the enigma that is badger

New 2009 Pirates Sets - NEW closeups of the wench & mermaid added

OMG OMG OMG! WOWOWOWOW! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

Phew! Got that off my chest. I am SO EXCITED! :pir-sweet:

Those all look AWESOME!!!

I'm kinda sorry there are no ships, though :pir_bawling:.

I, for one, trust this information. I would shove it off as a fake if it hadn't been shown on Whung's blog. Whung has given us a lot of true information thus far (though not directly- he doesn't post much), and I trust him now.

Edited by Adam

YES.

Oh please, please, TLC, make this theme good! I don't know what I'd do if it ended up like the 4+ pirate theme... *shudder*

At the least, give us something like vikings...but with figs-on-figs. Figs-on-monsters gets so boring after a while, but it sounds like the Kracken Attackin' set is like that...

It mentions both Pirates and Soldiers, so doesn't that imply faction warfare?

I am truly interested in this line.

Thanx for posting this Badger! :thumbup:

Spectacular find. :pir-classic:

4+ pirate theme... *shudder*

Mister Phes hold your tongue! :pir-tongue:

Or the theme will be cursed. :pir-cry_sad:

YAY! Fulfillment! I am however, pissed about the Kraken set. I would have preferred to not introduce mythology, etc. into the Pirate theme. It could however, be easily turned into a giant squid, if that's the type of kraken they go with. I would be bothered if they went with the giant octopus-type kraken. Unless it's brickbuilt.

That'd be funny if the Kraken was the name of a ship. :pir-laugh:

It is a possibility, but not likely.

I'm kinda sorry there are no ships, though :pir_bawling:.

Hmm, maybe the Kraken is the Pirate ship after all. :pir-cry_happy:

I was so excited from reading the title. But if you follow the link, it leads you to an Asian blogsite with no images to back up the names. I'm hopeful, but I'll still be recruiting the old Imperials for my army. If anyone is ready to give up their redcoats, just let me know.

Images have been a lot harder to get lately.

I think TLG has tightened down on cell phones allowed in their factories. :pir-wink:

This may be the best we can get for a while.

Lets not make any judgments based on these mere titles as we might be quite pleasantly satisfied when we see the end result.

Mind you I'm not really one for brick-built beasts myself.

The viking monters were pretty good though :pir-wink:

Exciting news! A new pirate theme would be awesome. I just hope it's not part of Pirates 4+ or Duplo. I can't wait to see the official line-up.

A big thank you to Badger.

Exciting news! A new pirate theme would be awesome. I just hope it's not part of Pirates 4+ or Duplo. I can't wait to see the official line-up.

A big thank you to Badger.

Hey Brickster! Havn't seen you around here for a while :pir-classic: Something tells me that this is the thing that we've been waiting for and not some duplo crap. I think this is because there is an impulse set and I dont think TLG will ever (hopefully) produce a duplo impulse.

Just my thought :pir-classic:

I appreciate all the kudos folks, but like I said, I'm just passing on what someone already posted. I can't vouch for the accuracy of the info but thought it was important enough to pass on.

Personally, I dig the (what I hope are subtle) fantasy element of the sets, namely the kraken. When TLC tested ideas for the new Castle line, humans vs humans didn't nearly do as well with younger builders than humans vs fantasy. From the set names (assuming they're accurate) I think we can assume

TLC is trying to find a balance between pirates vs soldiers and humans vs beasties of the murky depths. Like I've said before elsewhere, TLC has done a great job satisfying both their core audience and AFOLs the past few years, and I have no doubt they'll continue to do so.

badger

you guys were saying that there aren't any ships, but "Brickbeard's Bounty" sounds to me like it probably is, not to mention even if the kraken isn't a ship, it probably has some sort of ship with it, so that the kraken can have something to be attacking.

god, I hope this is real, guess we'll have to wait til an official announcement to be sure, but oh well, this is getting me excited, I may decide to actually buy all of these, and just after I bought an orc ship to convert into a pirate ship too lol, oh well no harm in having lots of ships.

Edited by theestampede

Even as a Space fan I'm actually pretty excited about this! It's been so long since we've had a pirate theme!

I can't wait for the first pics!

The site is in Chinese. I second what Adam said about Whung. Whung has posted several things like this in the past, and although I was skeptical, he never fails to deliver. I'd be pretty surprised if this isn't real. I'm very very excited about this, I want those pirate sets back!!! :pir-cry_happy: 2009 Pirates ON!

you guys were saying that there aren't any ships, but "Brickbeard's Bounty" sounds to me like it probably is, not to mention even if the kraken isn't a ship, it probably has some sort of ship with it, so that the kraken can have something to be attacking.

Exactly what I was going to say. :pir-tongue: I'm curious about the Cannon Battle, are these going to be the spring loaded projectiles that seem to be everywhere, or are they going to be a new piece entirely? Obviously Lego is never bringing back the original firing cannons, but I hope at least they make a new cannon, rather than trying to use those spring loaded cannons, they just don't fit in with pirates.

I wonder if the soldier's will get a ship? There's a possibility that Kraken Attackin' may have a Kraken a Pirate Ship and a soldier ship. I know it's unusual for Lego to have three factions in one set, but that's basically what's happening in Troll warship. There's also a possibility that they might have a ship in the shipwreck hide-out set. It's common these days fro most sets to include members of both factions, so I would expect that there may be ships in sets than it first appears based on these names.

I'm almost positive Brickbeard's Bounty is a ship. I doubt it would be another base, since there are already loot island and shipwreck hideout. Also the action themes tend to vehicles more than bases these days.

Of course there's always the possibility that this is all made up :pir_bawling: , but it certainly feels true. :pir-sweet:

ah, i'm certainly buying these pirate sets!

(edited: my old post could have been misinterpreted.)

Edited by maiq the liar

Ever since I first saw those two minifigures in Chandler I photographed, I saw this coming from many nautical miles away. :pir-tongue:

Thanks for the news. :pir-classic:

OMG PIRATEs their back!?!?! this is a miracle from Lego and all the other themes so many new sets

-insert girlish scream-

I feel really happy!!

SirNadroj was right they will return!

Edited by mammymarf

Wow, great news, thanks! :wub:

Some of these sets sound very promising. It sounds like we'll be getting Imperials. Hopefully there will be a nice set for Imperial army building. Hopefully the soldiers will be getting some eppaulettes (gold ones would be great :wub:) though, unlike the ones Sir Nadroj found.

I'm very confident that we'll be getting a large ship though - how could you have a Pirate theme without one? A pirate without a ship wouldn't be a pirate at all!

Funny that we'll be getting a kraken though. Surely the only real link between them and 18th Century pirates are through the PotC movies. In fact, I'm puzzled as to why a kraken wasn't released for the Vikings line?

Thanks again for bringing this to our attention badger, pics and 2009 ON! :pir-classic:

Hey Brickster! Havn't seen you around here for a while :pir-classic: Something tells me that this is the thing that we've been waiting for and not some duplo crap. I think this is because there is an impulse set and I dont think TLG will ever (hopefully) produce a duplo impulse.

Hi Hollis. I've been busy in the City forum lately (haven't even had much time for Grave Stone). I think you're right. I've said this before, but I've always thought that it's not a matter IF Lego brings back the Pirate theme, it's just a matter of WHEN. Things always have a way of repeating, and I think we may see it based on this info.

I'm really excited as I've been buying some Playmobil Pirates lately - oops, I said the "P"-word (and I' didn't mean Pirates). :pir-cry_sad:

I just got back from a trip.

This is so exciting!

Arrr, me timbers be shivering!

The bg reason as to why there were no Krakens involved in the Viking line is that as opposed to Fenris and the various dragons there weren't any Norse myths about a Kraken. They widely believed that the Atlantic ocean was inhabited by creatures but there were never mentions of what specifically it was.

However, I am stoked to hear about this. I guess I will be saving up for '09. I think the last thing I buy of '08 will be the Castle Advent Calendar. Then it's pirates and more pirates!

Wow! awesome. I fear for my wallet in '09.

The Pirate and StarWars sets look excellent. On the bright side the city stuff doesn't look that interesting to me so I might get a break there.

I kinda quit lego about the time the old Pirate sets trickled out of production. Is kinda funny that Pirates are coming back just after I start collecting again.

The bg reason as to why there were no Krakens involved in the Viking line is that as opposed to Fenris and the various dragons there weren't any Norse myths about a Kraken. They widely believed that the Atlantic ocean was inhabited by creatures but there were never mentions of what specifically it was.

That's an interesting point. The legend of a giant squid or octopus seems to have originated in Norse mythology although they weren't called "Krakens"

According to the Wikipedia on Kraken

Although the name kraken never appears in the Norse sagas, there are similar sea monsters, the hafgufa and lyngbakr, both described in Örvar-Odds saga and the Norwegian text from c. 1250, Konungs skuggsjá.[3] Carolus Linnaeus included kraken as cephalopods with the scientific name Microcosmus in the first edition of his Systema Naturae (1735), a taxonomic classification of living organisms, but excluded the animal in later editions. Kraken were also extensively described by Erik Pontoppidan, bishop of Bergen, in his "Natural History of Norway" (Copenhagen, 1752–3).

pi055.jpg

"New sets? NEW SETS???!!! . . . You guys will still always have a place in your heart for me, right? I mean, I started the whole deal. Who was in the first Pirate set you bought, huh? Who's always been there for you over the years? Oh, first sign of some new, attractive Pirate figs, and off you go runnning. Fine then! Have fun with your kraken! I know when I'm not wanted! . . . oh, please take me back! I promise I'll command lower prices on Bricklink with new figs around, really I will!"

It's ok, Capt. Redbeard; you'll always be the first and best LEGO Pirate captain in my book! :pir-blush:

badger

"New sets? NEW SETS???!!! . . . You guys will still always have a place in your heart for me, right? I mean, I started the whole deal. Who was in the first Pirate set you bought

Actually, it was Bo'Sun Will in 6235 Buried Treasure :pir-grin:

Though it does seem that Red Beard/Roger has been replaced by Blockbeard. I wonder he'll look like... Hopefully quite different.