Lego Tom

What is your favorite Technic Set and why?

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, Toastie said:

Now, with regard to VMs, serial ports, and so on: If you want to program these beauties, just install the BricxCC suite on any modern (Win11, 64 bit - works) computer, get an USB2Serial adapter, plug that in, run device manager, find the COM port number of that adapter, edit the address to < COM 8 (if necessary, simply move anything modern occupying the low COM port address space to port numbers > 8), run BricxCC, choose CM, choose the COM port of your adapter and then program, remotely control, monitor ... your CM PBrick.

I've never tried that software before, I'll give it a shot next time I've got my LEGO at hand. 
But the main fun, honestly comes from the software. You just can't beat those witty characters and cool cutscenes.

Edited by Carsten Svendsen

1 hour ago, Carsten Svendsen said:

you just can't beat those witty characters and cool cutscenes.

Oh yes, that is true. The whole CM environment is so cool.

I have the original software (not) running (on Win11 but) on my Toshiba Satellite 4090, and I really admire the work they put into that true adventure. CM was before RCX, and it was much more play-oriented than programming. More or less the same approach TLG tried (again, but in reverse order) with the introduction of the Scout PBrick after the RCX. Both, the CM and the Scout have rather limited memory space of accommodating about 400 LEGO byte codes - but you can do a lot(!) with that, because you can tap into the countless built-in routines for sound, light and whatnot. I really like this approach: CM and Scout for having fun, RCX for heavy lifting - I have no idea, though, how many lifts were done ...

But you need to fire up your CM bricks again - even the moment it recognizes the tower = computer is a blast.

Best,
Thorsten

For me it is:

8043: I spent hours building different attachments and playing with it.

8110: This really gave me a kick to build different attachments and try to improve official sets.

Posted (edited)

Hi! 

I'll just mention my list from the sets i have since the wishlist is massive:

42009 mobile crane, this was the first big set i got and what really got me into the hobby. It's so impressive and sturdy when built, just feels really cool to play with. Awesome B model too with decent playability. 

8258 crane truck - always admired and wanted this one, finally managed to grab it this year in good condition. Every time i want to take it apart to do b-model or alternates it just looks so nice i don't have the heart to do it!

8109 is a close third for me, very nostalgic as this was my first lego technic build.

So many beautiful building techniques in these and i'm really attached to them. 

Edited by Sickbrush

Posted (edited)

8868 Air Tech Claw Rig. I got in as a Christmas present from my dear parents in 1994. From aesthetic point of view, it has a clear and beautiful (old) design. Looks like the real thing, even sounds like the real thing. Compressor and pneumatic for the first time. Authenticity, because the pneumatic design comes closest to real one's hydraulic system. Challenging building and outstanding playability. Still my favourite Technic set.

Edited by Interceptor

16 minutes ago, Interceptor said:

8868 Air Tech Claw Rig. I got in as a Christmas present in 1994. From aesthetic point of view, it has a clear and beautiful (old) design. Looks like the real thing, even sounds like the real thing. Compressor and pneumatic for the first time. Authenticity, because the pneumatic design comes closest to real one's hydraulic system. Challenging building and outstanding playability. Still my favourite Technic set.

Funny you should say that, I haven't ever seen a truck that looks like 8868. I care much more about mechanical authenticity than looking authentic so it doesn't bother me, but it's almost like the designer invented the whole concept of this truck because they knew it would make a great set. I could be wrong though. Do you know of any trucks vehicle that 8868 could have been based on?

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, allanp said:

Funny you should say that, I haven't ever seen a truck that looks like 8868. I care much more about mechanical authenticity than looking authentic so it doesn't bother me, but it's almost like the designer invented the whole concept of this truck because they knew it would make a great set. I could be wrong though. Do you know of any trucks vehicle that 8868 could have been based on?

Here you go:

YaTjT1fjbbXwxpVRlc30qeFf.jpg.8391a3918f07719323363573c53752a1.jpg

https://www.nuttauction.com/auctions/6172/lot/3163-1995-mac-truck-with-160b-barco-log-loader-truck-has-mac-250-engine-loader-has-cummins-4-cy-engine

54ed7583-8e8f-4606-a6fb-2f1a76f66a9a.jpg.6eef95c660cbb010a90d5ae21386bca4.jpg

This kind of truck does exist, it is called truck mounted log loader. You will find several examples via google.

I am sure it was not invented by the (otherwise brilliant) Technic designer of the set, Olav Krøigaard.

Edited by Interceptor

Posted (edited)

Oh wow, one of my all time favorite sets and I didn't even know it was based on a real thing! Now I feel dumb. You learn something new every day :laugh:

058ccc7a5d72a24f138a446e9f0f0a09.jpg

Edited by allanp

10 minutes ago, allanp said:

Oh wow, one of my all time favorite sets and I didn't even know it was based on a real thing! Now I feel dumb. You learn something new every day :laugh:

058ccc7a5d72a24f138a446e9f0f0a09.jpg

Yeah, this is more close to the LEGO version. :thumbup:

5 hours ago, allanp said:

I've also seen trucks similar to that at work in quarries, picking up stones to load onto flatbeds for shipping to landscaping companies