• 4 - Above Average
    • 5 Outstanding

Exxon Gas Station

Set #: 6375

Year Released: 1980

Piece Count: 254

Minifigs: 3

List Price: approx. $20

One of the gems of my sets from 1980 has to be the Exxon Gas Station. It has very nice colors, lots of great details, and a high level of playability.

Starting with the instructions:

01instruct1.jpg

The backside with a great picture of the complete set:

02instruct2.jpg

The set includes three minifigs including two gas station attendants and my favorite, the Urban Cowboy:

03figs.jpg

One of the best things about this set is that it includes not one, but two very detailed 4-stud wide vehicles. Here's a picture of the red one which is a two-seater:

04redcar.jpg

The car has two working doors, a hood that opens, and a little holed brick on the other side for pretending to "fill 'er up". Here's another image at an angle:

05redcar2.jpg Isn't she a nice set of wheels!

Here's the yellow car. I always liked this one better, perhaps it was the color with the black pieces in the back, although it is a one-seater:

06yelcar.jpg

The set includes four fuel pumps that are numbered (with decals) and included a string as the hose:

07pump.jpg

Here's a little accessory rack for oil and tools:

08rack.jpg

And another rack for tires:

09tires.jpg

The set had a nice Exxon logo on three 1x6 bricks:

10sign.jpg

A large jack allows the cars to be lifted high into the air for tire and under engine repairs:

11jack.jpg

I love the office with its large 5x6 window. Inside is a chair and desk.

12office.jpg

And the entire set:

13set.jpg

Happy Motoring in Legoland!

Cool set I really loved the classic town sets. This set has lots of detail, great reveiw. Do you know what is Exxon?

Cool set I really loved the classic town sets. This set has lots of detail, great reveiw. Do you know what is Exxon?

Thanks Skipper. Exxon is a big fuel company here in the US. There's a lot of Exxon gas stations throughout the country.

Nice it's like an alternative to the Shell petrol company sets we had over here in the UK. (or did you have them to?)

Edited by Skipper 24

i think we only got Shell stations in europe in the 80s... Never got this one, but it looks like a typical Lego gas station ...

once again, i just don't know how you were able to keep stickers and prints in such a great condition! i am sooooo jealous! :oh:

the tires of the cars are a problem though... it was difficult and painful to put them off the wheel and back on later... the black hat... g... i would have looooooved to have that when i was a boy...

I much prefer the Shell version of that station which had the full awning over the roadway, and the special road plate with the extra lane to pull into to fill 'er up...

Nice it's like an alternative to the Shell petrol company sets we had over here in the UK. (or did you have them to?)

We have Shell as well.

once again, i just don't know how you were able to keep stickers and prints in such a great condition! i am sooooo jealous! :oh:

Thanks, but these stickers are in pretty bad shape (esp. those on the fuel pumps).

The tires were hard to remove. In regard to the cowboy hat, I think my avatar is still wearing it. :wub::laugh:

I much prefer the Shell version of that station which had the full awning over the roadway, and the special road plate with the extra lane to pull into to fill 'er up...

I have another gas station, but I think it's an Octan.

Great review of a classic set. :thumbup:

Man, this is sure a wondeful kit, even today. The level of detail is astounding for the time, and the whole kit is really cute. :classic:

You know, I honestly don't get why some people have complained about the CITY gas station's figure count - the majority of lego gas stations had no more than three figures - including this one and the wonderful Gas and Wash Express (which I actually own!). I also don't get why people complain about the stickers so much - because even older kits often had a lot. Personally, I think stickers are okay, because printed pieces can't be used in as many places if the stickers are really specialized. :wink:

I love this set, it's nice and simple. Maybe it's because I build this set by myself by ordering all parts and buildinginstruction.

exxon_-2.jpg

And I made one extra tanktransporter :tongue: :

exxon_-3_6594.jpg

Excellent review, it's nice to see review of old sets that I don't own I hope to see many more. Was this released under the Esso name int the UK?

Thanks for the fantastic review of the Esso Petrol( :tongue: ) station! I like this set, a nice contrast to the shell ones, it adds a bit of variety to a Lego town. The cowboy hat is a nice addition too.

I love this set, it's nice and simple. Maybe it's because I build this set by myself by ordering all parts and buildinginstruction.

And I made one extra tanktransporter :tongue: :

Excellent tankers Panda. These make great additions to the station.

Brickster

You need your own sticky review section, I love looking at all of these old sets, As I have said before you take me back to a much simpler time.

Thank You

And on to the set. I love this gas station Lego really needs to look to it's past on some of these sets for the time the level of detail is great. I wish I still had this one in one piece as well.

Brickster, once again, this is another excellent Gas Station, awaiting to be in the limelight!

I don't understand why I always loved these Classic Gas station such as Shell, Exxon and Octan. They just look so lovely. No City or Town could ever survive without these important key installations around, to pump gas/petroleum for all vehicles, that depend it for fuel consumption. :tongue:

As always, all Gas Station will always inculde a road plate, and I am glad I am still seeing roads included in such sets, such as the recent 7993, Service Station. However, Town Plan's Gas Station, did not include a baseplate though. Nevertheless, let me continue with this review.

3 Lovely mini-figs, included in this set. It's not common to see Exxon torsos these days. I just love that lady staff very much, especially with its classic hairdo. 4-studs car just simply rocks, with such fabulous simple design. Furthermore, it gave you 2 cars instead of one. What more can you ask? You don't see TLG giving more cars in recent sets these days. What surprise me about this cars, is the ability of opening the front engine column. I remembered vividly that only trucks or massive vehicles, does have this playing feature. Nevertheless, it's an excellent addition. :sweet:

For a 1980 Gas Station set, this is a perfect set, even when it's going to fit into my current Town buildings. I am sure, it won't have a hard time to match with the rest of the facade. I can use this gas station and stationed it near the country side. This set is so hard to resist, with such elegant design of its fuel pump. There are a total of 4 pumping stations. The vehicles won't be fighting against each other, for slots then. The reparing area is very nice, it will be even better if it include a shelter on top of it. The office is simple and nice. I had never expect an office to exist in Gas Station. Most of the time, there are groceries stores, for the consumers to get off, buy off some stores and load it in the car. :wink:

No major complains from me. I am not trying to be selection bias. I had demostrated key points which is good enough to justify my score. And, I gave it a "5". Outstanding Classic Gas Station set. :thumbup:

Again great topic/poll, TheBrickster! :thumbup:

I gave this set a 3:

Which is on the one hand negative is that it's really old-fashioned for today :wacko: . Which is on the other hand positive is that it includes very nice and authentic details (like e. g. doors in the cars :thumbup: ) which is imo for that time a feat :thumbup: .

Klaus-Dieter