• 5 - Outstanding

Classic Train

Set#: 3225

Theme: 9V Trains

Year Released: 1998

Piece Count: 281

Minifigs: 3

List Price: $66

I wanted to veer off the track a little bit and revive an old review of Set 3225 Classic Train. Additional information has been added as part of this 2008 review of 3225.

Back in the early 2000s, I needed a small train for my western town layout and chose none other than 3225 Classic Train released in 1998. Sure, I could have chosen a MOT black steam engine with coal car, some green passenger coaches, and a nice red caboose, but there's something nostalgic about this little classic train. In fact, this train reminds me of the first 12V trains to hit blue track in the '70s (725 released in 1974 to be exact). This set originally sold for $66 U.S.D. available through LSAH (but I didn't purchase until 2002 over Ebay). I did get it MISB for $73 which was not a bad deal.

This train includes four cars: a small engine, a tipper, a gondola, and a coach (some call a caboose); three mini-figs, a wheel-barrow, and a good variety of tools/cargo to load aboard the train. This set did include a motor but no track or speed regulator.

Front of box:

3225box.jpg

Back of box:

3225boxback.jpg

The engine of this train reminds me more of a small German steam engine with its black color and red trim. It's build directly on the train motor using various small plates/bricks. The instructions do NOT include a way to add a light to the engine. Pictured without stickers:

engine2.jpg

I love the large container of the yellow tipper:

yellowtipper.jpg

Tilting the tipper releases seven round 1x1 grey bricks. The only issue is that it sometimes sways open when running the train fast around the track:

yellowtipper2.jpg

The brown gondola is very useful for transporting cargo. Included are two brown crates: one with 2 clear glasses and the other with a chain, a mail box with 1x2 mail plate, a garbage can, and a brown chest with a single 1x2 money plate.

freight1.jpg

A view of the gondola from the top:

freight2.jpg

The red coach is my favorite car. It has a removable roof and three green chairs for passengers. I did not attach stickers to both side walls. The windows are shaded blue which gives the car a cool look:

passenger1.jpg

Lifting off the roof makes this wagon very "playable" - fun to add passengers and watch them circle the track.

passenger2.jpg

The wheel-barrow to load the train:

wagon.jpg

This set includes three figs. I really like these figs:

figs.jpg

And a nice selection of cargo:

cargo.jpg

Although not an "official" Wild West set, here's some images of the train letting steam out in Gold City:

t3225wildwesttown.jpg

tengine.jpg

ttipper.jpg

tgondola.jpg

tcoach3.jpg

Summary

Before purchasing, I read a few reviews which weren't very good. Some criticized this set for not containing track and a speed regulator (making it incomplete) - fine for those who already have it. This set truly brings back early memories of Lego trains. It's fun and fairly quick to build (compared to a BNSF or a Super Chief). The set includes some very useful train parts and nice colored elements. I enjoyed building this train and setting up a layout around my western town. I think this is a nice nostalgic set for those of you who may look for one on Ebay; and lastly, its a fun train to run with its figs, accessories, and "small" narrow gage look.

Larry Pieniazek of Adequate.com wrote a great story about this train as part of a set review, a number of years ago. Check it out:

It's a sunny day in October 1898. With a shrill whistle, the noon local crests the hill and rounds the final curve into Durango. Exhaust huffs from the cylinders as the 0-4-0T slows to a stop, temporarily shrouded in a cloud of exhaust steam which the wind and sun make short work of.

The bright goldwork on the engine gleams in the sunlight of the little Colorado mining town. The <-O-> logo and gold number 3225 in the side of the engine fairly glisten, as well they might, picked out in gold filigree. Life is good and the 20th century is almost here!

The nattily turned out engineer in his yellow uniform blows a sharp blast on the cab mounted air horn to summon the local agent. Hard hat on, and clad in newfangled reflective gear the agent wheels the station barrow over to receive the urgent ore samples from the dump car, and begins to unload the high priority contents, with the help of the local mining agent clad in his jaunty white vest and striped tee.

The mail is here, and what's this? Two crystal chalices have arrived for the mine owner's mansion, as well as some much needed saftey chain and the weekly payroll. The engineer clears the paperwork in his caboose and releases the freight to the agent. Just another day's work for the unsung heroes of the trusty <-O-> line.

His complete review can be found here: 3225 Set Review on Adequate.com.

A very nice train review!

I had seen this set before in one of your Wild West set up. Glad you share it with us again. This set is very nice and promising. I had never own a train set before in my collections. Recently, I understand the difference between "RC" and "9V" train sets. Although I am not an expert in grading train sets, but I am just stating my views as a "greenhorn". :sweet:

This set has its advantages and disadvantages. To be fair, let me go through its advantages, from its review.

The first compartment, which is the engine carriage as well. I love the antique black and red look, that used coal to fuel its power. Nice and classic, without excessive use of stickers! I am never a sticker lover, just stick it if its necessary.

The large yellow container, is a great way to stow away debris, rocks, gold or whatever. I will leave it to your imagination. If I were to use it, I will probably use it in my Dwarf Mine, to carry gold and sliver, letting them push it back and forth.

The stores compartment comes with a hefty good accessories, like treasure chest, brown crates, mail box and etc. A good way to seize good accessories to match with your MOCs or Town set-up. Anyway, the stores compartment do not restrict carrying such goods only. :wink:

The red coach compartment, is my favourite of them all. The trans-blue window, gives us a great inside to its interior, where it can sit in 3 passengers comfortably. I will probably want to get this set, for its red coach, and add on 3 to 5 compartments, making it as a red passenger train. :laugh:

The mini-figs and the wheel barrow is really very sweet. This set appeared in my dark age, and I never had the slightest impression of seeing this set before, apart from viewing it in Brickster Wild West set up. :sweet:

As for its disadvantage, it will be the tracks and the speed regulator. I am surprised for a complete train set, like this did not come with essential train parts. It will not be good to have this, if this is your first train set. However, if this is not your first train set, I am sure you have plentiful of tracks, for this new model to run into your town. I wouldn't mind having this set. :sweet:

Furthermore, I will like to emphasized that this set is worth USD$66, which is affordable in my opnion. And, I believed the main reason for its "low cost" is due to its tracks and speed regulator. I will give this a "5", mainly for its red carriage and the classic engine facade, if you include a "poll" for it. :blush:

Thanks Brickster, do educate members like me on train issues, and advice me what train sets to look out for in the future. :wink:

I wanted to veer off the track a little bit and revive an old review of Set 3225 Classic Train. Additional information has been added as part of this 2008 review of 3225.

I believed you are referring to 1998 review of 3225. I thought it was going to re-release again in 2008. :tongue:

What was Lego thinking with the fake tracks in the pictures for all the train sets released during this period? Did they actually think that this was a viable play alternative to buying actual tracking? Or were they just making sure that you didn't think you were getting track pieces included inside the box...

It's a very nice little train, by the way, great review. I like the little story :thumbup: . I only miss those connecting rods, which are on reallife steamengines. That's why I've rebuild mine for 12v track.

the_3225_loc.jpg

As for its disadvantage, it will be the tracks and the speed regulator. I am surprised for a complete train set, like this did not come with essential train parts. It will not be good to have this, if this is your first train set. However, if this is not your first train set, I am sure you have plentiful of tracks, for this new model to run into your town. I wouldn't mind having this set.

I always enjoy reading your comments and thoughts White Fang.

As someone who has a lot of track and a few speed regulators, I appreciate not having to pay for these again as part of this set. The drawback is for those wanting a complete set - who need the track and transformer. Then again, one could always purchase these separately if they need them.

I will like to emphasized that this set is worth USD$66, which is affordable in my opnion. And, I believed the main reason for its "low cost" is due to its tracks and speed regulator.

Exactly - just like the High Speed Train that came out a few years ago - the price was around $85. Lego also offered the complete set.

I will give this a "5", mainly for its red carriage and the classic engine facade, if you include a "poll" for it. :blush:

I love placing figs in the little red carriage. They look good behind the large trans. blue windows.

I accidently posted this set in the wrong forum before reviewing WF. :wink: I have added the poll and changed the title.

Do educate members like me on train issues, and advice me what train sets to look out for in the future. :wink:

My pleasure - but I lack a lot of knowledge in regard to the 12V sets - as I never really owned one. I do know 9V pretty well though.

What was Lego thinking with the fake tracks in the pictures for all the train sets released during this period? Did they actually think that this was a viable play alternative to buying actual tracking? Or were they just making sure that you didn't think you were getting track pieces included inside the box...

I think the intent was just to show the items contained in the set, but it probably looked awkward without showing any track. I never had an issue with the boxart.

It's a very nice little train, by the way, great review. I like the little story :thumbup: . I only miss those connecting rods, which are on reallife steamengines. That's why I've rebuild mine for 12v track.

Thanks Panda, although I can't take credit for the great story. I like your 12V layout a lot - nice rebuild. :thumbup:

Thanks for all the great comments. I hope more take time to provide feedback.

Again a great topic/poll, TheBrickster! :sweet:

I gave this set a 5:

It's really a :wub: :wub: :wub: set which fills at bit the missing of a Western train in the WW theme. (That does not mean that I wouldn't like a new Western train :wink: !) I'm very lucky that I bought it some weeks ago from ebay.

There are three different waggons and a little engine - everything you need for a nice train :thumbup: - and the desgin is perfect, too :oh: !

Of course the minifigs don't go with the Western theme very well - but that doesn't disturb me since there are only three.

IMO excellent set :thumbup: which should really be redesigned :wink: !

Klaus-Dieter

I gave this set a 5:

It's really a :wub: :wub: :wub: set which fills at bit the missing of a Western train in the WW theme.

I thought you might like this set KD.

I'm very lucky that I bought it some weeks ago from ebay.

Were you able to get one MISB? If so, if you don't mind me asking, what kind of price?

Were you able to get one MISB? If so, if you don't mind me asking, what kind of price?

No, it came without the box. The train is used - but in a very good condition (nearly all stickers are there :thumbup: ). I had to pay 90 Euros for it. Imo it's not cheap but it isn't too expensive since the 9 V motor is included, too. I had the luck to buy a very reasonably priced transformer and some good 9 V tracks, too - so that I all in all had to pay around 120 Euros for the train, the transformer and a nice track circle. And I think that that's really ok since all the new trains cost minimum 100 Euros. :wink:

Klaus-Dieter

Edited by Klaus-Dieter