Sign in to follow this  
thewatchman

[ENTRY][LARGE] Found Forbidden Fortune

Recommended Posts

450 posts

Before Steve had the cutter, Steve was a mere navigator, after helping red beard navigate the treacherous waters on his crew, he was given a map and his freedom.

 Setting sail to make his fortune Steve headed towards previously explored coves in search of a treasure never found.

IMG_4996IMG_4993

From a distance, he spotted a cove, a forbidden cove.

IMG_5001IMG_5002IMG_5003IMG_5004

Spotting what looked like a cave he made his way towards it before realising another approach maybe be better.

IMG_5024

Another cave led to what looked like a bad omen; so he continued around the back to what looked like some sort of crocodile cage.

IMG_5007IMG_5025

Inside Steve spotted something that made him smile, and began hastily loading the spoils into his small boat.

IMG_5026IMG_5027

And left with dreams of supplying rich imperials with his bigger boat.

Shortly after, a long lost island came looking for something else, to find what had happened to his king and his throne.

IMG_5028

He found clues of who had done this, can you spot it too?

IMG_5029

hope you liked my revisit with Steve to some old familiar locations, just a bit older and a bit more damaged. 
 The entire build is modular and clicks together in 4 different ways though it doesn’t offer much in the way of alternate display. 
 

IMG_5011IMG_5012IMG_5006

Feel free to find more at my Flickr, and thank you for looking. I love the islanders them and building this was incredibly fun. 
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

41 posts

Ahoy Matey!

They call me Captain Crit in these parts and I heard that polly wants a sandwich (They’re fed up with crackers apparently) - a criticism sandwich that is! (For you landlubbers, that’s 3 seas [Cs]- Compliment, Constructive Criticism, and another Compliment).

Ye did a great job buildin’ this, and creatin’ a story to go along with it. I like how you showed a story as Steve continues to explore, rather than just one angle. 

One thing that could have made this a wee bit better is the photos. There are a few where I can see objects in the background, which really detracts from the photo. I might sugggest getting a posterboard or a sheet (something larger) to use as a backdrop so other stuff doesn’t make it into the photo.

Me favorite part o’ this build is idol head and alligator cave. These really added to the build and gave it character. I also enjoyed the little mystery at the end…something tells me a pirate did it, but I don’t want ter betray who done it! :pir-triumph:

Fair Winds Matey!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

75 posts

I really enjoyed the story and all the supporting photos. Steve also looks great in his younger years. For a critique I would say try to use a bigger backdrop, I could see the Starry Night in the background (great set btw). And great job using physical bricks! :pir-triumph:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1774 posts

That is a lovely replacement torso you found for Steve, what set does it originate from?

I don't like the azure plates for water but that's just a personal preference, the forbidden cove is easily recognisable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

450 posts

On 6/21/2024 at 6:31 PM, Sebeus I said:

That is a lovely replacement torso you found for Steve, what set does it originate from?

I don't like the azure plates for water but that's just a personal preference, the forbidden cove is easily recognisable.

The torso is from newt salamander.

 One of the fantastic beasts and where to find them sets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5385 posts

On 6/19/2024 at 9:54 AM, thewatchman said:

And left with dreams of supplying rich imperials with his bigger boat...

:laugh: :rofl: Oh, never mind, I got it now :grin:  That is funny though :pir-laugh:

That's a jolly version of Steve you've got there, mate! - I'm afraid I find myself in the same boat as ye not possessing the original figure, but ye've got a very proper merchant-looking figure there, so ye have!  Really nice job mashing the Islander theme with some of the more modern pirate sets style and incorporating some of the fun playable features you'd find in a LEGO set - as far as who done the king in, I don't know, but that hook does sure look suspicious!  All the animals, traps, and doors are really fun, and of course, gold!! :pir-huzzah2:

I will agree with the critiques about the photography though - I usually take my pictures outside on a cloudy day or in the shade to get some nice diffused light and even shadows, or of course, as this is an outdoors island-y build you could even go for direct sunlight if you feel a bit more adventurous!  Your shots are really nice a crisp, but a cleaner background and a consistent width on the pictures (you can resize them right here on EB if you want by double-clicking on them while editing the post :pir-wink:) would make it easier to scroll through and enjoy :pir-triumph:

Definitely hoping we get more Islanders out of this competition!  Unfortunately I don't think I have any of the parts for your Steve here either though, so I'll have to see what I can do myself, but all the best to ye, mate! :pir-sweet:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

142 posts

This is a great little build. Very reminiscent of the classic Crocodile Cage Islander set. I like how you did the bars for the cage. And a brick built sail is a nice choice! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

77 posts

Very nice model; I always like the Islanders. :pir-laugh: I quite like the classic statue head for the door!

On 6/23/2024 at 3:07 AM, Garmadon said:

That's a jolly version of Steve you've got there, mate! - I'm afraid I find myself in the same boat as ye not possessing the original figure, but ye've got a very proper merchant-looking figure there, so ye have!  

I also haven't got the original Steve minifigure. If you look at the photos of my entry, you will see they hide as much as they reveal. :pir-wink:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5385 posts

On 6/27/2024 at 6:54 PM, BrynnOfCastlegate said:

I also haven't got the original Steve minifigure. If you look at the photos of my entry, you will see they hide as much as they reveal. :pir-wink:

Aha, that's quite clever! :pir_laugh2:  I had noticed that one Steve had his back to the camera and was therefore likely sporting a different face, but I hadn't noticed the absence of the complete original!  But then, you had at least (a few of!) Steve's face, whereas I will likely be rummaging my sister's collection with my fingers crossed even for that! :pir_tong2:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

503 posts

On 6/19/2024 at 4:54 PM, thewatchman said:

hope you liked my revisit with Steve to some old familiar locations, just a bit older and a bit more damaged. 
 The entire build is modular and clicks together in 4 different ways though it doesn’t offer much in the way of alternate display.

I really like this build and especially the colors you have chosen. This should be a real set!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

359 posts

A great choice of torso for Steve!

For photography, as @Math Wizard already pointed out, the pictures are not always perfectly centered, which is undeniably going to damage immersion into the story. 

Also, the rocks are a little too clean and round to my taste, maybe add a few headlight pieces with vines or leafy bits to spice it up?

Finally, the storytelling is well done (show don't tell is respected), and I appreciate the fact you didn't go for the cliched "pirate running away from a bunch of natives like in Indiana Jones" trope.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

450 posts

57 minutes ago, Horation said:

A great choice of torso for Steve!

For photography, as @Math Wizard already pointed out, the pictures are not always perfectly centered, which is undeniably going to damage immersion into the story. 

Also, the rocks are a little too clean and round to my taste, maybe add a few headlight pieces with vines or leafy bits to spice it up?

Finally, the storytelling is well done (show don't tell is respected), and I appreciate the fact you didn't go for the cliched "pirate running away from a bunch of natives like in Indiana Jones" trope.

Thank you for the advice!

 With a lot of my builds I often go for a more, “Lego set” look rather than an over-engineered MOC look. On shelf I want them to not look too out of place hence the non reliance on vines etc.

 Regarding the storytelling I always just assumed that ironhook was intended to be a more villainous character and I always saw the islanders as the heroes in that line. I loved pobb because the whole concept of time moving on really struck a cord and inspired me with what classic locations would look like 30 years later. 
 

Updated photos with my light box which took a month to arrive and the lighting made everything look digital but oh well.

IMG_5151IMG_5153IMG_5152IMG_5136IMG_5137IMG_5143IMG_5144IMG_5146IMG_5148IMG_5133

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

359 posts

Posted (edited)

Fair enough, I will however suggest adding a couple of coconuts (there's a printed head piece for them) under one of the trees for some easy and not too moc-like details. I also think a sword in the hand of the conquistador's squeleton would make it seem like a more fearsome place ; even a weapon can't save you

Edited by Horation
better feedback

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

450 posts

16 minutes ago, Horation said:

Fair enough, I will however suggest adding a couple of coconuts (there's a printed head piece for them) under one of the trees for some easy and not too moc-like details. I also think a sword in the hand of the conquistador's squeleton would make it seem like a more fearsome place ; even a weapon can't save you

A sword would have been better!

thank you for the advice!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

359 posts

23 minutes ago, thewatchman said:

A sword would have been better!

thank you for the advice!

Glad to see you liked it, another suggestion is to add some torches on the tower to further add to the dangerous feel. Other than that, I would also like to see a ladder, if practicable, since it would improve accessibility for the figures (and is one of my pet peeves for any build).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

41 posts

Posted (edited)

@thewatchman The new photos look a lot more evenly lighted, but they still seem a tad dark. Luckily you could proabably just adjust some settings on the photos to brighten the whole thing at once and it shouldn't look too awkward. There are also still several instances of edges of the build being cut off by the camera edge. Perhaps zoom out a little so the whole build is in the frame to fix this. 

Edited by Math Wizard

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

920 posts

Fantastic MOC!! GREAT storytelling!! Bravo all around!! Creative parts usage for Steve in his younger years. The build itself looks great, I feel like it is set quality. Where did you find that mask for the islander? Was it a CMF that I missed? I can't really "critique" anything, you did a stellar job. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

450 posts

2 hours ago, Captain Pirate Man said:

I love seeing the return of the statue from Barracuda Bay. Nice addition with the green leaf on the eye.

Nice eye!

I did try the original style but it just looked wrong, so tried to build one based off the old style from enchanted island and realise I just built the same one from barracuda bay.

 I toyed with different tiles with the mouth too, and settled on the same layout 🤣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

917 posts

Dude, that's an awesome set! A must have. Did You make that island completely on Your own, or is it rebuilt from a different lego creation?

I absolutely love it it, the way You managed to fill such a small build with so many attraction and play features, and it's not even a "build a new classic lego" contest ;)

The greens, the waterwork, tower, animals,even the boat, where i'm typically not a fan of plastic sails,but here they just work and look nice. Even those blue ( turquise? ) elements on the tower look somewhat needed on those red walls. 

I'm not into those newer coins tho, damn bank and economists! They always try to take the good old shiny things from us and replace it with matt and unattractive forms of payment!

And i see "who's done it"! Ironhook is the murderd, as he left his hook! 

Now... what did i win? ;)

Bur importantly, why on earth would he live his hook in King Tatanahukapatakanahuhikatukatata's body in the first place? 

Was he in such a hurry to flee from the island that he wouldnt need that? Does he need it on dailu basis? Does he always carry a spare hook with him? 

Or maybe that's his personal sign as he always leaves a hook with his killed enemies to warn any other that would dare stand on his path?

But honestly, i think You are all wrong, and he wasn't killed by Ironhook, Ironhook is a beloved toy character, he wouldnt do such a thing. He's a good guy. So he was obviously framed. 

Islanders King must have died in a result of a failed navel piercing attempt, and that hook You're shamely pointing too was just his bracelet, one he could have gotten from any eaten individuals.

Still, i can't wait for next installment of this adventure!

And ( hopefully ) for tips and instrustructions of how You created both the boat and the island as surely many of us would like to have a chance of constructing these builds too :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

450 posts

15 hours ago, Mazin said:

Dude, that's an awesome set! A must have. Did You make that island completely on Your own, or is it rebuilt from a different lego creation?

I absolutely love it it, the way You managed to fill such a small build with so many attraction and play features, and it's not even a "build a new classic lego" contest ;)

The greens, the waterwork, tower, animals,even the boat, where i'm typically not a fan of plastic sails,but here they just work and look nice. Even those blue ( turquise? ) elements on the tower look somewhat needed on those red walls. 

I'm not into those newer coins tho, damn bank and economists! They always try to take the good old shiny things from us and replace it with matt and unattractive forms of payment!

And i see "who's done it"! Ironhook is the murderd, as he left his hook! 

Now... what did i win? ;)

Bur importantly, why on earth would he live his hook in King Tatanahukapatakanahuhikatukatata's body in the first place? 

Was he in such a hurry to flee from the island that he wouldnt need that? Does he need it on dailu basis? Does he always carry a spare hook with him? 

Or maybe that's his personal sign as he always leaves a hook with his killed enemies to warn any other that would dare stand on his path?

But honestly, i think You are all wrong, and he wasn't killed by Ironhook, Ironhook is a beloved toy character, he wouldnt do such a thing. He's a good guy. So he was obviously framed. 

Islanders King must have died in a result of a failed navel piercing attempt, and that hook You're shamely pointing too was just his bracelet, one he could have gotten from any eaten individuals.

Still, i can't wait for next installment of this adventure!

And ( hopefully ) for tips and instrustructions of how You created both the boat and the island as surely many of us would like to have a chance of constructing these builds too :)

Thank you for such kind words. Iv never used any of the digital building programs but for anyone interested I could attempt at making rebrickable instructions. 
 The tower is based off the classic forbidden cove set, a sort of reimagined designed that was my own. 
 The roof was the most challenging because it’s just palm leaves in the original that I wanted to have gone, or not uniform.

 I actually redesigned the roof about 5 times with my wife telling me that it looked far too organised, before I pulled it apart and simplified it and was actually happy with. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

917 posts

4 hours ago, thewatchman said:

Thank you for such kind words. Iv never used any of the digital building programs but for anyone interested I could attempt at making rebrickable instructions. 
 The tower is based off the classic forbidden cove set, a sort of reimagined designed that was my own. 
 The roof was the most challenging because it’s just palm leaves in the original that I wanted to have gone, or not uniform.

 I actually redesigned the roof about 5 times with my wife telling me that it looked far too organised, before I pulled it apart and simplified it and was actually happy with. 

Well it worked beautifully. Nothing wrong in basin Your own design on classic work, but hey, the whole idea is awesome and Your skills allowed You to conduct this whole creating process very nicely.

Getting those instructions would be lovely! 

and thanx for responding! 

BTW... guess there is another reason to get oneself a wife ;) They come handy at times ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

11 posts

Would that crocodile be the one from the latest Jungle Explorers sets (for some reason now it's part of Lego City)? I'll have to get that one sometime...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

450 posts

4 hours ago, YellowFrog said:

Would that crocodile be the one from the latest Jungle Explorers sets (for some reason now it's part of Lego City)? I'll have to get that one sometime...

It absolutely is. That set comes with 2 large ones and one baby. The plane build is meh, but it actually inspired me a lot. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.