21 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

• 1 - Poor
    • 2 - Below Average
    • 3 - Average
    • 4 - Above Average
    • 5 - Outstanding

Hello all Eurobricks members and Town Lovers,

Today, I will be doing up a review on Trail Ranger set. This is a very small set, and can be considered as part of current Impulse set series. This ranger vehicle is always on the move, making sure everything is in order! With his trusty mini-jeep, he is able to travel to different points at a very relative fast speed. :classic:

Name: Trail Ranger

Theme: LEGO System / Town

Year: 1994

Pieces: 34

Minifigs: 1

Price: USD$3.25

An image of a 6514, Trail Ranger

1.jpg

Let the ride begins

9.jpg

Trail Ranger is a 4-studs wide vehicle and looks very nice and wonderful with its yellow combination. Somehow, this design reminded me of the Adventurers theme and Indiana Jones theme. Quite handy to make use of this vehicle to travel rough terrain. Great for traveling long expedition. :sweet:

The driver wears a green vest with patch pockets on both sides. Personally, I like the design of his vest. If you have noticed, he is wearing a blue sunglass and stubble pattern on its face. Just to add in abit of interesting information. This head design is only available in most town sets from 1993 to 1994. After that, this design is no longer in use. I wonder why? :tongue:

Simple design

8.jpg

This is a very simple design that made used of mostly yellow bricks. Not a very big and complicated vehicle, I am sure most of you are able to do reverse engineering on this set without much diffculty though. However, locating the yellow car base can be quite a problem. :sadnew:

My favourite part

7.jpg

These tilted blue panel are great for doing MOCs for other cars that can be used as a windscreen. Not a very rare part, but an useful part indeed. :classic:

Different angles of the vehicle

5.jpg

4.jpg

6.jpg

Ready to go for patrol

2.jpg

Summary review

Playability: 7.5/10 (Not much playability involved, except using it to cruise down the roads)

Design: 8/10 (Very very simple design. It's just an impulse set, what can you expect?)

Price: 10/10 (A very inexpensive set based on the 1994 pricing. Great way to buy many mini-size jeeps to sell in your town)

Overall: 8.5/10 (This vehicle is a "nice to have" kind of vehicle. Well, I love the simplicity, but its defintely not a must to have in every town.)

I gave it a "4" based on my Review Score Card. :wink: What about yours?

Hope everyone of you enjoyed reading this simple review of mine. Comments and Critics are strongly welcomed.

Pictures can be found in My Brickshelf (When moderated)

It seems yours had been driving around in the desert a lot lately :tongue: anyhow, i also owned this nifty set when i was a child and always liked playing with it. It mostly was used in my town as courier car and such stuff. I wish TLG would start again with making such sets with civilian cars. :cry_happy:

It seems yours had been driving around in the desert a lot lately :tongue: anyhow, i also owned this nifty set when i was a child and always liked playing with it. It mostly was used in my town as courier car and such stuff. I wish TLG would start again with making such sets with civilian cars. :cry_happy:

Opps, my vehicle had gone through a terrible sandstorm earlier, and was not in time for the car wash before taking its exhibition shots. :tongue:

I always used this set, as a patrol car. And now, this set is part of my Indiana Jones companions. Although the face of the driver looks odd when you compared against these fleshies, but I always thought of this vehicle using as an "Outback" as well. :wink:

nice review! thanks!

I always wanted the 6514 for the minifig. In Austria there's been some kind of contest, in which you had to search this minifig in different catalogue-panorama-pics. (Can't remember that much, though...)

I finally got it 10 years later on bricklink... :classic:

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

i remember this contest! The figure was called Max Timebuster i think and always was hidden somewhere and beeing searched by the police. I guess this is why i always had the feeling all minifigs with this face were bad guys :tongue:

Edited by metalandi

White Fang you and Brickster are starting to become my two favorite people :classic: I really love the classic reviews, You guys are helping me relive my childhood.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Thank you for the review, WhiteFang! :thumbup:

I have all been into Space at the time the set was released, so I don´t own many of those town sets.

I wonder that you are showing 7 photos for just 34 bricks. That is what I would call an excellent pic-per-brick ratio. :oh::laugh:

Well, 3 pics would have been enough for such a small set, eh?

Summary review

Playability: 7.5/10 (Not much playability involved, except using it to cruise down the roads)

Design: 8/10 (Very very simple design. It's just an impulse set, what can you expect?)

Price: 10/10 (A very inexpensive set based on the 1994 pricing. Great way to buy many mini-size jeeps to sell in your town)

Overall: 8.5/10 (This vehicle is a "nice to have" kind of vehicle. Well, I love the simplicity, but its defintely not a must to have in every town.)

I gave it a "4" based on my Review Score Card. :wink: What about yours?

I cannot follow you in your evaluation.

On the one hand you say 'not much playability', but rate it 7.5 and the design is described 'very very simple', but still has 8 out of 10 points. :wacko:

I agree with your explanation but would give it 5/10 for playability (or even less) and 4/10 for design, resulting in an overall rate of 6/10.

In my opinion that would suite this set better. It´s nice, but there´s nothing really special worth mentioning on this set. :look:

I rated it "3".

btw.: You should consider dusting your sets... :wink:

Thanks for all of your kind words and support! :sweet:

I wonder that you are showing 7 photos for just 34 bricks. That is what I would call an excellent pic-per-brick ratio. :oh::laugh:

Well, 3 pics would have been enough for such a small set, eh?

I was thinking, even for an impulse set or small set, it deserved different angles shot. Even though the bricks is limited, I felt it deserved some bit of attention to add on some more nice pictures. :tongue:

I cannot follow you in your evaluation.

On the one hand you say 'not much playability', but rate it 7.5 and the design is described 'very very simple', but still has 8 out of 10 points. :wacko:

I agree with your explanation but would give it 5/10 for playability (or even less) and 4/10 for design, resulting in an overall rate of 6/10.

In my opinion that would suite this set better. It´s nice, but there´s nothing really special worth mentioning on this set. :look:

I rated it "3".

Holodoc, I appericate your honest views and towards my evaluation system. Firstly, I must apologise that I am trying to improve the presentation format of the evaluation system. I used 3 critical factors which are playability, design and price. For every score given out of 10, I will give a very brief comment beside it.

Playability refer to your imagination and creativity, of what you could do to play with this offical set, without modification or add-on. Trail ranger could allow us to have a new vehicle type in a town. It can be used it for Indiana Jones adventure, Adventurers and Outback, in my opnion, due to its design. Although the design is very simple, but I increase the rating much higher, as I compared it as an Impulse set standards. That's why, my rating for design is slightly higher than playability. As for pricing, this is a very subjective matter, which differ greatly due to currency exchange and inflation.

If my rating or final score has any misleading, it will not be very effective as well. Most of the time, I tend not to be too harsh to the sets. Thanks for explaining to me, on how you rated this set. It's nice to know how other members felt, and this is how a review should be, exchanging views and ideas. :wink:

btw.: You should consider dusting your sets... :wink:

Thanks Doctor! All my old town sets required heavy cleaning. :laugh: