Sign in to follow this  
SevenDeadlyStreamers

[ENTRY][SMALL] Steve meets Cap’n Tongs!

75 posts

This entry is mostly for fun, and to let people know about the little game we play here at Classic Pirates called “Brethren of the Brick Seas” 

This is my sigfig from BotBS who goes by the name Cap’n Tongs. And he is serving up some delicious seafood to our friend Steve!

Infamous Steve

This small diorama is built with 117pcs (not including the 2 minifigs).

Cap’n Tongs is a member of the Sea Rats faction, so it’s no surprise he would be socializing with a nefarious character such as Steve! :pir-huzzah2:

41 posts

Ahoy again me Matey! You’ve sure been busy in these parts!

I heard that polly wants another sandwich from Captain Crit, so here we go!

This build is simple yet effective at showing off Steve and advertising for BotBS! It is a very clean render, with a good background as well!

I’m having a tough time critiquing these great builds, but I managed to think up a thing or two that could improve this scene. The first would be to eliminate some of the visible studs, both on the sideways barrels and on the top of the vignette. I would use tiles in both these cases if I were you, to keep the model nice and clean. A second thing you might look at is how to render realistic lights. I don’t know much aything about digital building, but the candle flames look pretty fake. I don’t know if there is a better way to do that or not.

Overall though, this is an excellent build. Ye did a great job, especially with the shelf o’ bottles- the parts usage for the supports is a superb idea! I love how much you were able to cram into this small space to make it feel really inhabited. 

I hope you continue to have fair winds Matey!

75 posts

13 hours ago, Math Wizard said:

Ahoy again me Matey! You’ve sure been busy in these parts!

I heard that polly wants another sandwich from Captain Crit, so here we go!

This build is simple yet effective at showing off Steve and advertising for BotBS! It is a very clean render, with a good background as well!

I’m having a tough time critiquing these great builds, but I managed to think up a thing or two that could improve this scene. The first would be to eliminate some of the visible studs, both on the sideways barrels and on the top of the vignette. I would use tiles in both these cases if I were you, to keep the model nice and clean. A second thing you might look at is how to render realistic lights. I don’t know much aything about digital building, but the candle flames look pretty fake. I don’t know if there is a better way to do that or not.

Overall though, this is an excellent build. Ye did a great job, especially with the shelf o’ bottles- the parts usage for the supports is a superb idea! I love how much you were able to cram into this small space to make it feel really inhabited. 

I hope you continue to have fair winds Matey!

Thanks Captain Crit! Notes on the studs, and BrickLink Studio’s built-in rendering is limited. Some people use Blender with Mechabricks to achieve a more polished render with better lighting, but that’s a little beyond my skill set at the moment. However, you encouraged me to do a little more research and I might try my hands at it with one of these small builds!

Thanks again matey! 

5385 posts

Ah, I don't know why but that buttered crab really looks delicious! :pir-grin:  Great to see Steve hanging out with your BoBS character, and that candle bracket on the wall is a really nice design too, I'm going to have to remember that!  Same with the bars under the shelf on the left wall, I love how it looks like they're doing something when we all know that the shelf is really holding them up after all :pir_tong2:  I agree with MW about tiling the top of the wall, but the barrels look fine to me since that's the way LEGO usually tops them in sets :pir-huzzah2:  The parchment-y sort of background works great for presentation too, another solid entry from you, mate! :pir-sweet:

75 posts

On 6/20/2024 at 3:32 PM, Garmadon said:

Ah, I don't know why but that buttered crab really looks delicious! :pir-grin:  Great to see Steve hanging out with your BoBS character, and that candle bracket on the wall is a really nice design too, I'm going to have to remember that!  Same with the bars under the shelf on the left wall, I love how it looks like they're doing something when we all know that the shelf is really holding them up after all :pir_tong2:  I agree with MW about tiling the top of the wall, but the barrels look fine to me since that's the way LEGO usually tops them in sets :pir-huzzah2:  The parchment-y sort of background works great for presentation too, another solid entry from you, mate! :pir-sweet:

Thank ye! I’m glad you noticed my floating shelf with pretend supports, lol

360 posts

I like the colour choices, and the background colours are better than most digital builds.

But I think making it seem more restaurant-like would fit better, as this looks like a cave, so we'd expect a wine tasting session, maybe just replacing the barrel with a stool piece (if you know what I am referring to, it was using as a landing gear in classic space spaceships) would fit better. Alternatively, if you want to go all the way, adding some taps on the barrels would be more logical...

Overall, a small wall that does all that it shall need to capture the moment.

922 posts

Very fun little build. That crab Captain Tongs made looks good... Either that or I'm just hungry, lol. He is a member of the Sea Rats you say? I get the feeling this scene takes place on a ship then? I could see this taking place in the kitchen of a vessel. 

917 posts

Lovely little build! Both characters are on point, eveything piece seem to play a role in this small story, no unnecessary elements in sight  - a map on the wall is a rather smart and simple way to remind us that it takes place in the Carribean, without it it could be just darkish tavern anywhere in the ( tfu tfu ) land. By the size of the pouch on the floor i i can say that's one hell expensive lobster! Or maybe Steve payed a visit to his culinary friend, to pay him his share of the loot... pardon! earning from his totally legal and honest business?  Then again look, there's even a bucket incase lobster wouldn't taste that well and Steve would have to vomit... so perhaps Steve isn't realy paying a visit but is forced to take part in this cruel dinner in order to seal some new lucrative trading deal?

Anyway... i don't see anything worth adding here. But should You be willing to make a sequel to it, or rebuild it using real parts then perhaps You could find a way to to put a window in there? With a bit of a palm tree visible from inside, which would bring more tropical vibe to it. Or perhaps there could be even bars instead of a simple window, thus Steve would be sitting in a prison instead of a restaurant, and the lobster would be a clear sign that even in jail he's treated with great respect... or that he can afford best cousine any time and wnywhere ;)    

75 posts

On 6/30/2024 at 12:58 AM, Horation said:

I like the colour choices, and the background colours are better than most digital builds.

But I think making it seem more restaurant-like would fit better, as this looks like a cave, so we'd expect a wine tasting session, maybe just replacing the barrel with a stool piece (if you know what I am referring to, it was using as a landing gear in classic space spaceships) would fit better. Alternatively, if you want to go all the way, adding some taps on the barrels would be more logical...

Overall, a small wall that does all that it shall need to capture the moment.

Haha, I know the exact landing gear part. 
I wanted to make sure I stayed below the piece count so I kept the base pretty small. Taps on the barrels would be a nice touch, it’s definitely worth a revisit. Thanks for the tips!

On 7/2/2024 at 3:51 AM, Captain Pirate Man said:

Very fun little build. That crab Captain Tongs made looks good... Either that or I'm just hungry, lol. He is a member of the Sea Rats you say? I get the feeling this scene takes place on a ship then? I could see this taking place in the kitchen of a vessel. 

I was originally going to use Capt’n Tongs raft/restaurant, but the contest calls for a new build so I started from scratch. Now that mentioned it, I think I could make some tweaks to turn this into a ship’s mess deck!

On 7/2/2024 at 8:03 AM, Mazin said:

Lovely little build! Both characters are on point, eveything piece seem to play a role in this small story, no unnecessary elements in sight  - a map on the wall is a rather smart and simple way to remind us that it takes place in the Carribean, without it it could be just darkish tavern anywhere in the ( tfu tfu ) land. By the size of the pouch on the floor i i can say that's one hell expensive lobster! Or maybe Steve payed a visit to his culinary friend, to pay him his share of the loot... pardon! earning from his totally legal and honest business?  Then again look, there's even a bucket incase lobster wouldn't taste that well and Steve would have to vomit... so perhaps Steve isn't realy paying a visit but is forced to take part in this cruel dinner in order to seal some new lucrative trading deal?

Anyway... i don't see anything worth adding here. But should You be willing to make a sequel to it, or rebuild it using real parts then perhaps You could find a way to to put a window in there? With a bit of a palm tree visible from inside, which would bring more tropical vibe to it. Or perhaps there could be even bars instead of a simple window, thus Steve would be sitting in a prison instead of a restaurant, and the lobster would be a clear sign that even in jail he's treated with great respect... or that he can afford best cousine any time and wnywhere ;)    

I enjoy reading your comments, so thanks for the extra insight into the story. I have a bit of a backstory for my sigfig over in the BotBS forum. Essentially Capt’n Tongs is searching for someone, so there may be more to this meeting than meets the eye. 

917 posts

11 minutes ago, SevenDeadlyStreamers said:

I enjoy reading your comments, so thanks for the extra insight into the story. I have a bit of a backstory for my sigfig over in the BotBS forum. Essentially Capt’n Tongs is searching for someone, so there may be more to this meeting than meets the eye. 

Glad to hear that. Hope Yu gonna expand this universe of Your own into other entries :)