close to the old pirate theme in both design and style. This is about as good a revival as we could ever have for a theme. :pir-wink:

These new Pirates sets look really cool! I'm definitely getting some of these. :pir-wub: Here are my overall thoughts on these (prelim?) pics:

8396 (Imperial Soldier): Of course, a pirate version of the Castle impulse "Knight". A sword, pistol, and musket make up the soldier's weapons, and a backpack, epaulet (shoulder wear), and tall hat (not sure on official name) for his equipment. the blue 1x4s, tan 1x1s, and bley jumper pieces just further sweeten the deal. A truly awesome impulse. :thumbup:

Estimated price: $5.00

6239 (Cannon Battle): The soldier, pirate and accessorie are great, especially that new spyglass piece. :pir-wub: The cannon is cool, but I'll just take apart the wall for pieces and foliage. :thumbup:

Estimated price: $10.00

6240 (Octopus Attack): The raft, crow's nest, pirates, accessories, jewels, and multi-colored parrot all make this set desirable. But what I like most is the dark red octopus, which I don't believe has ever been done in that color. :thumbup:

Estimated price: $10.00

6241 (Island Attack): The boat, figs, rare foliage, and jewels are all cool, but the island itself is a huge BURP. I might get it, depending on the price. :thumbup::thumbdown:

Estimated price: $10.00-$20.00

6242 (Port Siege): Great figs, buildings, jewels, and a working lift to boot, plus an alligator (which I already have a lot of, probably double that by the end of this year. I like this one the best, although I wonder why there are no blue coats? But the monkey is really cool. :thumbup:

Estimated price: $30.00-$40.00

6243 (Blackbeard's Ship): Wonderful figs, a cool net, rowboat, and sails are only some of the very many awesome features that I'm sure this set has. The shark, monkey, and multi-colored parrot are equally cool. My favorite part of this one is the female figs, namely the mermaid on the hull, which TLG could have easily left out, but they most generously didn't. :pir-wub::thumbup:

Price Estimate: $50.00-$60.00

So basically, these are all wonderful sets, and I will try to get them all (except perhaps the Island Attack). 2009 is looking amazing. :pir-sweet:

The muskets have been like that for a while actually, from about 2004 onwards.

I know, even though I don't have any of the newer ones...

SE8396-1-00-N_2.jpg

2561.jpg

Looks like the pirates one has a deeper impression than the bottom one. Might just be the angle, though :pir-grin:

In all honestly, the new pirate theme is extremely close to the old pirate theme in both design and style. This is about as good a revival as we could ever have for a theme. :pir-wink:

I completely agree! Great revival, true to the original theme! :jollyroger: