Sign in to follow this  
FriedlS

Another 4WD Drift Chassis Project

Recommended Posts

Here is my new 4WD Chassis for drifting. At least it is a modification of my previous chassis and it works really good.

Propulsion: Monster Motor 1:1 gearing
Steering: Servo with positive caster

MK Battery

Weight: ca. 300g

IMG_9095IMG_9096

and a short clip of driving:

Hope you enjoy it 😊

greetings, Friedl

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

theres probably avoidable play in the steering from the 8t gears. also, did you encounter any issues with the 16t gears at the back skipping?
otherwise nice build, very compact

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Aurorasaurus said:

theres probably avoidable play in the steering from the 8t gears. also, did you encounter any issues with the 16t gears at the back skipping?
otherwise nice build, very compact

Thanks @Aurorasaurus! The play in the steering is ok, in my opinion the positive caster compensates it.

The two 8t gears were necessary, because to mount the servo between the steering arms. For the moment i haven’t a better solution.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great timing @FriedlS I am currently working on a drift car myself. Have you got any experience, advice with 1:12 in this topic? I try to create a camber axles, to have less tire contact, so it would slip easier. I am planning on using regular 56mm rubber tires with matching wheels and of course A2212 BL motor. :) Your build feels really like a drift car and you did not use tape on tires or plastic wheels, which is I really appreciate. It reminds me of one MOC -  Ford Mustang Hoonicorn, Ken Block's car, from "Anto". Keep up the great work!

Edited by Krxlion
Added another comment

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Krxlion said:

Great timing @FriedlS I am currently working on a drift car myself. Have you got any experience, advice with 1:12 in this topic? I try to create a camber axles, to have less tire contact, so it would slip easier. I am planning on using regular 56mm rubber tires with matching wheels and of course A2212 BL motor. :) Your build feels really like a drift car and you did not use tape on tires or plastic wheels, which is I really appreciate. It reminds me of one MOC -  Ford Mustang Hoonicorn, Ken Block's car, from "Anto". Keep up the great work!

Sounds interesting! Unfortunately not yet. 
 

You are right, this chassis is inspired by the model of Anto

8 hours ago, aFrInaTi0n said:

Really nice chassis. Would be interested to see the steering in detail.


Thanks a lot @aFrInaTi0n

Here are some „detailed“ pictures of the  steering:

IMG_9100IMG_9099IMG_9097

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Aurorasaurus i made an update and now the two 8t gears aren’t necessary anymore. The play in the steering is less as before.

 

IMG_9145

 

And something new, i made a *.io file and i will share it when it is available on rebrickable.

 

 

Edited by FriedlS
Pic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Friedl we have to talk, you are no good influence to me... 🤭

20231230_202842.jpg

20231230_203238.jpg

 

 

Never thought of this small scale solution + allowing for also putting metal / regular old joints in... Offset to the wheels is increased by 1 stud, but I think this can be ignored for having metal parts over plastic ones... need to find out if I can adjust for two buggy motors in the small chassis without getting much higher or wider..

so thanks for this huge inspiration already for a super small scale fwd/4wd design! 🥰🥰🥰

Edited by aFrInaTi0n

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Little update... getting a little bigger than yours & currently no caster angle, but shall get something like this (3rd party batts, servo and motors for rough size estimations and later shredding without hesitations... buwizz are flying around elsewhere and shall go in instead of the 7.4 batts.. 🙃)

Replaced beveled gears with knob cogs, as they should be able to transport more power without skipping. Also the motors are driving the main drivedrain and this is evenly distributing the power to front and rear vs your starting from the rear going to the front (not sure if it makes a differenc at all..). Axles are carbon ones (I may need to check more narrow metal joints - use some forbidden liquid reinforcement aka superglue to keep the outer axles in the frontwheel joints..

Need to adjust the steering rack one stud further to not have a too huge angle @steering..
 

Edit: I removed my pictures as I created a distinct topic for my approach..

Edited by aFrInaTi0n

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Same guess here - but the question is if my bet "pure (doubledosed) buggy power" will work with currently having no caster angle - fear is the answer may be "no".. but I guess a testdrive shall answer my questions.. Maybe doing this tomorrow..

I guess the Buwizz can' be placed any lower... 🤔

1024x324.jpg

Edited by aFrInaTi0n

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@aFrInaTi0n looks very good! Maybe the chassis is to small for two buggy motors and this big wheels when cornering. But i am looking forward to the testdrive 😊😊

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Meeeeh, 3rd party components... should have tested the servo before putting it in - it was oszilating at the 0° resting position and it warmed up pretty heavy... so I need to unbuild the front -> I may directly go for PU motor to have analogue input...

Edit: Cleared out pictures as I created my own thread for my chassis

Edited by aFrInaTi0n

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Your MOC was presented to me on YT. Looks promising! And the build is super neat and compact!

May i ask you(all drift chassis operators) a question? You all are using the wider tire-rim-combination (56145), at least on your 3D models. What about using the thinner rims (56904 + 30699)?

As these tires are harder. And how would it behave using 4 of the thinner wheels per axle, instead of just two?

Happy new year, btw.

Edited by pow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, aFrInaTi0n said:

Meeeeh, 3rd party components... should have tested the servo before putting it in - it was oszilating at the 0° resting position and it warmed up pretty heavy... so I need to unbuild the front -> I may directly go for PU motor to have analogue input...

Inbetween created a Studio model as backup for the current version... with original LEGO wheels the ground clearance even shrinks to 1, max 2mm.. :D

1024x675.png

Very cool! 👍😊

11 hours ago, pow said:

Your MOC was presented to me on YT. Looks promising! And the build is super neat and compact!

May i ask you(all drift chassis operators) a question? You all are using the wider tire-rim-combination (56145), at least on your 3D models. What about using the thinner rims (56904 + 30699)?

As these tires are harder. And how would it behave using 4 of the thinner wheels per axle, instead of just two?

Happy new year, btw.

Thanks a lot!
In my opinion the wider tires are better for drifting ( and looks better) than the thin one. 
I tried to compare it:

thin ones on all 4 wheels:
 

and here the wide ones on all 4 wheels: 


When you put tape on the thin one, drifting is easier. But in this case, i wanted to avoid tape on the wheels.

Edited by FriedlS
Link update

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FriedlS said:

When you put tape on the thin one, drifting is easier. But in this case, i wanted to avoid tape on the wheels.

Interesting! I would have expected the thinner ones to drift more controllable/better. ?_? Because i would expect harder tires to tend to slip earlier.

I don't know what's wrong with my browser, but your images are nonexistent for me.*huh* Maybe some JS issue as i have disabled a few sources.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, pow said:

Interesting! I would have expected the thinner ones to drift more controllable/better. ?_? Because i would expect harder tires to tend to slip earlier.

I don't know what's wrong with my browser, but your images are nonexistent for me.*huh* Maybe some JS issue as i have disabled a few sources.

I don’t know why the link to the flickr clips don’t appear… i am looking for a solution 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.