Sign in to follow this  
WesternOutlaw

End of 9-Volt Train System?

I've been reading some discussion on one of the train sites and hearing rumors that the new R/C train system may replace 9V motors and track. I surely hope this is only speculation and rumor.

Part of the concern was caused recently by Lego re-numbering the 9V train motor from 5300 to 10153 and offering 5300 at half price as a U.S. SAH phone special. This made some train enthusiasts believe that Lego is phasing-out 9V trains. Although it does appear that 10153 is available, a new R/C train line does invite some questions about the future of the 9V theme.

Will a new R/C train utilize a battery powered motor similar to Playmobil's R/C train? If so, there will be no need for electric track which is far more expensive for both Lego to make and for train collectors to buy. This would render existing motors, transformers, and lights useless, in addition to miles of electric grey and bley train track.

Also, with new track, Lego could change the scale as a completely new system. I would hate to see all my trains used merely for parts or resting along a dusty branch next to a new <insert that tiresome argument> high-speed bullet train.

I surely hope that Lego will continue the 9V train theme if they truly plan to develop an R/C system. Compatibility will be the key, but it wouldn't be a bad idea to purchase some 9V track and a few extra motors before one has to buy it off EBay.

If the new track is compatible with the old track, then the only things that'll go out of service are the motors and the electric stuff, right? I understand how that may upset some train buffs, but is it really a huge deal?

If the new track is compatible with the old track, then the only things that'll go out of service are the motors and the electric stuff, right?

If the new track is compatible with the old track, then the only things that'll go out of service are the motors and the electric stuff, right? I understand how that may upset some train buffs, but is it really a huge deal?

Since this was the most expensive part on trains, yes

If the new track is compatible with the old track, then the only things that'll go out of service are the motors and the electric stuff, right?  I understand how that may upset some train buffs, but is it really a huge deal?

Since this was the most expensive part on trains, yes

Well, the track is the most important bit to preserve, since all the train buffs bought that in great amounts (even I have a good amount of it). And I don't think LEGO has offered the electric accessories like switchers or lights for years now, so that's not a huge loss. And that wasn't that expensive, was it? Maybe like $10 for lighting or $20 for the switchers. So really, maybe $100 in loss total for the average train collector, if you count incompatibility as loss.

No, most LEGO train collectors have at least $200-300 dollars invested in a nice setup. Some train clubs have over $10,000 invested in some nice setups. People were very upset when LEGO switched from 12v to 9v but there wasn't much 12v in the first place. 9v has been the standard for years now. I don't think LEGO would be stupid enough to alienate half of the AFOL population with a move to battery only. It would make the color change ordeal look like a high school fight compared to an all out gang war. Not pretty.

No, most LEGO train collectors have at least $200-300 dollars invested in a nice setup. Some train clubs have over $10,000 invested in some nice setups.

I agree with you completely and consider this a "huge deal" if the new system is not compatible. With new track, I also wonder if existing wheel sets will be compatible with the new track. Train collectors, including myself, will be outraged if this is not the case. A single average train set is over $100. Most of us have numerous sets, engines, transformers, and track. I'd put that amount more in the area of $500-$1,000+ for the average train collector.

I'm just working under the assumption that the new track will be compatible physically. I mean, then, the only loss would be the electric paraphernalia, like the motor and lights and stuff, nothing else.

The move to Digital Command Control (DCC) would mean that the electric track would stay (the signals are sent through the track: read link), but each motor would have to have a microchip in it. I find it unlikely that lego will sell lone chips to install in exsisting motors - they will most likely expect you to buy brand new motors with chips installed!

You would also have to buy the equilvilent of a control console for each motor. Think back to the 12V system of chained controls linked to the track. You would buy three controls for three motors (each of the signals sent to one motor) and plug them together into a control board. You could then control each motor individually!

Have a read of this: DCC Control

Same feeling I got when they introduced the 9 V system at the beginning of the 90s.

TLC should have kept with 12 V anyways ;)

So I get back and all of the sudden everything's upside down? End of the 9-V era? Well, it was bound to happen sometimes. I wasn't hoping it would be replaced with a RC trains. LEGO better know what they're doing. They're tampering with very hot, liquid magma here.

Both systems will co-exist (tracks are compatible). The new system is supposed to lure new customers to the train system.

I saw an R/C-Train from playmobil in a store the other day. Is that what the new LEGO train's supposed to work like?

If so, I just hope the remote control isn't IR since IR has been mentioned in this context. I don't want to run around pointing at the locomotive all the time and when it goes thru a tunnel it's stuck...