Sign in to follow this  
pedro

7037 Tower Raid - Review

indexed.gif

Hey everyone,

My wife took me to Legoland for my birthday just last week. We had a fantastic time and it gave me the chance to pick up some of the new Castle sets and battlepacks :laugh:

I was really impressed by the sets I bought and decided to do my first review... let battle commence!

Set name: Tower Raid

Set number: 7037

Price GBP: £19.99

Pieces: 364

The Models

Here's a shot of the complete set:

7037_complete.jpg

The set is made up of two models, the Crown Knight's tower and the Orc's siege tower.

Let's start with the Crown Knight's tower:

7037_tower01.jpg

7037_tower02.jpg

A knight readies himself for battle!

7037_detail01.jpg

My favourite model from the set, the wicked Orc's siege tower:

7037_siege01.jpg

7037_siege03.jpg

Please note that for the purposes of display I mounted the Orc's banner onto a small cone set on the top platform of the siege tower. This doesn't come with the set but saves any Orcs having to hold onto it all he time! There are other areas it can be placed without using extra parts.

Features

Both models look great and have excellent features. The set as a whole has great playability and seems to have been concieved with a storyline: the Crown Knight's have a captured Orc within the walls of their tower so the Orc army has been sent out to recover him... or are they merely after the gold the knights keep horded away?!

The Orc's siege tower has a powerful ram - spring-loaded by the simple arrangement of an elastic band - so pulling it back sends it flying out the front, knocking down the wall on the side of the knight's tower...

7037_feature02.jpg

...and releasing the captive Orc!

7037_feature03.jpg

The floor panels inside the prison are laid over a lip on the inside of the collapsible wall, so fall in when they're not supported.

7037_feature01.jpg

There's a string at the rear for extending the boarding ramp...

7037_feature04.jpg

...and letting a fearsome Orc warrior charge across!

7037_detail02.jpg

Flick-fire action! The battle heats up as the Orcs close in!

7037_feature05.jpg

The Minifigures

The Crown Knights:

7037_figures01.jpg

I really like the Crown Knights. They're metallic helmets look great and they come with nice accessories. The archer has a double printed head with a frightened look on the other side too! I'm not surprised, I'd be frightened when staring over the ramparts at these...

The Orcs:

7037_figures02.jpg

These guys really do look the part, worthy advesaries to the Crown Knights! The details are superb: the printed elements, weapons and helmets, all set the Orcs aside on the battlefield. The set comes with a great new molded armour neckpiece too. The mighty Orc leader looks wicked in his full battlegear!

Overview

There's so much to this set it's hard not to be impressed. The Orc's siege engine is a thing of beauty (or terror!) and would look great on any battlefield. The Crown Knight's tower although basic, looks good and has great playability. I'm a big fan of the new Castle knights and fantasy minifigures and the inclusion of five of them is just enough for this set and as a booster to any army.

At £19.99 in the UK this set is well worth the money for content and quality. I'd highly recommmend this set as a must-have purchase for anyone :laugh:

A final shot of the siege tower with a host of Orcs ready for battle:

7037_detail03.jpg

I hope you enjoyed my review, I'll be posting my next one for 7040 Dwarves Mine Defender soon!

I got this set in the spring during my "buy every new Castle set available"-season. Granted, I couldn't afford all of them, but I do have most of them now.

Anyway, I love the action elements to this set, and the siege tower really does look wicked. I'd like to attach the Crownie tower to the King's Castle to see how it fits, but I unfortunately don't own that set (yet). :hmpf_bad:

I also love the turning head of the soldier, and I've used it in my Princess Quest-comic as well, along with the turning head of the princess. The Troll Leader brings good variety to the army of trolls, but they still could use another face type and more torso options.

It's a nice review, in any case, although the set pretty much speaks for itself. :wink:

Hey, good review and good photos. I also got this set just recently, and I wasn't very enthusiastic about it at the beginning, but after I built it I could appreciate it. The siege engine is very nice, but my complaint has do with the proportions of the knight's tower in respect to the trolls' machine - it's a bit smaller, and less bulkier. That complaint has to go with some other sets too. For example the troll warship is really humongous - it feels like it can load the evil wizard's tower and sail off. Other than that - a good set, I like it, 4/5 from me.

Excellent review and your pictures are very good, I look forward to seeing more review. I really like this set I got it some time ago and keep meaning to post some pictures of it going up against some of the older castles.

Very nice review Pedro! You beat me to it. There was a review done about January, but i wanted to have a go, just haven't opened the box yet.....

Great pics and well demonstrated action elements too.

I rate this as one of the coolest Castle sets just for its playability and 5 figures.

This will def add to my Orc army, and i may purchase more of this set if they dont release a Orc BP.

Keep up the good work! :thumbup:

Very nice review Pedro! You beat me to it. There was a review done about January, but i wanted to have a go, just haven't opened the box yet.....

Great pics and well demonstrated action elements too.

I rate this as one of the coolest Castle sets just for its playability and 5 figures.

This will def add to my Orc army, and i may purchase more of this set if they dont release a Orc BP.

Keep up the good work! :thumbup:

For now, there is the Impulse set... :pir-laugh:

Great review and excellent photography, I love this set, as it has many good features and the Siege tower is the best TLC one yet!

Thanks again! :grin:

I dont suppose you have seen the Troll Impulse in Aus yet?

nah, got it in Singapore when I was on a business trip, got like 10 of the things now. :laugh:

They're 6.50 sing

Great review! This is an awesome set. Besides knocking down the wall at the side, can the battering ram do any other damage to the tower (ex, reducing it to rubble bricks)? And why can't the orc just jump out of the hole in the back? Do they need to do that much unnecessary damage to the tower? :laugh:

When I first saw this topic, I thought, "Oh, great, another review of this set..."

However I'm glad you posted it now, your pics are great and, well, it was just a generally good review! I'm looking forward to seeing more... :sweet:

~Peace

Pedro, for your first review, you have amaze me with your photo session and the strucutre of your review. I am very impressed by your high quality pictures. You have done an excellent job! :thumbup:

I love the Tower Raid very much, as it offers high playability. With the wall and flooring, falling down, when the ram hits the wall, it's quite interesting to play with. The mechanism of the ram is very fun to play with as well. I will try and pull back and released it, to knock a row of soldiers. This is one of my favourite sets in Castle 2008. Well done.

Pedro, for your first review, you have amaze me with your photo session and the strucutre of your review. I am very impressed by your high quality pictures. You have done an excellent job! :thumbup:

I completely agree. This is an amazing review - bits of humor, great photography, and detailed descriptions/photos.

Based upon this review I've placed an order for this set (along with some convincing from Amazon's 20% sale :classic: ). The only drawbacks in this set that I can see concerns the tower with it being 1) small compared to the seige tower and 2) missing a few walls. However, this is also the joy of LEGO as one can simply purchase a few bricks and build their own walls and/or expand the tower's size (or even attach it to a castle). Of course, this increases the price of the set, but considering how cheap bricks are on BrickLink, Tower Raid is still a very good value.

I hope you continue doing reviews, pedro.

I have one of these and must say that this is THE best Castle set in the theme, and the most useful parts pack for its size yet. :laugh: