Sign in to follow this  
Kernow

LEGO Collector Premium Edition REVIEW

Well look what turned up in the post today! :classic::classic::classic: Originally I was going to get the standard edition, but as usual I was a sucker for a special edition. Anyway this is what you get...

dsc03591.jpg

Nicely shrink wrapped in a sturdy presentation box. The book does rattle around inside a bit, but it's in place enough not to get damaged. As you can see, as well as the hardback book you get a gold brick, 50th anniversary minifig and a yellow commemorative brick too.

dsc03592.jpg

Here's a close-up of the extra goodies.

dsc03585.jpg

The back of the box has the 50th anniversary logo and a hole so that you can see the number of your limited edition book.

dsc03586.jpg

There are 3,333 copies of this hardback edition and mine is 276!

dsc03594.jpg

Close-up of the gold brick. It's really shiny. :classic:

dsc03593.jpg

The minifig. Again very nice. His back is plain and he's not glued.

dsc03595.jpg

And the LEGO fan brick. I don't really get the point of this so much, but there was a nice surprise on the back...

dsc03596.jpg

Wasn't expecting that.

dsc03597.jpg

And finally the book. I'm really glad I've got the hardback. Having seen a paperback version already starting to look worn out, this should stay in a good condition for much longer. Nice silver detailing on the lettering too.

dsc03598.jpg

And the back with the edition number again. I'm not going to show any pictures of the inside in case I get in truble with the copyright. It's 800 pages long with almost all the sets from the last 50 years. I'm looking forward to spending a few evenings pouring over it. It's very well laid out and the majority of the sets have got pictures. There's also a keyrings section at the back. I've heard that ther are a few errors, but only serious LEGO historians are going to notice.

I really recommend this version to any LEGO collector if you can afford the extra cost. It really is a fantastic resource and the extras are a great touch too. :thumbup:

OK, Kernow you beat me to it. :hmpf_bad::laugh:

Anyway, I post my review in your thread then::tongue:

The premium collector guide arrived today!

The box was quite huge, the extras take their toll.

A small sidenote: This package was far better packed than the normal copies.

pict0022.jpgpict0017.jpg

Instead of the paperback copy of the normal version, the premium one is a real book with hardcover. The silver letters on the front and the side identify your copy as the premium collector edition.

pict0023.jpg

On the back you see your number of the limited edition (3333 published). Other than that there is NO differnce concerning the contents inside the book.

pict0020.jpg

Let´s see what the extra specials are:

pict0008.jpg

a 2x4 chrome gold brick with the years of the anniversary engraved "1958-2008". :wub:

Very nice. For me, I would have preferred a gold brick without any markings, but I´m far from complaining. Chrome gold is always good! :grin:

pict0010.jpg

The 50th anniversary minifig.

Classic smile, classic dress with a red cap and the lovely anniversary logo on the shirt.

Very well done! I might say they almost couldn´t have done better. :wub:

pict0012.jpg

and finally a 1x8 yellow brick with "LEGO® Fan" on the one side and "Anno 1958" on the back. Note that this brick was kind of glued to the back of the paper holder. I had to remove a slimy paste before I was able to handle it. :hmpf_bad:

pict0013.jpg

I think this 1x8 brick is supposed to be worn on the badges widely spread at exhibitions. Let´s see if we see any of those in the future.

flip.gif

I can´t see any use for the back printing though. :look:

pict0021.jpg

Random shot of the interior.

pict0006.jpg

The premium edition compared to the standard edition.

Final ratings:

Book___: :classic: :classic: :classic: :classic: :classic: (instead of 4 for the paperback issue)

2x4 brick: :classic: :classic: :classic: :classic: :classic:

Minifig__: :classic: :classic: :classic: :classic: :classic:

1x8 brick: :classic: :classic:

So far I didn´t regret to have my copy upgraded to the premium edition. If you are a true collector this is a MUST BUY.

Now let´s see of fast they sell the 3333 copies. :grin:

Thanks for the review Kernow:thumbup:!

I´m looking forward to check out mine, I have the softcover one already but this looks great!

Now you need to go and register your # online:

http://workfromtheheart.atspace.com/guide.html

CopMike

I've posted my details on the website. Hopefully if enough people do it, it will give an interesting demographic of who buys this sort of stuff.

Nice review Holodoc too. A quality compliment to mine. Always good to get in first though! :tongue: My LEGOfan brick had the gunk on the back too, but it had still become detached from the packaging. I had to turn it round for the photo. I've spent some time looking through the book and its a great read although I can't make out how they've calculated the rarity of each set. There are some odd results. :sceptic:

pict0013.jpg
I can´t see any use for the back printing though. :look:

The first thing that popped into my mind is that you tend to see a lot of restaurants and bars proclaiming how long they've been around. This piece would fit nicely above the door of a Mediterranean pizza joint or a watering hole MOC.

Now that's a thorough review: each brick in the set got its individual grade! :laugh:

Edited by paksu

Note that this brick was kind of glued to the back of the paper holder. I had to remove a slimy paste before I was able to handle it. :hmpf_bad:

pict0013.jpg

Same here, same here.... But otherwise the brick had been at large through the entire box damaging not only itself but also the other contents... :wink:

I am happy with my copy (1753) and have already registered it on the site.

Thanks for both reviews!

Mine ended up costing £42.18 including the S&H. I paid in Euros so the cost will probably be a bit different now depending on exchange rates.

I got mine today. And looking on the underside of that 1x8 LEGO fan/ANNO 1958 brick it looks just like the old bricks I have since childhood. On the new 1x8 bricks the "pins" (or whatever they are called) are hollow. So I'm kind of guessing that "ANNO 1958" means that the brick is produced using an older method/mold or are old bricks. Or it's just my brick that is messed up during the mold.

A question to anybody who ordered the Premium Edition, how long did it take for your copy to arrive from the day that you ordered? I ordered my copy over two weeks ago and still no sign of the book. Getting a little concerned.

A question to anybody who ordered the Premium Edition, how long did it take for your copy to arrive from the day that you ordered? I ordered my copy over two weeks ago and still no sign of the book. Getting a little concerned.

It took exactly a week from order to arrival.

You can't buy the book on S@H as it's not made by LEGO themselves. It's made by a German publisher, fantasiaverlag, that seems to specialize in collector catalogues like this. Here's a link to were you can order the book.

/Johan

Then tell me why this is available on S@H and the premium version isn't.

Bluebeard, out-

Edited by Capt. Bluebeard

Then tell me why this is available on S@H and the premium version isn't.

Bluebeard, out-

Ohg I guess I was wrong about that then. But AFAIK the Premium edition can only be bought directly from Fantasiaverlag.

Just thought I’d point out that the premium edition is for sale at Bluewater though they only have two left. 29.99 which is cheaper than importing and you get loyalty stamps.

Got them yesterday. Looks really good. My numbers are:

Registred at this site.

CopMike

Got them yesterday. Looks really good. My numbers are:

Registred at this site.

CopMike

:oh: :oh:

You got four? Wow!!!