Recommended Posts

84 posts

Steve's Doom

[ENG] I've previously described Steve's miserable fate as a castaway who settled into a deserted outpost (Steve's Hideout). This MOC shows him heroically fighting off his attacker. 

[HUN] Korábban már leírtam Steve hányatatott sorsát, ahogy hajótöröttként berendezkedett egy elhagyatott kis helyőrségben (Steve's Hideout). Ez a MOC azt mutatja meg ahogy hősiesen küzdött a támadója ellen.

53817449699_019802d34b_b.jpg53817450634_910533118c_b.jpg53817118841_5d19415c74_b.jpg53817118856_1b801bb79e_b.jpg53816190362_5d19415c74_b.jpg53817450639_f274baf386_b.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5385 posts

Lovely frame, the water and island look quite pretty too against the brown and gold you've got going on there!  In general the ship is quite nice as well (those brown bars for rigging at this scale are great!), but I think it's a bit too chaotic for the eye to capture what's happening :pir-grin:  Going a bit simpler, maybe less colors (I know the red and white sails and the black in the hull are obvious Classic Pirate references, but if you were to make the sails all white, the lower hull and masts all brown (or dark brown :pir-wub:) except the cannons, and keep the black, yellow and red for a few highlights and deck details (like maybe a black capstan, yellow railings, and some red on the flags) I feel like the overall visual impact would be much stronger and the explosions and wreckage would stand out a lot more clearly.  At any rate, if you give it a try I'd love to see how you mod it!  

Otherwise, as I said on your other entry, I'm loving the presentation and the system style branding!  I hope at least some of the suggestions are useful, if not for this than for future builds! :pir-wink: :pir-triumph:  Keep up the good work!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

41 posts

Ahoy Matey!

They call me Captain Crit in these parts and I heard that polly’s still hungry and wants another sandwich (They’re still fed up with crackers apparently) - a criticism sandwich that is! (For you landlubbers, that’s 3 seas [Cs]- Compliment, Constructive Criticism, and another Compliment).

Ye did a great job buildin’ this and connectin’ it to yer other build! The classic background is also a fun touch once again. 

There only be a few wee things I can think of to make this better. THe first is similar to what has already been said- the scene seems a little too busy, making it hard to focus on something. THe second thing would be it’d be great if Steve could be included somwhow, since the contest is all about him. Whether integrated into the base or created as a wee stack o’ plates, or even added as a graphic to a clear 1x1 brick as was done in another entry, this would make the build a wee bit mmore fitting. 

Me favorite part o’ this build is the tray that it sits in. The reddish brown and gold nicely constrasts with the light blue and is a good way to frame the edges of the build. I also like all the ways you showed action in the build, from thte firing cannons to the cannonballs landing in the sea or hitting the ship, down to the tattered sail where the cannonball hit. 

Fair Winds Matey!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

84 posts

Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, Math Wizard said:

Ahoy Matey!

They call me Captain Crit in these parts and I heard that polly’s still hungry and wants another sandwich (They’re still fed up with crackers apparently) - a criticism sandwich that is! (For you landlubbers, that’s 3 seas [Cs]- Compliment, Constructive Criticism, and another Compliment).

Ye did a great job buildin’ this and connectin’ it to yer other build! The classic background is also a fun touch once again. 

There only be a few wee things I can think of to make this better. THe first is similar to what has already been said- the scene seems a little too busy, making it hard to focus on something. THe second thing would be it’d be great if Steve could be included somwhow, since the contest is all about him. Whether integrated into the base or created as a wee stack o’ plates, or even added as a graphic to a clear 1x1 brick as was done in another entry, this would make the build a wee bit mmore fitting. 

Me favorite part o’ this build is the tray that it sits in. The reddish brown and gold nicely constrasts with the light blue and is a good way to frame the edges of the build. I also like all the ways you showed action in the build, from thte firing cannons to the cannonballs landing in the sea or hitting the ship, down to the tattered sail where the cannonball hit. 

Fair Winds Matey!

Thank you for your comments. I don't feel crammed in this little diorama, but I'll take it if it is for you. I'd say you can find details that you like even after looking at them several times. Yes, I've thought about how to incorporate Steve's figure, but the proportions are not necessarily right. And showing Him, in any form, would have made it worse. However, there was a version of this set where he was just standing in the middle as a minifigure where the board is now. You know, like you do with UCS sets. But in the end I didn't like it.

15 hours ago, Garmadon said:

Lovely frame, the water and island look quite pretty too against the brown and gold you've got going on there!  In general the ship is quite nice as well (those brown bars for rigging at this scale are great!), but I think it's a bit too chaotic for the eye to capture what's happening :pir-grin:  Going a bit simpler, maybe less colors (I know the red and white sails and the black in the hull are obvious Classic Pirate references, but if you were to make the sails all white, the lower hull and masts all brown (or dark brown :pir-wub:) except the cannons, and keep the black, yellow and red for a few highlights and deck details (like maybe a black capstan, yellow railings, and some red on the flags) I feel like the overall visual impact would be much stronger and the explosions and wreckage would stand out a lot more clearly.  At any rate, if you give it a try I'd love to see how you mod it!  

Otherwise, as I said on your other entry, I'm loving the presentation and the system style branding!  I hope at least some of the suggestions are useful, if not for this than for future builds! :pir-wink: :pir-triumph:  Keep up the good work!

You're right about the sail, because it might have been better with just white and the familiar coat of arms logo, but that hadn't occurred to me before. Maybe the cannon is a bit much for a merchant ship, but I wanted to show the atmosphere of a fierce battle. As well as the crowdedness. As I answered above, I like it that way because there are always new little things to discover in the set. It's definitely nice to get feedback on one of my MOCs, thanks to you for that too. I'm glad you like it. 😉🍻🏴☠️

 

Edited by MyFirstMOC-Hun

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

75 posts

Very nice mini-build. The ship and all the accessories are the right proportions. I especially like the cannon fire and water splashes! My only critique is that it appears quite busy from some angles. Maybe a larger diorama base would have helped with that, but I wouldn’t change anything, it is very well designed!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

84 posts

33 minutes ago, SevenDeadlyStreamers said:

Very nice mini-build. The ship and all the accessories are the right proportions. I especially like the cannon fire and water splashes! My only critique is that it appears quite busy from some angles. Maybe a larger diorama base would have helped with that, but I wouldn’t change anything, it is very well designed!

Thank you very much! 🍻🏴☠️😉😎

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

360 posts

Excellent micro-build, I appreciate the originality and it really captures the barracuda's looks. But, a few small things do bother me : the cannons should shoot out smoke (using a white ice cream piece), and, for the same reasons, the water splashes should be white, since that's what they'd look like.

Alternatively, maybe try to make the background of a different colour? Since this is a digital build, it looks very clean, so a natural colour background (like light beige, or some light grey) would really make it seem "dirtier" (more natural).

I do like the display stand, and the small details give it life which larger builds would struggle to pull off. Good job!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

84 posts

5 minutes ago, Horation said:

Excellent micro-build, I appreciate the originality and it really captures the barracuda's looks. But, a few small things do bother me : the cannons should shoot out smoke (using a white ice cream piece), and, for the same reasons, the water splashes should be white, since that's what they'd look like.

Alternatively, maybe try to make the background of a different colour? Since this is a digital build, it looks very clean, so a natural colour background (like light beige, or some light grey) would really make it seem "dirtier" (more natural).

I do like the display stand, and the small details give it life which larger builds would struggle to pull off. Good job!

I thought about this solution for the cannon, but in the end I preferred the fire, because I liked it better. I don't like the white water splash. It would look somehow foreign on the diorama. Plus the splash brick is not in white I think. Thank you very much for your review! 👍😉🏴☠️🍻

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

360 posts

4 minutes ago, MyFirstMOC-Hun said:

I thought about this solution for the cannon, but in the end I preferred the fire [...] It would look somehow foreign on the diorama. Plus the splash brick is not in white I think. 

Fair enough, but I do have to ask, are those 1 by 2 tiles battle damage or small boats? If they are the first, why not add a small flag (there's this one mini imperial trading outpost which does it quite well using an armour piece). If they are the latter, why not add some battle damage? (Silencing one of the guns, for instance).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

84 posts

22 minutes ago, Horation said:

Fair enough, but I do have to ask, are those 1 by 2 tiles battle damage or small boats? If they are the first, why not add a small flag (there's this one mini imperial trading outpost which does it quite well using an armour piece). If they are the latter, why not add some battle damage? (Silencing one of the guns, for instance).

This is one of the mistakes in the set. It was originally supposed to be a shipwreck. Now I could say boats but if they were boats I would have used a different element. So those were left as battle damage. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

360 posts

47 minutes ago, MyFirstMOC-Hun said:

This is one of the mistakes in the set. It was originally supposed to be a shipwreck. Now I could say boats but if they were boats I would have used a different element. So those were left as battle damage. 

If you want to simply remove them, it'll help, as the build is more than detailed enough to compensate for their disappearance, or alternatively, go fully for the damage and lower one of the masts, it would make the boat look more consistently ravaged by the battle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

84 posts

3 hours ago, Horation said:

If you want to simply remove them, it'll help, as the build is more than detailed enough to compensate for their disappearance, or alternatively, go fully for the damage and lower one of the masts, it would make the boat look more consistently ravaged by the battle.

Okay, I'll look at it that way. But it may end up as you wrote, that I just remove both.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

360 posts

Other than that , you could simply end up adding a mini Steve on one of those 1x2s (a 1x1 transparent brick approximation of him, or a custom sticker like in the mini imperial trading outpost I've seen in another post in this contest). This would make it look like a raft or a boat which he's escaping on, and would comply with the "Steve must be in the build" criterion

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

41 posts

21 hours ago, MyFirstMOC-Hun said:

This is one of the mistakes in the set. It was originally supposed to be a shipwreck. Now I could say boats but if they were boats I would have used a different element. So those were left as battle damage. 

You could perhaps also but a gray cheese slope nearby, and maybe use both a brown tile and brown grill (or cheesegrater slope) so it would look like a small shipwreck from a previous time to show the dangers of these waters if you didn't want to directly show damage to the ship

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

922 posts

Nice micro build, I especially like the frame you built for the build, with Steve's Doom written on it. Having said that, can we get a little more background on what's going on here? Is Steve on the ship? If so, what is he doing on it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

84 posts

3 hours ago, Captain Pirate Man said:

Nice micro build, I especially like the frame you built for the build, with Steve's Doom written on it. Having said that, can we get a little more background on what's going on here? Is Steve on the ship? If so, what is he doing on it?

The background to the story is in Steve's Hideout.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

917 posts

Hm... i like Your build and the presentatin is amazing, i think that this would even look better without all the battle elements, but honestly i can't see how it conects to Steve, except of the signboard :( EDIT: ok, i see it now, after reading Your other entry, but with miniatures, it's tricky and unfriendly territory if one wants to tell any story :) 

With Your skills i'd totaly love to see the entire battle picture this way, tiny tiny ships damaged by pirates in a foggy or smoky environment :) 

But the greatest part of this set is the base itself, stunning! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.