Sign in to follow this  
JoKo

[WIP] 1:5 Motorcycle engine and frame motorized

Hi!

I'm motorcycle enthusiast, rider, sometimes racer. So the 1:5 scale motorcycle line is for me a blessing. I love the new wheels and suspension. The new gearbox pieces are great too.

However I think that the good old fake engine pieces are totally out of scale at this size. A 4 cylinder at 1:5 scale would be 290 cm^3, that's cute for a supposed liter-bike. That's why a started a motorcycle MOC with this idea: to build a single cylinder engine but properly scaled and as detailed as possible. I took inspiration in the KTM 690 LC4 engine: the bore is 10% too large and the stroke 2% too small... good enough. I built a gearbox with the Yamaha mt-10 pieces. The engine has a timing chain and camshaft that pushes on a lightbrick (can be disabled)

In order to demonstrate the working engine and gearbox I built a stand with power up hub and XL motor. When the motorcycle is on the stand the fake engine is driven through the alternator rotor, on the left side.

Unlike the official sets the engine and gearbox is more of less skeletonized and mechanism can be seen through. The cylinder itself can be built solid or skeletonised, or even 1/4 cutaway like on these pictures.

embed?resid=5D1BF898A75E3C29!951&authkeyembed?resid=5D1BF898A75E3C29!952&authkey

embed?resid=5D1BF898A75E3C29!953&authkey

embed?resid=5D1BF898A75E3C29!954&authkey

So what are your thoughts? Any idea for improvement?

Edited by JoKo

Amazing! Recently I got the Yamaha bike and I'm planning to do something similar with it.

Nice job! I always like seeing these large motorcycle MOCs, and that custom piston is pretty clever too!

On 1/15/2024 at 10:19 PM, Davidz90 said:

Amazing! Recently I got the Yamaha bike and I'm planning to do something similar with it.

Thank you!

That's what I thought when I bought the BMW M1000RR !

The Yamaha is a nice set for parts. these new gearbox pieces are great even if it take a little bit more space. And more head scratching to have the gear sequance you want than classic orange wave pieces.

On 1/16/2024 at 2:32 PM, 2GodBDGlory said:

Nice job! I always like seeing these large motorcycle MOCs, and that custom piston is pretty clever too!

Thanks! I'm happy with how it turned. Thinking about using the same technic for two cylinders engines already!

Looking good!

When I saw the title I thought maybe you'd beaten me to the punch...

BigBoy%20-%20low%20steer.png