darkrebellion

Vader's Red Helmet

gallery_101_23_908.jpg

Hi, I am looking around the web to catch how many unique items the TLC have done in the SW theme and then I stop looking at some comments about a Vader red helmet supposdly official. So the question is, is this real or something someone done and just upload in brickshelf and if this is real where it is auctioned, ebay or simply a contest :wacko: ?

Edited by KimT
title changed

Hi, I am looking around the web to catch how many unique items the TLC have done in the SW theme and then I stop looking at some comments about a Vader red helmet supposdly official. So the question is, is this real or something someone done and just upload in brickshelf and if this is real where it is auctioned, ebay or simply a contest :wacko: ?

I think it's a test mold colour.

When TLG tests their molds they tend to do it with a colour not used later. Hence the red Vader helmet, black ghost, trans clear ghost and so forth. You can get a red helmet for 30USD+ on bricklink.

Now that could be a nice addition to my collection :oh: , thanks KimT for the info. :thumbup: . The problem now is how I can know its authenticity :wacko: ?

I think it's a test mold colour.

When TLG tests their molds they tend to do it with a colour not used later. Hence the red Vader helmet, black ghost, trans clear ghost and so forth. You can get a red helmet for 30USD+ on bricklink.

All the ones for $30 seem to have mysteriously disappeared. :blush: But there are still more starting at 40!

Wow, even though it's neat and rare 30 bucks is crazy. :wacko: It would be much cheaper to just paint one of the black ones. Still, it's a neat find.

There´s only been one first hand batch that is known, it was somewhere around 60-80 pieces and from only one seller, they went for $2.50 originaly.

CopMike

Now that could be a nice addition to my collection :oh: , thanks KimT for the info. :thumbup: . The problem now is how I can know its authenticity :wacko: ?

Buy one and compare it to your black version. And people selling on bricklink rarely cheat. Not that I've experienced anyway.

There´s only been one first hand batch that is known, it was somewhere around 60-80 pieces and from only one seller, they went for $2.50 originaly.

CopMike

Well then, I hope the five I just bought are originally from that one seller. I have purchased them for a good cause so they better be authentic :hmpf_bad:

I mean although it's red who would really want one? What are you going to use it for anyway if you bought one? No offense meant Hinckley seeming as you just bought a load.

Edited by Skipper 24

I mean although it's red who would really want one? What are you going to use it for anyway if you bought one? No offense meant Hinckley seeming as you just bought a load.

I think this are just for collector purpose :wink: . Many people buy things like this just for display them and because them are nice additions to the collections :thumbup: . Another collector purpose items could be the duplo blocks given during special events :cry_happy: .

I got a Christmas card this last Christmas and it had Santa Vader featuring a red Vader helmet.

Now there's a use for it :wub:

Now what is Hinckley up to with all those new helmets? :oh3:

What are you going to use it for anyway if you bought one?

Just to feel cool. :cry_sad:

I got a Christmas card this last Christmas and it had Santa Vader featuring a red Vader helmet.

Now there's a use for it :wub:

Hmm...got a similar one. :wub:

Christmas card :devil:?

post-148-1218311565.jpg

CopMike

Ahh yes, that's the one.

I was about to take a pic of it. I have it right here at my desk with the "Andy Warhol Stormtrooper" card.

No need now - thanks CopMike

Hey guys...

Well, from what I know, there was a far deeper reason lego made these.

When star wars was first being made and filmed, Vader was originaly in a red suit :sceptic: , but lucas/lucasfilm, desided black was more evil, and mystroius.So they changed him to black.But lego had already made the mold and started making red vader helmets.But were very soon notified of the change.Somehow somone got hold of the very few made, and is asking HEAPS of $ for them

Hope this clears some stuff up

Sheesh, I can't beleive I beleived this.. and even worse I passed the info on to others (I swear, I didn't make it up :laugh: ). Sorry folks, nothing to see here, exept some total crap :grin:

Edited by Legoman

Hey guys...

Well, from what i know, there was a far deeper reason lego made these.

When star wars was first being made and filmed, Vader was originaly in a red suit :sceptic: , but lucas/lucasfilm, desided black was more evil, and mystroius.So they changed him to black.But lego had already made the mold and started making red vader helmets.But were very soon notified of the change.Somehow somone got hold of the very few made, and is asking HEAPS of $ for them

Hope this clears some stuff up

I doubt it since the Star Wars movies began in 1976 which is some 20 years before LEGO got the license. A great story though, but not real. Sorry

Legoman, Star Wars came out in 1977. LEGO got the Star Wars license during all of the Episode One hype in 1999, twenty two years later. The red helmets are just mold tests.

Edit: Aw, KimT beat me to the punch.

Edited by filefolders

I bought mine before the prices got silly. I'll admit, it seemed like a better concept than reality, but I still like it. I've had an idea for a moc involving it for ages but haven't gotten to it. :sceptic:

I didn't get a Santa Vader card. :cry_sad:

Here you go:

EB_julkort_sista_small.jpg

I think these went out before you were born :wink:

I think these went out before you were born :wink:

Aw, a Santa Vader and his very own Red Ghost Elf, just for me! :wub:

Thanks! :wink:

The red helmets are just mold tests.

I've heard a somewhat less innocent explanation for the differently-colored "official" pieces: the story as it was told to me involved a TLC employee who had a habit of sticking around the factory after hours, injecting molds with colors that pieces aren't usually found in and then sneaking the parts out to sell on his own. Apparently this went on for awhile until the individual was caught, but with the volume of parts that was produced, they still float around the secondary market. The "mold test" cover story, I'm told, was developed to spare the company embarrassment.

Mold tests? Under the table entrepreneurship? Only the Shadow knows, and Alec Baldwin isn't telling unless he gets full custody.

badger

The sneaking around using machines after hours sounds like something I'd do if I had the opportunity. Then again, I wouldn't spend time making random colored Vader helmets. I'd be making batches of bricks in colors and sizes that aren't normally available, say for instance 1x10 dark red/blue/green.

In either case, having one of these would be cool but the price is prohibitive. For that kind of cash I'd rather buy an entire set or pile of pieces for a MOC. :classic:

I've heard a somewhat less innocent explanation for the differently-colored "official" pieces: the story as it was told to me involved a TLC employee who had a habit of sticking around the factory after hours, injecting molds with colors that pieces aren't usually found in and then sneaking the parts out to sell on his own. Apparently this went on for awhile until the individual was caught, but with the volume of parts that was produced, they still float around the secondary market. The "mold test" cover story, I'm told, was developed to spare the company embarrassment.

Mold tests? Under the table entrepreneurship? Only the Shadow knows, and Alec Baldwin isn't telling unless he gets full custody.

badger

Except for the fact that the machines never stop.

So that is doubtful if anything.

Mold testing it is - that and when starting up a machine after a mold change they usually use a different colour than intended. That makes the "start up" pieces easy to find and get rid of.

Not to mention we know they have sent out clear elements to Ambassadors to get opinions on new molds. Like the skeleton horses...

Not to mention we know they have sent out clear elements to Ambassadors to get opinions on new molds. Like the skeleton horses...

Must have...trans-clear skeleton horse...must have... :wub: