9 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

• 1 - Poor
    • 2 - Below Average
    • 3 - Average
    • 4 - Above Average
    • 5 - Outstanding

Hello all Eurobricks members and Town Lovers,

Today, I will be doing up the first item in the SHELL Promotional series in 1998. Three out of the eight promotional sets are under Town theme. The first in the line is the Formula One "Race Car". This is a very small set, which is equivalent to the current Impulse set series which was released in the early 2008. This Race Car is the remnants of the vintage design of the typcial race cars in the 1980s. Can this beauty outmatch Formula One? :wink:

Name: Formula 1 Racing Car

Theme: LEGO System / Town / Promotional / SHELL

Year: 1998

Pieces: 29

Minifigs: 1

Price: USD$2.00

An image of a 2535, Formula 1 Racing Car

1.jpg

Let the race begins!

2.jpg

This is a mini-replica of a "Go-cart" vehicle, that circle around in the racing tracks. In fact, most of the race vehicles used this design for its "Grand Prix", dating as early as 1980. You can combine a wide array of race cars and placed it together on the roads, as many as eight to twelve such race cars. It won't even clog the roads, unlike Speed Racer sets. :laugh:

With its sleek red facade on the front, I am sure he is determined to out win the rest of the drivers.

Simple engine

5.jpg

6.jpg

These are the engines that fuel its horsepower at the rear. The rear "wings" is able to tlit upwards and downwards slightly.

Being Number "1"

4.jpg

The printed tiles is the best parts in this Impulse set. First of all, this is a printed piece. Secondly, it's to tell us that this driver is leading the way with its number "1" car-sign. Maybe, that's the reason why his torso has stars on its gear. The driver sure looks cool and confident with its black shade and red helmet including black visor. :wink:

See you next time!

7.jpg

Vroooom!!!

3.jpg

Summary review

Playability: 7.0/10 (Not much playability involved, except adding it to your race cars collection)

Design: 7.5/10 (Very very simple design. For a promo/impulse set, it's reasonably good)

Price: 9.5/10 (A very inexpensive set based on the 1998 pricing. Great way to buy a cool red race car)

Overall: 8/10 (This vehicle is a "nice to have" kind of vehicle. If you are interested in racing or go cart, this is the set for you.)

I gave it a "3" based on my Review Score Card. :wink: What about yours?

Hope everyone of you enjoyed reading this simple review of mine. Comments and Critics are strongly welcomed.

Pictures can be found in My Brickshelf (When moderated)

thanks for the review! about the minifig torso: I never saw that decal (the two stars) before, does it appear in other sets too?

thanks for the review! about the minifig torso: I never saw that decal (the two stars) before, does it appear in other sets too?

Bernd, thanks for showing your support and interest on this Classic Town reviews so far. :blush:

The decal of his jacket with the two stars, has been seen in 4 sets including this.

The rest of it are 6337 Fast Track Finish, 6334 Wave Jump Racers and 1189 Rocket Boat which is available from 1996 to 1999. Hope this info helps. :wink:

thanks for the review, nice little car! I love the minifig, and his cool demeanor. For me, the car isn't really anything special, just a run-of-the-mill cart. I'd give it a 3/5 as well :thumbup:

Nice set for the price range, If you had the race set from Lego this would have made a nice addition, I do remember seeing these sets at my local shell but was never impulsed to buy one or two of them.......Another missed opportunity.

White fang you and Brickster are really helping to point out to the younger AFOL's that Lego has and probably always will have great idea's (Some catch on some don't) and very playable sets and great parts for our MOC's

Thanks Guys.