El Bucanero

Pirate MOC Indices Discussion

Lets say we divide the MOCs like this:

- Military

- Non-Military

- Islands

- Vignettes/dioramas

- Small accessories (canons and stuff like that).

Where would we put a harbor that has some civilian buildings and a fortess?

Maybe it's best to add a separate category for harbors to solve this problem?

You're doing a great job Bonaparte! I should expect your work will be noticed by other Administrators.

One thing though... Is Comic Sans the best font for your indexes? I've got a resolution of 1680 x 1050 and I find it a little difficult to read at the font size you're using.

You're doing a great job Bonaparte! I should expect your work will be noticed by other Administrators.

Thanks Mr. Phes!

One thing though... Is Comic Sans the best font for your indexes? I've got a resolution of 1680 x 1050 and I find it a little difficult to read at the font size you're using.

I'm using the Comic Sans font for the tutorial-part, but my screen is only at 1280x1024.

I suggest you adjust it in the 2 index-threads to a font and/or size that looks good on your screen.

Lets say we divide the MOCs like this:

- Military

- Non-Military

- Islands

- Vignettes/dioramas

Where would we put a harbor that has some civilian buildings and a fortess?

Maybe it's best to add a separate category for harbors to solve this problem?

Looks good. I agree it would be best to have a seperate category for harbours, unless it's a 90 % military harbour...

I can't agree more!

That means there have to be two thumbnails a MOC, doesn't sound like a good idea to me...

I don't recall saying there would be two thumbnails... I said a link... bonepart number the MOCS in the landbased mocs, numbers can be links as easily as thumbs can. Like I said, I would imagine it would be a lot... or maybe even too much work, it was just an idea because some people maybe Lego savvy without being computer savvy!. I do think the tutorial is a good idea, but I wonder if it is too hard for some users... I mean it isn't daunting and is well explained, but some people just probably won't be able to follow.

I suggest you adjust it in the 2 index-threads to a font and/or size that looks good on your screen.

Or the other option is to change it to Arial which displays fine at this resolution. Depends upon how keen you are to keep Comic Sans.

I don't recall saying there would be two thumbnails... I said a link... bonepart number the MOCS in the landbased mocs, numbers can be links as easily as thumbs can. Like I said, I would imagine it would be a lot... or maybe even too much work, it was just an idea because some people maybe Lego savvy without being computer savvy!. I do think the tutorial is a good idea, but I wonder if it is too hard for some users... I mean it isn't daunting and is well explained, but some people just probably won't be able to follow.

I was planning to have the numbers removed once the MOCs are classified. They are only added to make it easier to get things organized. You might be right that some people are not able to use the search function. But probably those people won't understand the concept of the 2 links. Problem then still remains that several MOCs are in multiple discussion-threads. If there is really a big need for something like this, I will investigate once the classification is finished.

Or the other option is to change it to Arial which displays fine at this resolution. Depends upon how keen you are to keep Comic Sans.

I'm not really keep on the Comic Sans. I was just using it to make it clear that the tutorial was a separate part.

I have changed it to Arial for the moment. Is there another font that would look good and is readable at high resolutions?

Arial is just fine. Generally Sans Serif Fonts are easier to read at any resolution wheras Script Fonts tend to look chunky or distorted at the higher resolutions when a smaller font size is used. I think what you've got now is just fine.

Another thing... Is there any particular order or grouping you're listing these MOCs in?

Another thing... Is there any particular order or grouping you're listing these MOCs in?

Since the index is still under construction, I have not yet categorized the MOCs.

The current numbering is reflecting the order in which I search the forum.

So at this moment there is no rationale behind the order.

As a result of some discussing in this thread, I'm thinking of using following categories:

- Military

- Non-Military

- Islands

- Harbors

- Vignettes/dioramas

The first 2 categories can handle everything that's not covered by the rest.

Any suggestions?

I have categorized the MOCs. I still didn't remove the numbers because maybe someone thinks a MOC is not in the right place (so I is the easiest to let me know which number should be moved to where). Of course there can be some discussion for certain MOCs, but I tried to be as consistent as possible.

I think number 34 belongs to the harbours section...

You do? It's a town near the sea with a beach and cliffs. But I see no harbor here.

Why would you put it in the harbor section Mr. Tiber? Because of the pier?

You do? It's a town near the sea with a beach and cliffs. But I see no harbor here.

Why would you put it in the harbor section Mr. Tiber? Because of the pier?

Well, If it has a pier, it is a port(I guess) and I believe a port is a harbour...

Well, If it has a pier, it is a port(I guess) and I believe a port is a harbour...

If I use the wikipedia definition, you are right: A port is a facility for receiving ships and transferring cargo to and from them.

The pier can be seen as the "facility".

I have moved it to the harbor section.

I have started indexing all the cannon designs into the accessories section.

Soon I will remove the numbers in front of the thumbs and remove the "work in progress" status.

The numbers in front of the MOCs (that I used for sorting them) are removed as is the "work in progress" status.

So from now on the index only requires updates and some maintenance.

The numbers in front of the MOCs (that I used for sorting them) are removed as is the "work in progress" status.

So from now on the index only requires updates and some maintenance.

Well, you haven't removed the Acheron yet... It's still a WIP.

Well, you haven't removed the Acheron yet... It's still a WIP.

I know, but I'm looking a lot at the pictures when I'm building the Excalibur.

And it is a convenient way to find the link to your BS-library.

But if you really want it to be removed then I will do so.

BTW, this is the discussion thread for the "land based MOCs".

Now I have have to bother the pirate moderator again to move this :-D :-D :-D

I know, but I'm looking a lot at the pictures when I'm building the Excalibur.

And it is a convenient way to find the link to your BS-library.

But if you really want it to be removed then I will do so.

BTW, this is the discussion thread for the "land based MOCs".

Now I have have to bother the pirate moderator again to move this :-D :-D :-D

It is?? Oh... aargh! I shall move my stupidnes right away :-$

It is?? Oh... aargh! I shall move my stupidnes right away :-$

No problem Lord Moderator!

You still didn't tell me if you are insisting that I remove the Archeron.

No problem Lord Moderator!

You still didn't tell me if you are insisting that I remove the Archeron.

Well, I don't really care, but you wrote this in the index:

Here's my attempt of indexing all the (finished) ships in the Pirate MOC forum.

And the Acheron is not finished yet. I let you decide wether it stays or will be removed from the index.

Well, I don't really care, but you wrote this in the index:

And the Acheron is not finished yet. I let you decide wether it stays or will be removed from the index.

In that case I will make an exception on that rule for the Acheron!

I hope you are still going to finish it since you have started to build a new ship.

In that case I will make an exception on that rule for the Acheron!

I hope you are still going to finish it since you have started to build a new ship.

Yes, I will finish it for sure ;-) .

*A link to the Index: MOC Cannons Thread*

Please click on the above link to view the cannon index.

Also, if you'd like to contribute to the index or comment on cannons in the index,

post in this discussion thread please.

[Edit by Phred: Added the above text to this post]

Very nice Mr. Phred, you started an Index for Custom Cannons.

Does this mean that I better remove the cannons/cannonades in the "Index:Land Based MOCs" because we are having a specific Index for them? In this case I will wait until Mr. P. has completed the new index.

A general remark/question: Is it a good idea to have many pinned topics? I was considering a merge of the Index: MOC ships and Index: Land based MOCs to limit the number of pinned topics. For users that are already a long time on EB, it is no problem to find the MOCs, but for new users this gets more difficult since the MOCs are already 1 level deeper and depending on the resolution of your screen, you have to scroll down first before you see the actual discussion topics. Is there a general strategy on this Mr. Phes/Tiber? Basically (and don't that this negative please!) I think the overall structure of the Pirate forum is very bad and a real nightmare for new users! This might also be one of the reasons why not many users from the other EB-forums post here. We pirates also have a look at the other forum (at least I do), but I don't see many (except Norro) fellows, other members commenting anymore in the pirate MOC forum. By not having a clear structure, the pirate forum is isolation itself!

This would be my proposal to bring a good structure:

The first level gives only an overview of the different forums and doesn't contain any actual posts:

- (General) Pirate forum

- Pirate MOC forum: Here are all the MOCs and 1 extra forum: Pirate MOC index forum (containing the indexes, torso library,...)

- The Great Library of Honduras

- Pirate LEGO Signature & Avatar Workshop

- Governor Broadside's Administration Building

In order not to have an off-topic discussion here, I started a separate topic: The structure of the Lego pirates forum.

Another index... Well not bad! But what about the accesoires? I think it would be better if this was the index for accesoires instead of only the cannons. I believe there aren't that much accesoires left so a new index for those would be idiot... IMO

Although, maybe it is better to keep the custom cannons in the land based moc Index, because that would reduce the number of pinned topic, and having less pinned topics isn't such a bad idea...