• 5 - Outstanding

Aerial Recovery

Set #: 6462

Theme: Town Res-Q

Year Released: 1998

Piece Count: 201

Minifigs: 3

List Price: $25 (USD)

My personal favorite of the Res-Q theme released in 1998 was this helicopter, 6462 Aerial Recovery. The set offered a pretty modern helicopter, raft, three-wheeler, rescue gurney and net, and three figs including a diver. The set is action-packed and offers a high degree of play value.

Starting with the box, front side and back:

01box1.jpg Front

02box2.jpg Back

I always liked the rough ocean/sea water pictured in the boxart.

The same image from the front of the box appears on the cover of the instructions:

03inst1.jpg

But the back of the instructions picture a plain view of the copter:

04inst2.jpg

One sticker sheet with a few "Res-Q" stickers is included, mainly for the tail section of the helicopter:

05decals.jpg

Interestingly, the set includes three figures, one being a diver. What I always found strange is the inclusion of an "X-Treme Team" Diver who has the logo on his torso (although it's a very nice fig):

06figs1.jpg

Back shot:

07figs2.jpg

I think this was my first set with a Lego three-wheeler. I always liked it a lot:

08cycle.jpg

The set includes a yellow raft (also found in the Divers sets) and some scuba gear:

09raft.jpg

NOTE: the raft has a black piece in it's center for lifting up by the helicopter

For sea and emergent rescue, a gurney can also be lifted by the helicopter:

10gurney.jpg

The set also includes a net with hook to lift the three-wheeler and other items. An extra string pulls the net closed:

11net.jpg

Here's a shot of the helicopter:

12cop1.jpg

The front section has a large trans. blue piece enclosing the cockpit:

13front.jpg

Inside is a printed radar slope:

14open.jpg

A smaller trans. blue piece appears a bit higher for access to the middle section of the helicopter and/or a small storage area:

15top.jpg

In the middle section is an place for the gurney and a box for storing some of the adventure gear:

16bot.jpg

Here's a picture showing the gurney:

17gurn.jpg

On the side is a pulley mechanism that swings to the right when not in use:

18hook.jpg

On the opposite side is the winch to raise and lower the grappling hook:

19winch.jpg

Here's a picture of an open storage box:

20box.jpg

I like the tail section with propeller:

21tail.jpg

Decal is not shown

Here's another shot of the copter from a different angle:

22cop2.jpg

And the final image, the entire set:

23set.jpg

Final Thoughts

Personally, I think this is pretty nice set. I like the thought of using the helicopter to rescue people at sea using the working winch. Extras like the trike/three-wheeler and the rescue net make the set even more fun. Hope you enjoy this Res-Q review.

Thanks for this review TheBrickster, i also have this set and think it's one of the best helicopters TLG made in the 90's. It's quite big and has got place for 2 minifigs in the cockpit. I also like the fact that there's a victim included in form of the x-treme diver, which also is a theme i always loved as a kid. Do you have any other Res-Q sets left to review? It would be an honour for me to also do a review of one or more sets which are left, but unfortunately i got not much time at the moment. :sceptic:

Do you have any other Res-Q sets left to review? It would be an honour for me to also do a review of one or more sets which are left

Thanks Metalandi. This and the Emergency Evac set are the only Re-Q sets I have. I would encourage you to share a review as you have done some very nice reviews.

I got this set as well as a Res-Q hovercraft. This set is cool because of all the accessories and it come with a X team guy. Your set is also in much better condition than mine. You have made me decide to rebuild it. Another great review TheBrickster. Keep up the good work.

Looks like a nice helicoptor, I love the 2 cockpits. I love the diver's head, I really need one of those.

This helicopter is so cool and I agreed with you that this is a high playablity set. It's not common to see such a big scale helicopter which has two cockpits back then. The color scheme works well for me. With so much features such as the lowering of the grappling hook, storage box, storing of the gurney and etc.

One thing which can be improved onto the helicopter is the rotors. It could be extended a little longer as the size of the helicopter is too big. It makes the rotors rather weak as it is not able to support the weight. I am confused why there is an extreme team personnel there. I thought he was supposed to be recovered from the Res-Q team? :tongue:

Although there is so many questions in my head such as why include the black tri-cycle bike, Extreme Team, and etc but this is still one very good set to play with. Too bad, I had never seen this before. Somehow, through your review, I like it very much. The only big scale helicopter which I owned is the 7738 Coast Guard Helicopter and Lift Raft. Neverthless, I gave this a "4". Thanks Brickster. :wink:

The helicopter looks nice and the RESQ minifigs were nice. The diver minifig had once been a personal favorite of mine.

Thanks for the review brickster, I do own this set in it's original form, The only drawback that I have noted previously is the lack of rotor's and the cobraesq of the copter body I wish it had a larger fuselage but I still have it and I still like it despite my criticism....Which I am sure is in my eyes only.

Thanks again Brickster.

I wish I had bought some of the other Res Q sets but of course I only bought three.

A neat set with lots of accessories, but I never liked any of the LEGO helicopters with long streamlined canopies, as they are obviously more influenced by military helicopters and space ships, than by real civilian transport helicopters. I'd give it a 3 at best.

Very good and thourough pictorial review though!

I've always wanted this set and the hovercraft... too bad I never did. Great set.

I stopped collecting LEGO sets in the early 90s because of this kind of sets. I've always been a classic town fan and I really didn't liked the futuristic design of TLC's newer sets.

I think the set is too unrealistic, I like the new ResQ sets better (and I'm somewhat a Lifeboat freak so I'm always following such a sets with interest).

I would like to see some rigit inflatable boats some day ;) but about the chopper, I like the accessoiries.

What exactly makes you feel this set isn't realistic? It has got nothing what wouldn't be on a real helicopter, imo. and for the futuristic design, yes, it looks modern, but it works. And actually, most of today's real helicopters also don't look like in the 70's anymore. :tongue:

What exactly makes you feel this set isn't realistic?

Since the question was asked...

1) tiny rotors

2) dual cockpits (only seen on a few military copters)

3) stretcher extends beyone edges of fuselage when inside the vehicle

4) Extra long canopy (really only seen on military helicopters), and "military" design.

5) Black colorscheme for rescue vehicle.

The the stretcher, minifig designs and rescue logo are the only things about this copter that really suggest that it is a civilian rescue aircraft. It's a toy set with alot of play value, but I agree with Karto that these kind of desgins really turned me off to alot of the TOWN and CITY sets of the 90's.

On the positive side, the new CITY sets, with thier realistic non-futuristic designs have really tempted me to buy more vehicles.