Angeli

Largest fantasy castle diorama?

Hi, what is the largest LEGO fantasy diorama in the world? Largest by width and length, not height (so largest by the number of baseplates)

What is the largest fantasy diorama that you know?

I want to build one, and I need the data to know

My plan was 12x12 48x48 baseplates, but I can change that

I imagine it would be a collaborative build at an event. Just the 144 48x48 baseplates are going to cost about 1000 Euro, assuming about 6 Euro a piece for second hand, and that is not considering shipping. To cover 48x48 studs in something interesting is likely to be at least 100 Euro, probably multiple 100s of Euros for buildings or forests. But it is not just the cost of the parts, but the need for a large space to display it. 

2 hours ago, MAB said:

I imagine it would be a collaborative build at an event. Just the 144 48x48 baseplates are going to cost about 1000 Euro, assuming about 6 Euro a piece for second hand, and that is not considering shipping. To cover 48x48 studs in something interesting is likely to be at least 100 Euro, probably multiple 100s of Euros for buildings or forests. But it is not just the cost of the parts, but the need for a large space to display it. 

the price and the exhibiting space are not the factor. What I need is the size of the largest fantasy diorama , or at least largest you or other AFOLs know

But if you are interested, here is calculation: around 20.000 - 24.000 eur is what I have planed to set aside for this project. this includes almost 2m dragon in the middle, and up to 3m tall towers. Displeyd on events all around the Europe, starting from September. 12x12 with circle of 2 baseplates deep under the table, so 80 more (224 all together). when I do dioramas I count around 100 eur per baseplate to be good, 200 eur per baseplate to be amazing, this includes everything

Posted (edited)

This display from my AFOL group had about 306 x 32by32 baseplates area. There were a number of us who put it together for the Fan Fusion 2023 in Phoenix. It is probably not the biggest ever but it was pretty big.

Edited by durazno33

1 hour ago, durazno33 said:

This display from my AFOL group had about 306 x 32by32 baseplates area. There were a number of us who put it together for the Fan Fusion 2023 in Phoenix. It is probably not the biggest ever but it was pretty big

wow, tnx, it looks great :)
306 32x32 is equivalent of 136 48x48 ((306/9)x4)

Anyone knows a bigger one?

That's a really nice diorama.  Some really nice smaller builds in it.  The gothic cathedral, among other things, really caught my eye.  Nicely done.

Oddly enough, in raw studdage, 144 48x48 baseplates (331776 total stud surface area) is quite comparable to 306 (51 x 6?) 32x32 baseplates (313344 studs).  I have a feeling neither is a true largest, but both are impressive.

2 hours ago, sporadic said:

That's a really nice diorama.  Some really nice smaller builds in it.  The gothic cathedral, among other things, really caught my eye.  Nicely done.

Oddly enough, in raw studdage, 144 48x48 baseplates (331776 total stud surface area) is quite comparable to 306 (51 x 6?) 32x32 baseplates (313344 studs).  I have a feeling neither is a true largest, but both are impressive.

I have already did 12x12 dioramas, here is one of them:

Elves

And 12x12 isn't set in stone - I can go wider and longer, but every row adds 12 more baseplates, which is a nice costs adding :) So I would like it to be the biggest one, but just barely :)

3 hours ago, Angeli said:

And 12x12 isn't set in stone - I can go wider and longer, but every row adds 12 more baseplates, which is a nice costs adding :) So I would like it to be the biggest one, but just barely :)

Yeah, totally makes sense.  Though, if you're trying to break a record, you might have a problem.  I just did a bit of googling and found this:  https://www.belloflostsouls.net/2024/01/150-million-piece-record-breaking-lord-of-the-rings-lego-diorama.html

Might need to go a tad bigger ;).  Though, despite what the article says, I don't think that is all Lego.  Guinness World records does list it (https://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/world-records/641772-largest interlocking-plastic-bricks diorama), but lists a Star Wars diorama (https://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/world-records/463525-largest-lego®-brick-diorama#:~:text=The display was a 3,4 ft 5 in) tall.) as the largest Lego diorama.  Only thing I can conclude is the LOTR one isn't 'all Lego', because it's way bigger than the Star Wars one.  So I'm not sure what to think.

I don't know anything about records, really, but you got me curious and I wanted to share what I discovered.  Hope it helps.

3 hours ago, sporadic said:

Yeah, totally makes sense.  Though, if you're trying to break a record, you might have a problem.  I just did a bit of googling and found this:  https://www.belloflostsouls.net/2024/01/150-million-piece-record-breaking-lord-of-the-rings-lego-diorama.html

Might need to go a tad bigger ;).  Though, despite what the article says, I don't think that is all Lego.  Guinness World records does list it (https://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/world-records/641772-largest interlocking-plastic-bricks diorama), but lists a Star Wars diorama (https://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/world-records/463525-largest-lego®-brick-diorama#:~:text=The display was a 3,4 ft 5 in) tall.) as the largest Lego diorama.  Only thing I can conclude is the LOTR one isn't 'all Lego', because it's way bigger than the Star Wars one.  So I'm not sure what to think.

I don't know anything about records, really, but you got me curious and I wanted to share what I discovered.  Hope it helps.

the Staer Wars one is done by frined from RLUG RoLug, from Romania, literary week or two ago :) Check their facebook page :)
to actually make it bigger then theirs diorama only needs to be 18x18 :) which is 324 baseplates
I was thinking of making 12x12 as a first thought, but second option was 40x8 (48x48) (that is more than 15 m long), for easier displey build

---

Regarding LOTR one (not really LOTR but ok, "inspired by", but they put everything inside, on 0:10 you can clearly see Palace Cinema modular, with all modern stuff on it (lower right corner)) they are hugely blowing up their numbers. that surface they say they have is around 1326 baseplates.

If they really used 150 million of pieces, than each baseplate would have 113.000 bricks.
If the use only 1x1 plates to build everything (and they didn;t seen from video), as one baseplate has 48x48 studs = 2304 studs, it would mean the whole diorama would be lifted by 49 plates (which is little more trhan 16 cm high)

I have A LOT of experience with dioramas, and I estimate 1/100 of what is mentioned was used, so around one and a half million bricks.

Also, it is not all LEGO, and not all real lego, but copycat products (check on video 0:10 that statue is not LEGO)

0:41 those flags are not original LEGO, but that is ok

I still find the whole build impressive and like it, and even thought it could be that not everything is LEGO, this can be my Nemesis :D

...so 1440 baseplates would be biggest fantasy castle diorama
60x24 48x48
that means my diorama needs to be by 22.8 m x  9 m

It would cost me around 140.000 eur, and I would need 12-24 months to build it

Not Fantasy, but there's a huge model of a Victorian factory at the Manchester New Hampshire SEE Science Center

https://see-sciencecenter.org/the-lego-millyard-project/

On 5/22/2024 at 4:47 AM, Angeli said:

the Staer Wars one is done by frined from RLUG RoLug, from Romania, literary week or two ago :) Check their facebook page :)
to actually make it bigger then theirs diorama only needs to be 18x18 :) which is 324 baseplates
I was thinking of making 12x12 as a first thought, but second option was 40x8 (48x48) (that is more than 15 m long), for easier displey build

---

Regarding LOTR one (not really LOTR but ok, "inspired by", but they put everything inside, on 0:10 you can clearly see Palace Cinema modular, with all modern stuff on it (lower right corner)) they are hugely blowing up their numbers. that surface they say they have is around 1326 baseplates.

If they really used 150 million of pieces, than each baseplate would have 113.000 bricks.
If the use only 1x1 plates to build everything (and they didn;t seen from video), as one baseplate has 48x48 studs = 2304 studs, it would mean the whole diorama would be lifted by 49 plates (which is little more trhan 16 cm high)

I have A LOT of experience with dioramas, and I estimate 1/100 of what is mentioned was used, so around one and a half million bricks.

Also, it is not all LEGO, and not all real lego, but copycat products (check on video 0:10 that statue is not LEGO)

0:41 those flags are not original LEGO, but that is ok

I still find the whole build impressive and like it, and even thought it could be that not everything is LEGO, this can be my Nemesis :D

...so 1440 baseplates would be biggest fantasy castle diorama
60x24 48x48
that means my diorama needs to be by 22.8 m x  9 m

It would cost me around 140.000 eur, and I would need 12-24 months to build it

That's not Lego