Bonaparte

==> ALL MEMBERS: Please read! <==

Also I think we need to stay more on topic in the Star Wars threads, recently we have been going off a little to much but maybe I'm wrong (probably).

That's right. But this is already part of the general EBs guidelines.

However, I'll add it to the first post to make sure nobody forgets.

Parce que l'anglais est la langue utilisée ici. :laugh:

:skull:

Alors pourquoi pas un forum francophone dans la section "Eurobricks community" ? :thumbup:

This place is becoming more and more like FBTB every day! ;)

There was a similar outcry at rules like this when they were implemented over there. Just seems a bit OTT to me, but hey, I don't run the place - if the Mods want to create more work for themselves then that's their perogative.

I shall comply ... but then, I usually construct my sentences properly anyway. Plus I can't abide text speak on forums ... computers have full keyboards for a reason!

what dy meen is tht ppl shoulnt rite badly.

Because when you write like this, it is much easyer to read. Typos are not the enemy, bad grammar is. For some people it may be difficult to write good english, but it doesnt prevent them from using fullstops, commas and capital letters at the start of sentences,

Stauder.

This place is becoming more and more like FBTB every day! ;)

Like I mentioned before, other communities are none of my concern!

Eurobricks is an AFOL website and all members should post in a mature way. These rules are not new as they exist for a long time. While registering you are agreeing with them :wink:

This will be impossible to enforce without utterly destroying the casual feel to EB. I assume extenuating circumstances will be taken into account- there's no point of adding another three sentences to your post when the point can be made with just one.

I think it might be easier for you just to say less SPAM (stupid pointless annoying messages), which will get rid of posts like "OMG... only 2 cones??????????? WTF lego?????? kthnx bai" without making members add useless run-on sentences just to avoid breaking the rules.

This will be impossible to enforce without utterly destroying the casual feel to EB. I assume extenuating circumstances will be taken into account- there's no point of adding another three sentences to your post when the point can be made with just one.

I think it might be easier for you just to say less SPAM (stupid pointless annoying messages), which will get rid of posts like "OMG... only 2 cones??????????? WTF lego?????? kthnx bai" without making members add useless run-on sentences just to avoid breaking the rules.

I can assure you that our staff is not enforcing any rules blindly. We always check the entire posting history of a member before taking any action. So posting a short message from time to time is no problem if that's not all you are doing.

Bonaparte, I support this move.

Looking through this topic, you have certainly enforced well enough for Eurobricks to be the community, where proper posting should be considered at all time. I am sure all of us have a basic understanding, certain degree of elementary English. For some countries, English may not be the first language. Let me point out, Eurobricks is not penalizing for your language ability. In fact, Eurobricks reinforce good, causal, simple to understand English in all posts. It can be a few simple sentences. It is alright.

If Grammar and punctuations is not adhere, and posting your comments such as Internet chat box, it will annoy the readers, trying to understand what you are trying to type. Why not spend a little bit more effort and type proper English, especially when you are English illiterate? It's never easy to read through unstructured English sentences and will annoy greatly. There are many members whom are keen to find out certain posts or reading some pointers and views.

I really hope all of us in Eurobricks, to start posting in proper English structure for easier reading.

One sentence of a causal remark, does not contribute to the overall perception on the topic discussion. I am sure there is something more to what you can type instead of a single sentence. Typing a few sentences more or construct it in proper sentence, do not kill casual feeling in Eurobricks. I am sure the creator of the topic, will love to see constructive comments, views, critics, opnions and points. Aren't this a purpose of posting a topic for discussion?

If everyone just type a single generic term such as "Cool", "Well done", "Awesome creation". Yes, this are still good comments, but please take note, anyone can just type this and what meaning does it hold? Many will think, especially the creator will defintely wish to probe why you think it is cool, in what way is it well done and what features make you think it is awesome?

I am just speaking my mind, and letting you guys how I feel. Thanks.

WhiteFang

Alors pourquoi pas un forum francophone dans la section "Eurobricks community" ? :thumbup:

Je ne sais pas, mais c'est la vie: injuste pour les francophones pour les temps generales.

:classic:

On a more topic related note, I will try and improve the length of my posts to include more feedback.

Edited by Lt. Col. Thok

Like I mentioned before, other communities are none of my concern!

Eurobricks is an AFOL website and all members should post in a mature way. These rules are not new as they exist for a long time. While registering you are agreeing with them :wink:

If I may, I think he means that Eurobricks is becoming more strict, and drifting away from the reason why it was created: so LEGO fans could have a forum where it wasn't as strict, like FBTB is. I'm not saying anything to argue against the staff and it's decisions, this is just a point of view.

If I may, I think he means that Eurobricks is becoming more strict, and drifting away from the reason why it was created: so LEGO fans could have a forum where it wasn't as strict, like FBTB is. I'm not saying anything to argue against the staff and it's decisions, this is just a point of view.

In a way it is becoming more strict, but only in the "this should be common sense" area. When you think about it, the free spirit that was the general ideal of Eurobricks is still very alive and well (and if you need proof of that check the mafia topic ^.^), however at the same time in the rules it is explicitly stated that this community is only for those mature enough to take part in it. I understand why it feels like it's more strict, and by the definition it is, but it's really only an extension of a rule that already existed, isn't it?

(Yes, I'm not Bonaparte or any other admin - I just read the post and had something to reply with, sorry.)

That being said, I fully support the new rules. I personally don't even use chatspeak in an instant messaging session; in a forum, where there is more time to check what you have down and a much more lenient word limit, chatspeak should have no home! Abbreviations, sure - otherwise we'd have to make posts about how much adult fans of lego hate big ugly rock pieces put on top of crummy ramp and pit plates. But still, if your only post in the thread is just one word and a mess of useless abbreviations, it's very annoying to read.

~Trexxen

Your are forgetting 1 important word in there!

....the reason why it was created: so Adult Fans of Lego (AFOL's) LEGO fans could have a forum where it wasn't as strict....

The staff allowing members under the age limit should be seen as a privilege granted to individual members. The least we expect in return is for these privileged members to follow some common sense rules, most of which we wouldn't even need if we only allowed adults. So they should follow these rules or they will lose the privilege of their membership.

... but it's really only an extension of a rule that already existed, isn't it?

These rules are not new, but lately (and especially in the SW forum) they were not followed anymore by all members. We don't want EBs to become a kids forum, else the real AFOL's will leave.

Here's a suggestion, since you've highlighted the fact that this place is meant for adults, why don't you only allow adults to join ? :P

And yes, my post has been interpreted correctly by JimButcher. FBTB has gone down hill since the draconian measures and greater mod interference was brought in. This forum was different but with these new guidelines, it will become less so. If you guys start filtering out terms like "lol" with nonesensical and very long sentences about AIM or whatever the hell they replace it with on FBTB then that will be even worse ... please don't do this!!

Still, as I said ... I'm ok with using proper grammar as I do anyway. To me, this new guideline just seems over the top and I suspect the mods will find that they both become more alienated and resented and also overworked. If that's what floats their boats, however, then so be it.

If you guys start filtering out terms like "lol" with nonesensical and very long sentences about AIM or whatever the hell they replace it with on FBTB then that will be even worse ... please don't do this!!

Did I ever say we would start doing extra word filtering? I remember that a few pages back I said exactly the opposite :wink:

Once again, you choose to reply to a flippant part of my post rather than the more important bits. :hmpf_bad:

Haven't you only got yourself to blame at having a non adult standard forum by letting non adults post ?

First you guys oust some long standing members and now this ... so what next ?! Excuse me for not believing that further measures aren't just around the corner.

Edited by Big Pete

Your are forgetting 1 important word in there!

....the reason why it was created: so Adult Fans of Lego (AFOL's) LEGO fans could have a forum where it wasn't as strict....

The staff allowing members under the age limit should be seen as a privilege granted to individual members. The least we expect in return is for these privileged members to follow some common sense rules, most of which we wouldn't even need if we only allowed adults. So they should follow these rules or they will lose the privilege of their membership.

These rules are not new, but lately (and especially in the SW forum) they were not followed anymore by all members. We don't want EBs to become a kids forum, else the real AFOL's will leave.

Yes, I agree completely, if it's an adult website (by that I mean in a clean way), people of all ages should act like one.

Your first word in that post: It's "you're" instead of "your" in this case :tongue::wink:

Edited by JimButcher

I'm fairly new here, but I'd like to say that I really like the EB ideas of a forum that is geared toward adults. I apprecate this place where irrevernt, and sometimes off color humor (sex in Belleville...) sits side by side with great MOCs and real depth of content. I personally despise "1337 speak" and AIM shorthand when used outside of their appropriate venues, and am very glad to see that the MODs are taking steps to see that the form of the posts reflects the intended "Adult" audience.

EB is definately casual, but casual need not, and should not, be equated with sloppy.

Lastly, I don't mind underage users, but I'm very much in favor of correcting them when thier age becomes apparent in their postings. That however is a matter for Mods.

Once again, you choose to reply to a flippant part of my post rather than the more important bits. :hmpf_bad:

Haven't you only got yourself to blame at having a non adult standard forum by letting non adults post ?

We have always allowed mature members under the age limit of 18 years. And there is no way you can check the real age of members on the Internet.

First you guys oust some long standing members and now this ... so what next ?! Excuse me for not believing that further measures aren't just around the corner.

I don't like the tone in your post at all Big Pete :hmpf_bad:

Feel free to leave if you don't like how we are running this community.

The way i see it is we need some stricter appliance of existing rules not to clutter the boards with crap guys.

So let's all be friendly, make nice topics and think before we reply :wink:

We have always allowed mature members under the age limit of 18 years. And there is no way you can check the real age of members on the Internet.

I know that there's no real way to check people ages ... but then there's no way to test someone's maturity either :P Nor will age mean more maturity in some cases.

I just don't see how you think you'll get a more mature forum by enforcing people to use the shift key or by adding the correct punctuation to a post or by writing at least a certain number of sentences in a reply? If anything, you're just going to get a load of mini-mods correcting other people all the time and people will resent the mods for banning people for minor reasons.

I don't like the tone in your post at all Big Pete :hmpf_bad:

Feel free to leave if you don't like how we are running this community.

I was fully expecting a reply like this ... how dare I question what you've decided, eh ? Maybe you'll ban me too ?

Am I not allowed to put across a different opinion on this board now ?

I don't expect you to change the rules drastically, but I was hoping you might see that what you're proposing here is a little draconian and it may harm the forum more than benefit it.

Anyway, enough from me on this subject ... I'm getting bored.

I think this thread went from News Announcement to The Banhammer throwing olympics...

I think closing it would be a good idea... :wacko: But then again, what do I know.

Stauder.

Edited by Stauder

I know that there's no real way to check people ages ... but then there's no way to test someone's maturity either :P Nor will age mean more maturity in some cases.

I just don't see how you think you'll get a more mature forum by enforcing people to use the shift key or by adding the correct punctuation to a post or by writing at least a certain number of sentences in a reply? If anything, you're just going to get a load of mini-mods correcting other people all the time and people will resent the mods for banning people for minor reasons.

I was fully expecting a reply like this ... how dare I question what you've decided, eh ? Maybe you'll ban me too ?

I don't expect you to change the rules drastically, but I was hoping you might see that what you're proposing here is a little draconian and it may harm the forum more than benefit it.

I think this thread went from News Announcement to The Banhammer ™ throwing olympics...

I think closing it would be a good idea... :wacko:

Guys you are both good members, don't feel as this implies to you.

There are no new rules made, just some extra ''guidelines'' and as far as i know, nobody got banned for nothing over night.

I thank you for voicing your opinion on this matter and from pointing out possible flaws in this system. Your opinion is most certainly noted!

I think closing it would be a good idea... :wacko:

No need for doing that.

Hey, everyone.

You all know me as TrooperDavinFelth.

So I'd like to say this one thing:

I haven't read the middle pages; only half of the posts on the last page and the first page. I saw a post where someone said something about EB becoming strict like FBTB. EB is not becoming strict like FBTB.

FBTB praises noobs. They rarely yell at people who have relatively crappy grammar. The only way they are strict is in their ridiculously childish Hide the Brick(a.k.a. Reespeck the Brick; I dare not say that word as it is NOT respect. :tongue: ).

The rules Bonaparte is making for ya'll are for the best. They are for keeping a mature sanity in this forum. Mature: Keeping good grammar and not saying childish things. Sanity: Not being retarded and spamming(like the only offense on FBTB; actually I don't even think it's an offense. :tongue: ).

Folks, listen to your admins and you will like what will happen to this forum. The only way it WON'T happen is if people DON'T listen to the admins.

We need to work together to create a community where everyone can understand each other's posts.

I mean, if he's going to ban you for doing something, don't do it, for pete's sake! :sceptic:

I try my best to be a good member here. I always try to keep my grammar intact, but I do make mistakes. Sometimes.

Stauder, in the first page, where you said how 'simple typos shouldn't be an offense', well, they aren't. It's downright BAD GRAMMAR that is an offense. Bonaparte has laid this out for you VERY clearly.

And now, to end my tome with a SW quote:

You can either profit by this, or be destroyed.

:sweet: