the enigma that is badger

New 2009 Pirates Sets - NEW closeups of the wench & mermaid added

I found these on Flickr. They seem to be pictures of the 2009 pirate sets.

Anyway, are these pictures new because I certainly haven't seen all of them before. Thanks

pat :pir-cry_happy:

link to pictures:Here

Edited by xpatriot720x

...there must be someone (Lego representative, Copmike,...) that can provide the information about the island piece.

Please let it be just a baseplate with bricks! I would really hate it if it was just one piece, and I can't tell it with that picture, it certainly looks as one big piece :pir-hmpf_bad:

I was not old enough to ever really get into Pirates, but I am not a big fan of these. They seem a bit too kiddy and are not nearly as grand as the old sets. Not nearly as nice as the Castle Revival.

Does anyone know if the cannon in these new sets are going to be the projectile firing kind? Some of the pictures seem to imply this.

Would it be like before where the firing cannon are available in countries with sane legal systems and disabled/non firing cannon are available in the US (and other countries with screwed up legal systems)?

This thread should be merged or removed by a mod. There is another thread about this subject, so this shouldn't be here. Don't feel bad, xpatriot720x.

Hmm, it seems like the pirate ship will have the skull and crossbones sails after all...

Aside from that, the sets all look great! I really love the soldier's fort, it looks very old school, especially from this angle. The shipwreck set is very nice too, I love the ragged look of it, and it's great to get a tan rope bridge (as well as a new pirate hottie. :pir-wub:).

I guess I can wait a few months!

Apparently the Pirates sets are coming out in May... :pir-sceptic:

...there must be someone (Lego representative, Copmike,...) that can provide the information about the island piece.

Fraid it doesn't work like that. We can't ask specific questions when it suits us, we've got to wait until they're ready to share information.

Please let it be just a baseplate with bricks! I would really hate it if it was just one piece, and I can't tell it with that picture, it certainly looks as one big piece :pir-hmpf_bad:

But I agree... That base plate is looking WAAAAAAAAAAY too big for the size of that set. It seems like you'd be paying for more base plate than anything else and I'd rather be paying for a brickbuilt base.

In my opinion, the ship just keeps looking worse and worse. I was hoping that the picture of it without the skulls on the sails was further along in production than the one with the skulls, but apparently that's not the case. On the other hand, the fort looks great to me. I'll definitely buy it when it comes out.

EDIT: Just wanted to point out that the roof of the lean-to in the fort along with the shelves in the soldier impulse definitely look dark blue now. It's awesome.

Edited by NerdFighter

Personally, I am not liking how these sets are turning out. The only set that catches my eye, beside the impulse sets, is the Imperial outpost.

Personally, I am not liking how these sets are turning out. The only set that catches my eye, beside the impulse sets, is the Imperial outpost.

For me, the Imperial outpost is the best and I will buy it!

But the other sets lok very good as well.

I can't wait!

I do't know what's with everybody's opinion that the ship is looking bad. I think this will be the third best pirate ship ever, only beaten by the BSB and the SES. For me it looks really good and i like the color scheme.

It's the cartoony skull and crossbones on the sail that's worst. Personally I'm still hoping that the German retailer used prelim photos and the real version will have a plain sail.

There are other faults, but I don't think people would judge it so harshly but for the sail. The ship is really one segment too short (indeed more really to be ship-like, but even as a Lego model it could do with one more).

My pet peeve about it is the use of a chain to hold up the front sail. Why not the stud-ended string piece instead? It would acheive the same simplicity and not look so ridiculous.

Anyway, I can't wait to get the ship. If the hull is just red-brown, I can easily stick in an extra segment or two from my Viking ship.

we can hope that Lego will release some new ships soon... make a new pirate line with only one ship is quite strange I think !

and for the printed sails, look at the pics in the first post , it doesn't have printed sails! and anyway, if you don't like it, you can make custom sails, that's not really hard to do ^^

As long as those sails and flags aren't made of the cheap thin plastic (think flags from KK2)...

Especially with the economic downturn, I'd have to do some serious rethinking about it if those weren't canvas sails. I'm partially ok with the flags not being the old thick plastic flags, but the ship better have decent sails.

If all goes well, I'd be buying the ship and the imperial and pirate fortresses next year, as well as the impulse sets. I definitely wouldn't mind them coming out later in the year though, as then it won't contend with my buying the new castle set and the town construction and farm sets.

I just hope they don't come out with more good sets during the latter half of '09, or I'll be broke all through 2009. I've already expended most of my '08 budget with the reintroduction of the AT-AT and the Sandcrawler...

I just hope they don't come out with more good sets during the latter half of '09, or I'll be broke all through 2009. I've already expended most of my '08 budget with the reintroduction of the AT-AT and the Sandcrawler...

WHAT? You wasted money on non-pirate related LEGO? Hang your head in shame! :pir_laugh2:

WHAT? You wasted money on non-pirate related LEGO? Hang your head in shame! :pir_laugh2:

Hey, I gotta get my Lego fix somehow. I can't help it if the only pirate ship Lego has released in the past year is the skeleton one, and they took it away the moment I tried to order it from S@H. I've got my fingers crossed that they'll bring it back...

Heh heh, I'd completely ditch the town line with their sticky decals in a heartbeat if only there were more ships announced for next year...

Personally, many of the sets look to me like their going to be another case of "Not enough in the set for the price that will be charged for them".

Ones which do catch my eye, which i will probably sink to temptation and buy include the imperial outpost, and probably the mini-sets which include just one figure. (Could be a quick way to build up an army eh? Assuming its not £5 a box...)

Abit unsure about the ship myself. Will need to see more detailed images of it first to see exactly what you get. Plus the debate about whether theres a big ugly skull and crossbones on the sail is a big one!

Agree with Guss though about it being abit odd to only have one ship in the whole pirate theme. By the looks of it, these pirates are going to be spending an awful lot of time on and around land!

Hopefully its just a marketting strategy by Lego, to make people rush out and buy this ship, rather than splitting the market by launching several ships at once.

Edited by Duck

Personally, many of the sets look to me like their going to be another case of "Not enough in the set for the price that will be charged for them".

Yeah but that's to be expected for LEGO these days. It really just depends on how dedicated to the hobby you are and how much your wallet will allow.

Well, I disagree about the prices. Considering inflation (it's been up near 5% a few times here in Ireland in recent years) you get more for your money than ever with Lego. The prices we saw for these Pirates sets looked perfectly normal, even €90 for the ship. Back when we had Pirates in the 1980s they were almost unattainable prices, certainly here in Ireland at least. Those where the days when we had £1 notes, and anything much beyond the £10-£15 range was a major purchase. The BSB was something like £100 RRP in UK (and we had higher markups and Irish £ here in Ireland). In 2002 (or 1999 really) we swapped £1 for €1.27. Yet a size of set that cost IR£20 in the 1980s is usually about €20-€30, even almost 20 years later.

Today you are lucky to get a decent lunch with a beverage for €10 (roughly the minimum wage per hour here). New pirate ship for 9 lunches (or 9 hours work) seems like rather good value to me!

Edited by brickzone

Sets have gone right on glory, it is necessary to buy all. The truth here, not such wide range as earlier, but personally - was pleasant to me! :cannon::jollyroger: