Set#: 7103

Theme: Star Wars

Set Name: Jedi Duel

Pieces: 74

Release: 2002

Price: 10 USD

Minifigs: 2 (Count Dooku and Yoda)

Links: 7103 Brickshelf Folder Bricklink Reference Catalog Peeron.com

Introcomment: I remember getting this set solely because I collect Star Wars. As I rebuild it and took pics of it, I found that I actually like this set for different reasons. Dooku's speeder is pretty cool and the lightsabre rocks. The Dooku minifig is also great. What's not so great is the flythingy and getting another Yoda. Though that's kinda hard not to get in a set focused on their duel :wacko:

"You can't see the wires, because they digitally removed them."

"Be careful or I'll digidally remove your head"

- Steven Seagal [i hope I quoted that one right :grin: ]

So to get the review on the move, I'll impress you all with a box picture:

7103box.jpg

Neat, huh? One of the smaller boxes, but still kinda big when consider that you only get 74 pieces and 2 minifigs. The instruction isn't that big :hmpf:

7103count_dooku.jpg

7103figs.jpg

As I said, the Dooku minifigs is awesome :wub: I love the print on his torso that combines the brown cape with the torso and also the head is neatly designed. Not a fleshie, though. This was before the flesh-license-facelift

7103speeder001.jpg

A sideview of the light blue speeder. Mmmm that crome light sabre hilt is nice :wub: The design of the speeder is also ok, and without the usual off-colour-scheme bricks. No tan or yellow sticking out there :thumbup:

7103speeder002.jpg

Yeah, I'd panic too if this came right at me...who wouldn't when noone's driving?

7103speeder003.jpg

And a rear shot. I think the design is a little off. The shields makes it all a little too open in my opinion. The printed bricks are a kick and thus evens the score here.

7103erhm001.jpg

7103erhm002.jpg

This hideous design is meant to flip Yoda around the air. Put him in this funfair from Hell thing and give him a twister he and Dooku will never forget. My guess is that it's there to add some playability, but it's just odd and quite useless. Much like the playability soccer thingies in the Ultimate Light Sabre Duel :thumbdown:

The Verdict:

Ups and downs. This set offers both. I rate it as "Average" since the size and price of the set make it acceptable to have odd things. Confused? Good so am I :wacko: Making a small set isn't that easy and remeber this set is from 2002 and a lot has happended since then, designwise that is.

What do you think?

Whats wrong with another yoda and some nice light blue bricks? I probably would destroy this set, and keep the minifigs intack tough, chrome lightsabers on!

Thanks for the review KimT! Oldies reviews(old sets :tongue: ) Are always appreciated. :thumbup:

I feel this set isn't that great.

1- Yoda: He is by far the best part of the set. Although, is his weapon blue?

2-Lord Tyrannus: Pretty nice! I feel the middle part of his torso is a bit bland, but that isn't a problem. I wish they would make a fleshie one too.

3- Speeder bike: I always hated this design. The back looks terrible to me. Way too bulky in my opinion. It jusn't give me the image that it's the same as the movie. The lightsaber is amazing! Why is it only in this set?

4-Yoda-Lifter: What? That is terrible. But at least it has some nicely colored parts.... :sceptic:

A fine set, but not the best IMO.

You think it's not a great thing that we get a Yoda fig in an affordable set like this?!? *huh* That was the main reason why I got this set! And what do you mean by "another"? Wasn't this the only one that was ever released except for the one in the Dagobah/X-Wing set? Sure, he is not the best fig with the unmovable legs and all, but still: It's Yoda! :tongue: Besides, he doesn't move his legs a lot in "real" life either. :wink:

Nice review, though, and thanks for telling me what that liftarm-thingy was meant to be for. I never got that and thought it was supposed to lift up the speeder for some reason. :wacko:

I got two of this set, and the printing on those blue parts were off in the second one I got. :hmpf_bad:

Edited by Oky Wan Kenobi

No, Yoda was released in no less than 3(4) sets.

Ok, so I remembered wrong. I just have plenty Yodas and one is more than enough :wacko:

For the set list click here

Thanks for pointing that out. :thumbup:

Nice review :thumbup:

I realy like this set, two nice minifigs in an affordable set and i do like the speeder

but that lift thing is strange, but now at least i know what it is, thanks for letting me know!

Thanks for the nice review KimT :thumbup: . I like this set especially by the fact that it is the only set containing the Dooku minifig and the curved lightsaber :wub: , I also think that the :yoda: minifig is cool but I also own the Dagobah x-wing and the wookiee catamaran sets so I have enought :yoda: minifigs (A clone wars version would be very cool :wub: ) and the extra-thingy is well, just OK. The bad part is that I don

Edited by darkrebellion

Wasn't this the only [Yoda] that was ever released except for the one in the Dagobah/X-Wing set? Sure, he is not the best fig with the unmovable legs and all, but still: It's Yoda!

Edit:

I'm pretty sure we got a Yoda in the Wookiee Catamaran set from Revenge of the Sith ...runs to check Brickset... yep, there's a Yoda in that set, as well. But the Jedi Duel is the only reasonably priced set with the green Force-guru.

Nevermind, looks like a couple of other members already covered Yoda's availability in other sets.

Back on topic: Great review, and a real blast from the past. I never did get this set, just didn't care for the speederbike or the weird piece of equipment. Thanks for explaining that it's supposed to be used to "force-jump & spin" Yoda all over the place. I never knew that's what it was for. Anyway, wish I had known Yoda and Dooku were going to be impossible to get later; I may've picked this set up just for the minifigs.

Edited by bamaker

I think this is a pretty lame set. It came with Dooku, who I think only came in this set, plus a unique Lightsaber. Still, they could have made it much bigger, added Anikan and Obi-Wan, and added structures and made it more like the scene from the movie. Also, the speeder doesn't seem very accurate.

I missed out on this set but it looks pretty good IMO. Thanks for clearing up what that thing was I thought it was something they flung at eachother in the movie :blush:

I like the lightsaber also but why did they stop making chrome ones :cry_sad:

I missed this set.But i reallly like the yoda and count dooku.I especially like count dooku's lightsaber.One thing though,is it me oris yoda's lightsaber blue in the picture?

Edited by pr0visorak

I was very lucky to get this set and I love it, I dont have it built cause i bought it for parts but it was fun while it lasted. :thumbup: .

I got this set a long time ago. The review pretty much says all there is to say about it.

(Never knew what the red/brown thing was anyway, I used it as a canon.)

Isn't this also the only set up until now that had Count Dooku in it?

Great review, KimT! At that time, it was still in my dark age and I hated myself not to get this set earlier. This is quite inexpensive and you are able to get two greatest characters especially Count Dooku. The minifigs are excellent, especially the unique design of Count Dooku's lightsaber.

I have no problem with the speedbike, as it looks quite alright to me. As for the elevation of Yoda's jump adds some playabilty, but that does not work well for me. Nevertheless, the main attractive factor is Count Dooku and I have to rate it a "5". I never own a Yoda, except for the magnet version. :sadnew:

Cheers for the review KimT!

Of the initial Episode II Lego releases this set was the least inspiring, but the minifigs were must-haves. You can't go wrong with Count Dooku and Yoda!

I like the design of Dooku's speeder in the movie but Lego missed the mark a bit with it here and gave him a dodgy flying boat instead! The speeder cradle/Yoda jumping mechanism was just a waste of parts unfortunately. I'd like to see Dooku's speeder re-imagined by Lego. They've come a long way in the way they design a lot of the new Star Wars sets :classic: