• 4 - Above Average
    • 5 - Outstanding

Fire Station

Set #: 6382

Year Released: 1980/1981

Piece Count: 368

Minifigs: 4

List Price: approx. $20

Lego's third fire station was this little gem, 6382. The set offered new design elements not previously offered in previous sets. What really stands out for me is 1x3 car doors and torsos with printed designs. A decal was used for the large sign on the building and the #1 on the hood of one of the vehicles. I think this was also the first set to offer the sliding garage mechanism, a feature that added a great amount of realism and playability. The set also included two blue doors and the new fire hose with pre-connected faucet/spicket.

Getting on to the pictures. I saved the cover of the box for this set but lost the instructions over the years. I was able to download some instructions from the web.

Here's a shot of the box cover:

01box1.jpg

And the back of the box:

02box2.jpg

The set includes four figs, three of which are fireman, and a lady who can serve as a dispatcher. As mentioned above, the torsos are printed on:

03figs.jpg

My favorite of the two vehicles included, I love the design of Fire Engine #1:

04truck1.jpg

I always loved the fire hoses included in this set. No string to have to tie or freyed ends:

05truck2.jpg

Engine #2 is this much larger engine with ladder. I like how it contains an oxygen tank and fire axe:

06big1.jpg

On the other side of the engine are two shutter doors that reveal the hose and ladder controls. These are stickers:

07big2.jpg

The ladder is much wider than previous Lego ladders and extends a good length:

08lad.jpg

I like the baseplate of this set which has the numbers ONE and TWO marking each garage:

09plate.jpg

The building is simple but has a nice design. I love the sliding garage doors:

10build1.jpg

NOTE: Notice the two windows of the 2nd floor. The actual set should have blinds on these windows. I've lost one of the stickered windows, so placed the single blinded window on the 1st floor.

Each of the two sides of the garages are the same. Here's a shot of the right side:

11build2.jpg

On the first floor is the dispatch area and a classic blue Space computer:

12in1.jpg

The 2nd floor has a bed and a chair:

13in2.jpg

Here's a shot of the entire backside:

14in3.jpg

And lastly, a shot of the entire station:

15set.jpg

This set is one of my favorite fire stations that offers a great amount of playability. Hope you enjoyed the review.

This is a great set and a great review - Thanks for doing these!

I remember my brother getting this set (I got the police station 6384 on the same day). Truly classic sets - It's a shame that I don't have them anymore although I do have the two immediate descendants of the sets...

Cheers

Rog

Great review again it's nice to see old sets reviewed. I love the control stickers there's a great level of detail this is really the second best fire station in my opinion.

Lovely!! I can't stop making comparisons between this fire station and last year's, which is also very well detailed, with great features and awesome playability. The concept design of the second one it's very much like the one reviewed here.

This is good as TLG is taking back those great values to make the new excellent sets we all are enjoying by now!

A 5/5.

the set is beautiful, both the remake and the original.

a classic and a beautiful thing, like DOS.

Edited by maiq the liar

Great review. I love tis set too, the best firestation ever made by lego. Mainly because the '80s sets are the favourite with me. Only I miss a helicopterplatvorm, well I made a little modification:

monorail-6399-closer-view-1.jpg

I am a proud owner of this set :sweet:

this is one of the best fire stations ever. What amazes me is what the designers made with only 368 pieces. You get a very nice looking building in good size, a good baseplate, 2 cars, 4 minifigs, accessories... and great alternative ideas in the back of the box (like the fire boat or helicopter).

This is a great example of Lego design.

Thanks everyone for the comments. It's great to see that you enjoy these classic reviews, esp. this set.

I made a little modification:

monorail-6399-closer-view-1.jpg

Excellent! You've also got some other very nice sets there, like that awesome monorail! You should share a review.

I am a proud owner of this set :sweet:

It's great to hear that some of you have this classic fire station. It really is a nice set with great vehicles and accessories. I also think the overall design is excellent.

I must agree great fire station, I love the fact that in the classic sets you were given a base plate and some other great idea's. I do miss the addition of base plates and alternate building idea's.

The only newer set I have seen with any alternate build photo's is the 7239 Fire Engine.

I miss back when.......

:classic:

Great review of a great set! Sadly, I don't own it. :cry_sad:

As for the alternate building idea's on the back of every box - yes, I miss that as well! :thumbdown: I really miss it!

I´m glad you are reviewing 4-digit sets now, Brickster! :wink:

This set is one of my favorite fire stations that offers a great amount of playability.

This pretty sums it up!

The firestation was one of the few sets in my childhood I owned and was NOT classic space! :grin:

I especially liked the roller doors, this was one of the first sets they came with.

In the late 80´s I sold it to my nephew. Darn, I really regret it.

When I asked him a couple of years ago if he still owned it (and I could buy it back) he also had made cash out of it. :hmpf:

I gave it a "4". There is always room for improvement, like the helipad mentioned. So it can´t be a "5" in my opinion.

Take off you rose coloured glasses. :wink:

I gave it a "4". There is always room for improvement, like the helipad mentioned. So it can´t be a "5" in my opinion.

Take off you rose coloured glasses. :wink:

You're a tough reviewer!

no question. this is a "5"

one of the best and most influencial town sets ever, imo

I honestly glad i got the latest fire station [Cant remember set number] Its waayyy better

I voted 3 its realy not that great but its ok..... :thumbup::thumbdown:

You're a tough reviewer!
I voted 3 its realy not that great but its ok.....

And you call me a tough reviewer? :laugh:

Great review, great set. Nice look, great features, very playable.

Please don't bump old topics unless you have something substantial to add. For our policy on topic bumping, see the EB FAQ. Thanks. :classic:

This brings back a lot of memories as I used to have that set when I was a kid..... Great review!

Rebuilt mine that has been buried for years (kinda just stepped out that dark closet that is labeled "The Dark Ages") Seems that I've lost the baseplate (Thank you for getting me another one Bricklink) and some of the bricks with stickers (besides the "1" sticker on the car)

It's weird how much one remembers of the design and everything even if it's 30 or so years ago since I built it the last time AND it would never be possible without the Internets 

42940631884_8656a46d2d_n.jpgSet 6382, Fire Station (1981) by Nicklas Ingels, on Flickr

Edited by ingels
I spell like hsit