the enigma that is badger

New 2009 Pirates Sets - NEW closeups of the wench & mermaid added

thanks for the correction, i thought something seemed a little odd. more of a reason for them to have backpacks then

A note on the "sticker shako" issue - We must remember that these are preliminary pictures. It is possible that the shako will have print on them in the final model.

Why do I say this?

'Cause if you look at the Pirate Creator set, you'll notice that minifig has a torso sticker.

Now, do you honestly think that TLG would put a torso sticker in a set (unless it was LEGO Factory)?

Bluebeard, out-

Edited by Capt. Bluebeard

What a fortuitous circumstance be this... I for one am very excited about these new sets. Little bits I might not like as much but overall very Awesome.

Am I the only one who wants the rank badge on the shakos to be a sticker? Not only will I be able to choose which badge to put on (I could see a small sticker sheet with four stickers being put in each set), but I'm not sure whether or not I want the rank badge on at all.

I have three questions.

1.) Can the cannons actually shoot? How does it shoot??

2.) Are the tassels removable on the hats of the soldiers? In 6243 it is red, but black for all other sets.

3.) These are coming out September 2008 or September 2009?

Edited by legobear

I have three questions.

They shoot by pulling the pin thing back and releasing it then they fire a 1x1 round piece they work pretty good

(I have one)

I hope these ones fire all the Ninja ones were in the pictures but when I got them they were not the firing ones

2.) Are the tassels removable on the hats of the soldiers? In 6243 it is red, but black for all other sets.

2. No they are not removeable (you mean the plume/tassel on the shako right?), at least not if they are the same as they used to be.

3. In the brickshelf folder (which first had these pics I think), it said something about january-may 2009 (it said enuaro-maio or something, can't remember how it was written, but I asume that means january-may)

I have three questions.

Answer: You pull back the long piece on the back and the cannon is spring loaded, so you let go and the 'cannonball' fires.

Answer: Tassels are removeable on the triangular hats (don't know the name) but they shouldn't be on the shakos.

Answer: What Hollisbrick said was quite misleading if interpreted wrongly, but they should be out in January, March or May.

(Those 3 months are usually main release times)

Edited by The Rancor

I LOVE Pirates! I don't know why I posted this.....well anway the ship is my favorite set and a close second is the fort which is beautiful.

PIRATES ON!!

Lego12

Thank you Rancor, Fluyt and Legoman :pir-blush: I want that cannon piece even more 0_0 now. Plus now I finally know what a shako is. Very big thanks for the translation of january to may :pir_laugh2:

Hurray for pirates!!

I can't wait for the pictures of the production sets!

These prelims are very nice, but I can't say they really do it for me... We'll see.

On a side note, did anyone else notice the new pirate theme is going to be released exactly 20 years after the first ever pirate set was released?

Yes, I certainly did Mr Tiber. But so what? :pir-tongue:

Well, I guess it's a fun fact? :pir_laugh2:

I wonder if that was done intentionally or by coincidence..

I like the sets. Its a start, and you know that the line is going to do well. So hopefully we will have more new ships. Hell, ill buy the sets for the parts, minifigs, and cannons.. Lord knows I could use more cannons and figs.

Am I the only one who wants the rank badge on the shakos to be a sticker? Not only will I be able to choose which badge to put on (I could see a small sticker sheet with four stickers being put in each set), but I'm not sure whether or not I want the rank badge on at all.

I too am sort of actually hoping they *are* stickers. That way I can either have nice plain shakos, or use the stickers (and know that plain shakos will be easier to get hold of even if I want to keep mine stickered).

I too am sort of actually hoping they *are* stickers. That way I can either have nice plain shakos, or use the stickers (and know that plain shakos will be easier to get hold of even if I want to keep mine stickered).

Are there pictures of these floating around? Could someone PM me a link or such? I'd much appreciate it. My brother is going to go nuts if he hears they're making "tall hats" (aka imperials with shakos) again.

:)

I'm not so sure that they are. They don't have the natural appearence of stickers. I think they actually stick out! But the option for a plain shako would be nice.

I'm not so sure that they are. They don't have the natural appearence of stickers. I think they actually stick out! But the option for a plain shako would be nice.

Someone from Hong Kong just put 200 Shakos on sale in their Bricklink store. $5.99 USD each! Shakos are going up faster then gas here in the states. I sure hope there will be some plain shakos soon to ease all these high prices. Maybe then I could refit my army to the 16th-17th century.

Tony

6239 (the one with the cannon)

What I like

• The Imperial Guard with cannon concept - the designer was obviously inspired by my 6238 Imperial Ground Forces MOC :pir-grin:
  • A all new map for the pirate theme

What I don't like

• I'm not exactly sure what that grey structure is yet. It looks like a statue better suited to the Island sub-theme.

Maybe it's a hint of the return of the Islanders... :pir-laugh::kahuka::pir-laugh:

Tony

A all new map for the pirate theme

It's not completely new though - it's the same map as in already released Indiana Jones sets.

Maybe it's a hint of the return of the Islanders... :pir-laugh::kahuka::pir-laugh:

Quite possibly, as there's also an "Islanders-looking" statue it the set with the treasure island. I hope they make them a bit better than the last time though. :pir-tongue:

You never know, though I think the current Agents map would make a better hint in some ways. I actually thought of Pirates the first time I saw it, did a quick decal based on a pic (which turned out to be pretty accurate) and then made variations of it, in a more Pirate style, as seen here:

Original, then variations ranging from colourful to more parchment historical looking, all done at 600dpi.

agentsjungle2x2map_org.png_thumb.jpg agentsjungle2x2map_alt1.png_thumb.jpg agentsjungle2x2map_alt2.png_thumb.jpg agentsjungle2x2map_alt6.png_thumb.jpg

agentsjungle2x2map_alt7.png_thumb.jpg agentsjungle2x2map_alt3.png_thumb.jpg agentsjungle2x2map_alt4.png_thumb.jpg agentsjungle2x2map_alt5.png_thumb.jpg

(Click thumbnail for full size image)

Quite possibly, as there's also an "Islanders-looking" statue it the set with the treasure island. I hope they make them a bit better than the last time though. :pir-tongue:

It's either that or a small stone window, like a ruined fortification, it's very hard to tell. As for making them better, I was in my dark ages for the first Islanders, so if there is another run, I'll just be happy to get them.