the enigma that is badger

New 2009 Pirates Sets - NEW closeups of the wench & mermaid added

Hello everybody and thank you very much to everyone who posted infromation, links and pics on the new Pirate theme! :pir-sweet:

It's really very late that I comment on the new Pirate line - but I don't want to pass to comment. So here you are:

First of all I must say:

A very big compliment to TLG - these new Pirate line is totally awesome! :thumbup:

I must say that I'm really surprised at that TLG will release this theme in a very classic style :pir-wub::thumbup: because I really feared (and bet for 100 %, too) that if there are new Pirate sets they surely will include a lot of ugly fantasy stuff (like in the new "Castle" theme) like giantic monster octopi, skeleton pirates, ... - but that didn't happen :pir-oh3: !

Now to the different sets:

6241:

This set could have been a bit extended since the trasure island is very small and it looks a bit childish because of this crazy baseplate. But nevertheless it's a well acceptable set with all which a treasure island should contain: treasure, cannons, little prison, a boat, pirates and soldiers. (I really like the old pirate with the big beard and the golden ear trumpet - or is it a periscope? :pir-laugh: ) :pir-sceptic:

6240:

This set looks very nice, too. The octopus looks like if the Pirates had thrown tomatoes on it :pir-laugh: - but ok. :pir-sceptic:

6239:

I don't know what this rocky "thing" should be. But nevertheless this set is a very good opportunity to collect canons. :thumbup:

8396:

The classic Impulse set: One minifig and a lot of accessory - great! :thumbup:

8397:

Again a great Impulse set. I mainly like the campfire with the fish on the stick! :pir-wub::pir-wub:

6242:

This fortress isn't as big as the classic one. But it's awesome nevertheless. There is everything which is needed for a soldier fortress: a harbor with landing stages, a big prison, a crane, a boat, a big tower, a treasure box and some minifigs. Plus there are a lot of very lovely accessories like the monkey, the banana, the rat and the crocodile. :pir-wub:

6243:

The classic Black Seas Barracuda in readesign. :pir-wub: It contains everything which shouldn't fail at a very good pirate ship: long-boat, crane, treasure box, a monkey, a lot of minifigs and a big cabin. Whereas the other sets are - I think - mainly developped and designed for JFOLs, this set has an extremely detailed design :thumbup: so it appears to all AFOL (Pirate fans), too. The most I like the deisgn in general, the cabin (I hope, it'll have some very nice interior :pir-wink: ) and the female pirate - simply awesome! :pir-wub: :pir-wub:

I must say that I'm flabbergasted! :pir-oh3:

Despite from the Pirate Impulse set (in order to get this fish on the stick :pir-wub: ) I won't buy a single Pirate set since I regrettably don't collect Pirates. But since I already collect City, Castle (from the new theme onls the Impulse sets and the advent calendar), Western (regrettably momentary no new sets :pir_bawling: ) and Star Wars that's enough (mainly for my wallet).

But for all who (can afford to) collect these Pirate sets I must say: You're really lucky men - this Pirate theme is much better than the last two themes! :pir-wink:

I wish and hope that TLG will go back to the rutes with the Castle them like they now did with the Pirate theme!

And BTW: I bet that these sets sell very, very well. If not, then there is something wrong with our world! And perhaps there'll be an Pirate advent calendar next year, too. And since these sets surely will sell very, very well and cine TLG seems to go back to the roots in the Pirate (and the City) theme :thumbup: , I can well imagine that there will then be some Islanders and/or a Soldier ship in 2010. :pir-wink:

Klaus-Dieter

Edited by Klaus-Dieter

Yeah. That is a great idea. But how would they fill 25 doors?

Humm...20 soldiers, 1 Admiral, 1 barmaid, 1 Pirate, 1 sailor, and 1 cannon = 25 days. Yup, sounds good to me. :pir-grin:

Tony

Humm...20 soldiers, 1 Admiral, 1 barmaid, 1 Pirate, 1 sailor, and 1 cannon = 25 days. Yup, sounds good to me. :pir-grin:

Tony

I wish. Try something like: 1 pirate captian, 1 tricorn hat pirate, 1 striped torso pirate, 1 trasure chest, some coins, a soldier, and some cheap pirate only (non-millitary) weapons and accessories. Lol. Although I would prefer yours.

Great! I was away for some time and now I return to see some great news on the Pirates line. So they will hit the market in April?

I'll buy the Fort and the Soldier impulse!!!! :pir-blush:

Great! I was away for some time and now I return to see some great news on the Pirates line. So they will hit the market in April?

I'll buy the Fort and the Soldier impulse!!!! :pir-blush:

Yes. The soldier outpost and fortress look pretty cool. I just hope they aren't overpriced in Australia!

Yes, I too am glad the the UGGGGLY skull and crossbones was removed. I *barfed* when I saw it! But 79.99 Euros for the ship... *megablocks*! Way too much, as is the 49.99 Euro Soldier Fort thing.

Yes, I too am glad the the UGGGGLY skull and crossbones was removed. I *barfed* when I saw it! But 79.99 Euros for the ship... *megablocks*! Way too much, as is the 49.99 Euro Soldier Fort thing.

It looks like they are trying too keep the brickquantity and difficultylevel down for the little kiddies, but I find that very inconsiderate towards us big kiddies who, after all, have a much larger budget !

The prices would be the only thing they looked at us for, because I doubt children will get much new pirate sets for their birthday if they keep these.

With these I also doubt the shako prices will lower much, unless we can buy them into the factory or from the part-buying list.

Even when they dont show up there, I already have made my email up to buy them in bulk anyway possible(I just bought 100 Impulse sets and I put my shakos aside into a small plastic scale and my dog thought they where dog biscuits and he ate them :pir-sick: ... I WANT A REFUND BECAUSE MY DOG DIED OF IT :pir_bawling: !!! YES, YOU MAY REFUND ME WITH SHAKOS :pir-sad2: ...)

All these sets are over priced. All in all, I think I'll buy about 100 of the impulses, then buy 2 of the tricorne officers and one of the bicorne officers.

After playing an old computer game called "American Conquest" I've been inspired to for real build an army. The tricorne officers would be drummers and flag carriers and the bicorne officers would be... officers. Then put them in a huge square formation with the officers and drummers in the middle.

Maybe I'll build two armies :pir-devil:

NEW WORLD CONQUEST ON!

2 armies of 100 plus soldiers? That would cost over $500AUD! Well I wish I was on your salary. The Brickish Navy pays me in peanuts! Dammit!

Edited by Captain Zuloo

Yes. The soldier outpost and fortress look pretty cool. I just hope they aren't overpriced in Australia!

Don't we all! I'm really hoping that fort isn't any more than $70 AUS (which would make it the same as the Dwarves mine...at least down in Tasmania) as I doubt I'd pay any more than that, not to mention how much more the ship would be. My wallet is threatening suicide if I plan to buy too much Pirate lego, but I want to make up for lost time! :pir_laugh2:

Don't we all! I'm really hoping that fort isn't any more than $70 AUS (which would make it the same as the Dwarves mine...at least down in Tasmania) as I doubt I'd pay any more than that, not to mention how much more the ship would be. My wallet is threatening suicide if I plan to buy too much Pirate lego, but I want to make up for lost time! :pir_laugh2:

Hey Big T,

My uncle stays in Tasmania, i think its Long - something. Cant really remember the name. :pir_laugh2:

Well if you're anticipating $70, then as things are all more expensive in Canberra, I don't look foward to seeing the price tag...

I would freak out to have that fort. Damnit, why can't TLG make it now? :pir_bawling:

We have been waiting years - I'm sure a few months won't kill us.

Hey Big T,

My uncle stays in Tasmania, i think its Long - something. Cant really remember the name. :pir_laugh2:

Longford? Might be it, that's not too far from where I am. Pretty cool to hear.

Well if you're anticipating $70, then as things are all more expensive in Canberra, I don't look foward to seeing the price tag...

Maybe I'm just being pessimistic, as on second though the Dwarves mine was 500+ pieces, and it doesn't look like the Fort has that many. It's just the prices mentioned earlier in this thread seemed to suggest it might cost around the $60-70 mark when you take into account adjusted prices and the mark-up that seems to occour here. But don't worry, Tassie would be similar to Canberra when it comes to mark-ups :imperialguard_commander1:

I really don't understand why some of you complain about the price of the ship and the fortress.

To the fortress:

Ok, there are really not many big buildings ( :pir-cry_sad: ), that's right. But there are 6 minifigs included, a boat and some vey nice additional stuff. So 50 Euros is in my eyes surely not too less - but even not to much money I'd say. :pir-wink:

To the pirate ship:

This ship is absolutely awesome and so lovely built, it includes seven minifigs, a boat, a ( :pir-sceptic: ) shark and a lot of nice accessory. I know that when the Black Seas Barracuda was re-released some years ago it was sold for 100 Euros (I know that because I bought it :pir-wink: ). So you really can't complain about 80 Euros since this is a fair price for that what you get. :thumbup:

Klaus-Dieter

I really don't understand why some of you complain about the price of the ship and the fortress.

To the fortress:

Ok, there are really not many big buildings ( :pir-cry_sad: ), that's right. But there are 6 minifigs included, a boat and some vey nice additional stuff. So 50 Euros is in my eyes surely not too less - but even not to much money I'd say. :pir-wink:

To the pirate ship:

This ship is absolutely awesome and so lovely built, it includes seven minifigs, a boat, a ( :pir-sceptic: ) shark and a lot of nice accessory. I know that when the Black Seas Barracuda was re-released some years ago it was sold for 100 Euros (I know that because I bought it :pir-wink: ). So you really can't complain about 80 Euros since this is a fair price for that what you get. :thumbup:

Klaus-Dieter

Yes I agree with everything you say here, but things just seem to be a bit pricey where I live. For instance, I bought a cheap microphone for Oceans on End in a small country town, the I saw the same mic in Canberra for $30 more! So maybe getting a friend to buy these sets elsewhere and send to me would be the best option?

Edited by Captain Zuloo

I expect these prices in the UK would be:

Both Impulses: £2.49

Cannon Battle: £3.99

Kraken Attack: £5.99

Treasure Island: £14.99

Shipwreck Hideout: £29.99

Soldier's Fort: £34.99/£39.99

Pirate Ship: £69.99

I expect these prices in the UK would be:

Both Impulses: £2.49

Cannon Battle: £3.99

Kraken Attack: £5.99

Treasure Island: £14.99

Shipwreck Hideout: £29.99

Soldier's Fort: £34.99/£39.99

Pirate Ship: £69.99

Those translated into Australian Dollars:

Both Impulses: $5.50

Cannon Battle: $7.70

Kraken Attack: $13.20

Treasure Island: $33.10

Shipwreck Hideout: $66.20

Soldier's Fort: $77.30

Pirate Ship: $154.60

Those Translated into United States Dollars:

Both Impulses: $4.55

Cannon Battle: $6.40

Kraken Attack: $10.95

Treasure Island: $27.40

Shipwreck Hideout: $54.85

Soldier's Fort: $64.00

Pirate Ship: $128.16

Well, if those prices are correct, then I have a bit of saving up to do. I think I will probably start by purchasing maybe 20 of the soldier impulses?

Those translated into Australian Dollars:

Both Impulses: $5.50

Cannon Battle: $7.70

Kraken Attack: $13.20

Treasure Island: $33.10

Shipwreck Hideout: $66.20

Soldier's Fort: $77.30

Pirate Ship: $154.60

Well, if those prices are correct, then I have a bit of saving up to do. I think I will probably start by purchasing maybe 20 of the soldier impulses?

Add a little bit on

eg The impulse would be $6

To be precise the Impulse sets are $5.95 at Target.

Wha! Have I been terribly uninformed? Are the pirate sets actually - already out! My god! I can't believe this. Please tell me it isn't true because I have some work I need to do tomorrow and if they are out, then I will be forced to go out and buy some. Otherwise, how do you know the price?

[quote name='Mister Ph