the enigma that is badger

New 2009 Pirates Sets - NEW closeups of the wench & mermaid added

Who else think its rather cold in here?

I hope islanders make an appearance as well. They have some pretty good parts.

I think I good subtheme I would like to appear is Ninjas.

I think a good subtheme I would like to appear is Ninjas.

Ninjas requires a brand new theme of it's own, perhaps with other Asian warriors and places like Age III The Asian Dynasties.

It's definitely good to see how the new Pirates line is shaping up. The balance between old and new elements seems to be about right, and I love the new pieces. The spyglass especially is a part that is long overdue for Pirates. This is yet another line with sets I just have to get. :imperialguard_commander1:

One thing I would love to see, though, is a green parrot with markings like the old scarlet macaw. However, LEGO doesn't seem too keen on much printing lately, so it will have to remain wishful thinking for now.

Here are the prices for the new sets (just Euro).

6239 Chase for the map 5,99 €

6240 Pirate raft 9,99 €

6241 Treasure Island 19,99 €

6242 Soldiers Fort 49,99 €

6243 Pirateship 79,99 €

6253 Shipswreck -39,99 €

And two Impulse:

8396 Soldier 2,99 €

Soldier with three weapons, backpack and the big hat.

8397 Pirate 2,99 €

Pirate with weapon and campfire.

Release month is April.

Edited by Navy Trooper Fenson

6240 Pirate raft 9,99 €

6243 Pirateship 79,99 €

6253 Shipswreck -39,99 €

And two Impulse:

8396 Soldier 2,99 €

8397 Pirate 2,99 €

Release month is April.

Where did you get that info from? Do you know it to be true? :pir_wacko:

:skull:

Edited by Shoc

6240 Pirate raft 9,99 €

6243 Pirateship 79,99 €

6253 Shipswreck -39,99 €

And two Impulse:

8396 Soldier 2,99 €

8397 Pirate 2,99 €

Release month is April.

Not to be rude or anything, but could you tell us where you got this info from?

And:

8396 Soldier 2,99 €

If this is true, I can imagine many army-builders will be very happy! :pir-sweet:

Bluebeard, out-

I´ve got the news from a friendly shop-assistant. I don´t want to say more, but I think that the news are right. Maybe, I get pics later.

:pir-oh3: Sounds interesting anyway...

I just realised, I haven't yet commented on the news. I think these pirate sets are great, true to the older theme but with newer pieces, some we don't have yet. Really good looking sets, with mermaid too! :pir-wub::pir-laugh:

:skull:

Edited by Shoc

6240 Pirate raft 9,99 €

6243 Pirateship 79,99 €

6253 Shipswreck -39,99 €

And two Impulse:

8396 Soldier 2,99 €

8397 Pirate 2,99 €

Release month is April.

The fort and ship are a bit more expensive than I thought (I thought it would be like 40€ and 60€, or at least they should be)

The soldier impulse set would definately drive prices for shako's (and epaulettes) down.

Edited by Fluyt

The fort and ship are a bit more expensive than I thought (I thought it would be like 40€ and 60€, or at least they should be)

The soldier impulse set would definately drive prices for shako's (and epaulettes) down.

(...) depending on how different they are compared to the older items. I once read about the rumour that TLC had destroyed the mold for the shako and that they were unable to reproduce this part. Hmm, makes you wonder why this new shako - apart from the color of the plume and the sticker or whatever - looks so similar compared to the old model. Making an entirely new mold is a costly enterprise, mind.

6240 Pirate raft 9,99 €

6243 Pirateship 79,99 €

6253 Shipswreck -39,99 €

And two Impulse:

8396 Soldier 2,99 €

8397 Pirate 2,99 €

Release month is April.

Is it just me, or is Lego suddenly introducing more varied release dates for their products?

I hope we all (The whole World) get Power Miners AND Pirates, but it seems Europe will definately get Pirates! :pir-devil:

Is it just me, or is Lego suddenly introducing more varied release dates for their products?

I hope we all (The whole World) get Power Miners AND Pirates, but it seems Europe will definately get Pirates! :pir-devil:

Pirates will be introduced world wide. It is capable of becoming one of the more important lines besides Star Wars, Castle, City and some others. After all, Lego Pirates was the best selling line in 1989, when this range was introduced. Pirates was also the first line of products with minifigs with different heads / faces (no standard Lego heads). It still puzzles me why Lego dropped the line somewhere around 1997 / 1998, although I must admit that designwise things had gone a bit worse compared to the first years (1989 - 1994). All TLC did since then is introduce Duplo and Jack Stone Pirates + a few classic re-issues such as 6290 Pirate Battle Ship, 6291 Spaniard Ship, 6292 Enchanted Island and 10040 Black Seas Barracuda. Perhaps the sales figures of the re-issues might have made Lego understand that there definitely is a market for Lego Pirates. And this market is worldwide, from Europe to the Americas and Australasia as well.

Edited by jamtf

Some thoughts:

Looking allright. Two minifig, a cannon and some nice bricks. Nothing wrong there, price is acceptable. However, I have the feeling I´ve seen that before. It´s nothing new, nothing to rallye about.

6240 Pirate raft 9,99 €

Nice parts in nice colors, but it looks a little weak IMHO. I don´t dig the Octopuss at all. Could as well be priced 7.99 since it doesn´t offer too much.

Giant pieces for the base. Are those parts new? Haven´t seen them before, but they look very childish. However, cool set design, I like it! What I don´t like are the action features. I´m sick and tired of all those flickfires, grenade launchers and everything else that´s just for kids without imagination. Kids that need moveable parts to throw bricks at the enemies.

(Much more efficient when playing is to take the bricks in your hand and PRETEND to be launching those on the enemies. That way YOU decide where the bomb lands. I never missed in my childhood :pir-skull: )

OVERPRICED! Seriously. That´s a rather small set. Nice to get a bunch of minifigs and accessories, and the set design is beautiful. But the price is just too high IMHO.

6243 Pirateship 79,99 €

Can´t say anything to that, as ships never were of any interest to me. Looking good, though. Very high priced, and you could never really play with one ship alone. You needed at least a playset, island, base, whatever, or another high priced ship to battle. Boring, IMHO.

6253 Shipswreck -39,99 €

I could´t find a picture of that, but it sounds good.

Overall thoughts:

I don´t have the feeling to see a brand new line here. It´s more like coming home, which is a really good thing. All sets can be combined with the old sets. However, I even don´t have the impression to get new sets, but revamps of old ones. With the exception of the Fort. One can never have too many different buildings.

I´ve got the news from a friendly shop-assistant. I don´t want to say more, but I think that the news are right. Maybe, I get pics later.

Pics of what? :pir_wacko:

Thanks for the prices :pir-classic: Aus. prices are normally 1/2 more or so bigger than Euro (sometimes not always though) they are about what I expected.

Than :thumbup: ks

Those Pirate Impulse sets are really great, with so many useful accessories!

EDIT: Yes, skulls seem to be gone from the sails. But the parrot is gone as well...

Edited by Kamzel

Here we go for the New Pics ! INcl Boxes AND 2 Impulse!!

-pic-

-pic-

-pic-

Nice :thumbup:. I like the impulse sets.

And is it just me, or does the ship not have skulls on its top sails anymore?

i'm speechless, the sets look now so much better than on the first pictures, even if the quality is worse. Love those impulse sets and the one with the brifge, which we haven't seen yet.

But the parrot is gone as well...

I see one in the Shipwreck Island, next to the pirate captain. So don't worry, we'll get a new, funky parrot. :pir-wink:

I like them all. The impulse sets and the shipwreck are new and never seen before. All sets contain useful parts. About the missing parrot on the ship... as you can see the top of the masts is not very well visible because of the box size. It might be there, if only we could have a peak at the box top.

There is something that is very different compared to the old sets. Almost every set, except for the impulse line of course, contains both pirate and soldier minifigs. All of the old pirate and soldier ships that we know did not have any other factions included. Only the classic outposts, fortresses and ports such as 6263, 6266, 6267, 6276 and 6277 for instance usually contain pirates and soldiers combined. Most sets however were either pirates or soldiers.

I :pir-wub: The Shipwreck Cove. Such a good selection of pieces although the wreck is the same design as the Aqua Raiders set.

Nice GOLD BRIDGE and :cannon: included!

Those Impulses will sell like Nintendo Wiis - they might sell out within seconds!

For me, perhaps all except Island and Ship x1 and Imulses x10 :monkey:

It seems Slyowl posted those online. I wonder where he is!

I saved those pics and YOU (Ye) should do the same.

I'd say I will get soldier's arsenal impulse and the soldier fort. Finnaly, my BSB has something to be worried about!