Sign in to follow this  
BrynnOfCastlegate

[ENTRY][SMALL] International Society of Steve

Recommended Posts

77 posts

The enigmatic Steve... pirate or merchant, peg leg or none, hooks and eye patches appear and disappear. How can these all be the same person?

Welcome to the International Society of Steve (ISS), where Steves from across the seven seas meet to plot new ways to confuse the public. At their secret meetings, merchants plan new trade routes, sailors look for new work and pirates plot raids on merchant ships (some may say there is a conflict of interest here... :pir-laugh:).

Not all meetings go to plan, however.

Tavern%20Lighting.jpg

Here we see the dramatic scene as the Head Steve forcibly ejects Captain Redbeard from a meeting after the discovery that, despite his dashing red beard, his name is not Steve, but Roger. Captain Redbeard subsequently attempts to get out into the night before that half-filled bottle of rum connects with his skull.

Here are some more pictures of the model, which has approximately 161 pieces.

International%20Society%20of%20Steve%201

International%20Society%20of%20Steve%202

International%20Society%20of%20Steve%203

Look at the smile on Steve's face as he tosses out Redbeard.

International%20Society%20of%20Steve%204

I hope you like my entry!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

41 posts

Ahoy Matey!

They call me Captain Crit in these parts and I heard that polly wants a sandwich (They’re fed up with crackers apparently) - a criticism sandwich that is! (For you landlubbers, that’s 3 seas [Cs]- Compliment, Constructive Criticism, and another Compliment).

Ye did a great job buildin’ this and creat’n a story to go along with it! The warm atmosphere from the lighting and immersive scene in the first photo is a nice touch. Makes me wish wish my name were Steve so I could hang out in this cozy meeting room!

This build looks quite good so it was hard to come up with a critique. It might make it a wee bit better if ye took first image was from a slightly different angle. Right now you can see the white space beyond the wall on the left, though it isn’t very noticale.

Me favorite part o’ this build is the flying bottle o’ grog. I love the way the bottle is attached is disguised as grog spilling out as it flies through the air. I also like the way ye added redbird, and the posing of characters as they throw him out.

Fair Winds Matey!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2619 posts

Nice little moc! The lightning makes for a very atmospheric scene and the flying bottle is fun :pir-huzzah1:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5385 posts

Oh, that's hilarious!  Love all the different Steve's - poor Redbeard though, so close! :pir-grin: :pir_laugh2:  The dim, confabulatory lighting on the first pic is gold too, and your writing style, superb. :roflmao:  I'm very much enjoying all the little details too, like the gold, lantern snapped onto the wall, the map, teasure chest and parrot (presumably named Steve :pir-laugh:), and of course the bottle chucked at ol' Redbeard's ruddy pate.  I've got to admit I'm wondering why you went for grey between the floorboards (although I do agree something to break up the brown is handy), and I'd like tiles under the table myself, but I'm totally scraping the bottom of the barrel for critiques here :grin:  A very nice and fun build, you've definitely made me laugh the most of this contest so far!! :pir-triumph:  Cheers, matey!:pir-huzzah2:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

142 posts

Cute little build. Multiple Steves was an interesting creative decision. I wish we had more backstory on them. Are they alternate universe variants? Brothers? Clones?! The thrown bottle is a great idea!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

77 posts

On 6/22/2024 at 4:58 PM, Math Wizard said:

Ahoy Matey!

They call me Captain Crit in these parts and I heard that polly wants a sandwich (They’re fed up with crackers apparently) - a criticism sandwich that is! (For you landlubbers, that’s 3 seas [Cs]- Compliment, Constructive Criticism, and another Compliment).

Ye did a great job buildin’ this and creat’n a story to go along with it! The warm atmosphere from the lighting and immersive scene in the first photo is a nice touch. Makes me wish wish my name were Steve so I could hang out in this cozy meeting room!

This build looks quite good so it was hard to come up with a critique. It might make it a wee bit better if ye took first image was from a slightly different angle. Right now you can see the white space beyond the wall on the left, though it isn’t very noticale.

Me favorite part o’ this build is the flying bottle o’ grog. I love the way the bottle is attached is disguised as grog spilling out as it flies through the air. I also like the way ye added redbird, and the posing of characters as they throw him out.

Fair Winds Matey!

I'm glad you like it! In hindsight, I should have used a dark background for the first picture, but it would be hard to recreate the lighting, since I was just pointing a light brick at different parts of the model until I got the effect I wanted. :pir-laugh: The bottle is not grog, though; the Head Steve demands full-strength rum! :pir-huzzah1:

14 hours ago, Garmadon said:

Oh, that's hilarious!  Love all the different Steve's - poor Redbeard though, so close! :pir-grin: :pir_laugh2:  The dim, confabulatory lighting on the first pic is gold too, and your writing style, superb. :roflmao:  I'm very much enjoying all the little details too, like the gold, lantern snapped onto the wall, the map, teasure chest and parrot (presumably named Steve :pir-laugh:), and of course the bottle chucked at ol' Redbeard's ruddy pate.  I've got to admit I'm wondering why you went for grey between the floorboards (although I do agree something to break up the brown is handy), and I'd like tiles under the table myself, but I'm totally scraping the bottom of the barrel for critiques here :grin:  A very nice and fun build, you've definitely made me laugh the most of this contest so far!! :pir-triumph:  Cheers, matey!:pir-huzzah2:

I'm glad you enjoyed it! The parrot is definitely named Steve. :parrot: The grey tiles were just to break up the brown and because I had extra grey tiles sitting about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

75 posts

You solved the mystery of who Steve is by making everyone a potential Steve! :pir-classic:
I don’t have any real criticisms, however that brittle brown table is making me a bit nervous without some support in the middle :pirate-sad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

77 posts

On 6/23/2024 at 8:27 PM, SevenDeadlyStreamers said:

You solved the mystery of who Steve is by making everyone a potential Steve! :pir-classic:
I don’t have any real criticisms, however that brittle brown table is making me a bit nervous without some support in the middle :pirate-sad

I'm glad you like it! Don't worry about the table; it's only loaded with a huge pile of gold. :pir-laugh:

On 6/28/2024 at 10:28 AM, thewatchman said:

Beautiful build!

 Incredible use of storytelling and clever torso choice ;)

Thank you! As I mentioned in another topic, I haven't got the actual Steve minifigure. Notice you never see the front of his torso in the photos. Does anyone want to guess what torso Head Steve has? Hint: it's monogrammed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

360 posts

On 6/22/2024 at 11:03 AM, BrynnOfCastlegate said:

Not all meetings go to plan, however.

Tavern%20Lighting.jpg

Here we see the dramatic scene as the Head Steve forcibly ejects Captain Redbeard from a meeting after the discovery that, despite his dashing red beard, his name is not Steve, but Roger. Captain Redbeard subsequently attempts to get out into the night before that half-filled bottle of rum connects with his skull.

Here are some more pictures of the model, which has approximately 161 pieces.

As always from your end, a solid build with a lot of charm, this picture in particular is excellent and creates some sense of old-timey-ness to me. I like the details in this small space and the story is well told by the build alone. 

One thing I'd have done differently is to take the door closer to the middle ( and maybe add a chair or two) to make it seem like it was a proper sitting meeting of gentlemen. The door could be set outwards (as in opening towards the outside and not the inside like here) if the table ends up blocking it or touching, and I think Redbeard would take his parrot with him, but other than that, an original idea executed almost perfectly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

77 posts

15 hours ago, Horation said:

As always from your end, a solid build with a lot of charm, this picture in particular is excellent and creates some sense of old-timey-ness to me. I like the details in this small space and the story is well told by the build alone. 

One thing I'd have done differently is to take the door closer to the middle ( and maybe add a chair or two) to make it seem like it was a proper sitting meeting of gentlemen. The door could be set outwards (as in opening towards the outside and not the inside like here) if the table ends up blocking it or touching, and I think Redbeard would take his parrot with him, but other than that, an original idea executed almost perfectly.

Thank you for the kind comments! Redbeard should have grabbed his parrot on the way out. :pir-laugh:

I was originally going to do chairs, but I found the space was too tight to get the angles I wanted for the minifigures. Perhaps I could have fit them if I arranged things differently.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

360 posts

Well space constraints are a part of the game, and if it doesn't fit, you must acquit, so I understand if it ruins the picture too much, maybe have Redbeard be ducking a chair someone is throwing at him?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

922 posts

Nice build and great story!! My biggest question is... Is that Ironhook in there?? He must be doing some sort of shady activities if it IS him. As for Roger Readbeard... Does he REALLY think that Steve wouldn't recognize him?? Will Redbeard ever learn??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

77 posts

5 hours ago, Captain Pirate Man said:

Nice build and great story!! My biggest question is... Is that Ironhook in there?? He must be doing some sort of shady activities if it IS him. As for Roger Readbeard... Does he REALLY think that Steve wouldn't recognize him?? Will Redbeard ever learn??

Thank you! That is Ironhook without the peg leg, which apparently some have speculated is actually Steve, which is why I included him. :pir-wink: Redbeard thinks he can get away with anything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

917 posts

Lovely interior! Aboslutely love those walls. And the idea about Steve having many clones is very original and intruguing. However, i see one weakness here. There's just not enough of Steves! Only 3 of them in the picture? I thought that Steve's clones numbers are limitless... and rising! ;)

And, hey, the one Steve that throw the bottle is clealy not a Steve either! Real Steve wouldn't never ever throw a bottle at anyone! He's a merchant for God's sake! A bottle means profit, a bottle thrown away or disposed of ( empty or not ) means financial losses! How would Steve ever do that? Think about it. Naaah, it couldn't have been him. And if it wasn't him, it's clear it was an impostor as well! It was a real Roger, in disguise, who only posed as Steve and somehow managed to suit real Steve as a himself, and then kick him out.

And look at the parrot. That's clearly captain Rogers parrot! You think it would just sit in there while he would be kicked out? Nah, that one loyal, higly trained bird, that would rush to help him, and flee without him. So why is is sitting in there like if nothing happened to captain Roger? Because she knows nothing happened to Roger! As Roger is the one kicking real Steve out!

The only question is how and why would be do that? What's his plan? Well... we must investigate more! Sure hope Steve and all other Steve will turn this around into their favor... and profit ;)

Anyway... nice diorama. Loved the bottle trick, at least on the first picture where the light is smartly enshadowed where it should be. It only takes a while to realize it's stuck into the wall. So good job. 

My only suggestion is that since Steve's mob is so powerful... shouldn't they have a more tastefull hq? I would like to see more riches lying basically everywhere, on the wall, by the wall, next to the wall, on the floor... etc etc.  I mean, yeah there are few pennies on the table, but let's be honest, who would wanna join Steve's group for such peanuts? ;)  

  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

77 posts

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Mazin said:

Anyway... nice diorama. Loved the bottle trick, at least on the first picture where the light is smartly enshadowed where it should be. It only takes a while to realize it's stuck into the wall. So good job. 

I'm glad you like it! I like the way the lighting turned out in the first photo.

The idea for my story is not clones, but rather anyone named Steve can join the secret society (and possibly Stephanie... but definitely not Roger :pir-laugh:) They meet secretly in taverns throughout the lands, so it is not their headquarters, but a temporary meeting site. Hence, the bulk of their treasure is hidden elsewhere. :pir-wink:

Anyone have a guess as to Head Steve's torso?

Edited by BrynnOfCastlegate

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

917 posts

6 minutes ago, BrynnOfCastlegate said:

I'm glad you like it! I like the way the lighting turned out in the first photo.

The idea for my story is not clones, but rather anyone named Steve can join the secret society (and possibly Stephanie... but definitely not Roger :pir-laugh:) They meet secretly in taverns throughout the lands, so it is not their headquarters, but a temporary meeting site. Hence, the bulk of their treasure is hidden elsewhere. :pir-wink:

Anyone have a guess as to Head Steve's torso?

Oh, so can i join to too, IF i will rename myself to Steve? Actually Mazin is an ancient protoindoeuropean form of Steve, the protoSteve, one that gave birth to all them newer versions ;) 

But, since You've explained where all the loot... pardon... all the earnings are, maybe that's a base for another story? One that could show Steve's and Steves' secret saving account, so that we could se how much wealth did he managed to aquire during all those Lego years, that made him the most famous merchant in pirate world ;) 

About that torso... hm... someting non-pirate at all i guess? Since You manage to hide it from our eyes, maybe You didn't want to show it as it was out of place ;) A racetrack driver or Schell/petrol worker comes to my mind, as i had them and they kinda look like that, with all white but stripe going trugh the middle of their torso ;)   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

77 posts

1 minute ago, Mazin said:

Oh, so can i join to too, IF i will rename myself to Steve? Actually Mazin is an ancient protoindoeuropean form of Steve, the protoSteve, one that gave birth to all them newer versions ;) 

Tell that to the Head Steve and see what happens...

You are on the right "track" with the torso. Is is a racetrack driver one and it is monogrammed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

917 posts

7 minutes ago, BrynnOfCastlegate said:

Tell that to the Head Steve and see what happens...

You are on the right "track" with the torso. Is is a racetrack driver one and it is monogrammed.

Gotcha! See? I knew it. And how did i knew it? Only a real protoSteve could have known what HeadSteve was wearing. It's in our ( corrupted by wealth ) blood ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1703 posts

Very funny story, Captain Redbeard gets a bottle thrown at his head! I like the first photo very much, because it looks like the bottle is really flying through the air. The wooden walls with the windows and the door are well built.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

77 posts

Just now, NOD said:

Very funny story, Captain Redbeard gets a bottle thrown at his head! I like the first photo very much, because it looks like the bottle is really flying through the air. The wooden walls with the windows and the door are well built.

Thank you! I do think the first photo turned out very well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

917 posts

11 minutes ago, BrynnOfCastlegate said:

Yeah, i used to have it. Actually completely forgot about this set and figure, and got reminded just now thanx to You :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

77 posts

Just now, Mazin said:

Yeah, i used to have it. Actually completely forgot about this set and figure, and got reminded just now thanx to You :) 

Cool! Which set do you have it in? Mine is from:

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?S=6509-1#T=S&O={"iconly":0}

When I was looking for a white torso for Steve, the first one I spotted was this one, but then I noticed it had a back print:

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=973pb0698c01&idColor=1#T=C&C=1

No dress for Steve. :pir-laugh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

917 posts

5 minutes ago, BrynnOfCastlegate said:

Cool! Which set do you have it in? Mine is from:

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?S=6509-1#T=S&O={"iconly":0}

When I was looking for a white torso for Steve, the first one I spotted was this one, but then I noticed it had a back print:

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=973pb0698c01&idColor=1#T=C&C=1

No dress for Steve. :pir-laugh:

Exactly the one You linked to :) The rade cacing car :)

I might have had some other from that group, or i'm mixing them together in my memory, as a lot of sets kinda look similar to another, or they might have have reused some ideas over and over :)

But back to Steve, why can't he have a dress? Maybe it calls for a story where he could be forced to pretend he's a woman... or a Scottsman ;)

Obviously dressing up as a woman or Scottsman would be more pirate-friendly than racing ;) 

Or maybe racing but by vessels? Surely as a marchant and sailor Steve used to compete in many races to prove who'll the booze as the first one, cause, as we all know it, every merchan that brings good to the port as the first can dictate best prices, as he's bringing something locals don't have, and merchant that will follow, will be forced to be paid less as the market will already saturate by this time ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.