• 4 - Above Average
    • 5 - Outstanding

Paramedic Unit

Set #: 6364

Year Released: 1980

Piece Count: 140

Minifigs: 2

List Price: unknown

Well, let me first say that the English name, "Paramedic Unit" is not really a good name for this set. The function of a paramedic is to take a patient from an emergent situation, and deliver them to a hospital for treatment, generally an Emergency Room. This is a rather small "clinic" that I would imagine is more for family care than an Emergency Room. In addition, the car looks more like a doctor/nurse's car rather than an Ambulance or Emergency Response Vehicle. I would call this a "Clinic" rather than a Paramedic Unit. In any case, it's a great set, esp. for Table Towns that need medical services. What I like is that this set is small enough to place anywhere in your Lego City or Town.

Starting with the instructions:

01instruct1.jpg

Like all the classic town sets, alternate models are pictured, although i never tried building one:

02instruct2.jpg

I like the little medical bus/van.

The set includes two minifigs, that include a female Doctore or Nurse, and what I presume is a patient, based on the torsos:

03figs.jpg

I really like the vehicle. It's a 4-stud wide two seater:

04car1.jpg

The colors work well and I like the use of the white bar between the seats (and the 1x1 blue plates for lights).

05car2.jpg

Unfortunately, the emblems are stickers.

Here's a shot of the neat little "Clinic":

06clinic1.jpg

I like the use of the blinds for the exam room. It shows that Lego considered patient privacy when making this set.

The interior includes an exam room, desk, and two blue swivel chairs:

07back.jpg

And a neat little eye chart:

08chart.jpg

Although the letters L E G O would have made a nice touch.

Lastly, a picture of the complete set:

09set.jpg

I must admit that I remember buying this set back in the 80s and I regreted it after taking it home. I'm not sure what I didn't like about it (perhaps the "girl" back then), but now I really think it's a neat set. Well, there's a line of patients waiting to have their eyes checked...

Comments welcome.

Thanks a lot for the review, Brickster! I never had the chance to get some classic town sets, but I wish I couldve! I just wonder why Lego cant release sets like this anymore....

thanks! I own this set...!

It was a good time as TLG released a lot of little buildings. (just look through the 63xx-setnumbers)

Paramedic Unit, does not seem to suit well for this set's name. It should be named as Clinic, Outpatient Treatment, Family Doctor and etc. From what I understand, Parmedic unit, is a stand-alone unit, that is on standby, 24/7, ready for any emergency rescue in LEGO Town. Ambulance, with a group of paramedics will be ideal for this kind of situation. :wink:

I love female doctors, especially with that lovely hairpiece! :blush: The cruiser, is a neat 4-studs wide design. Just love these small car designs back then. I wonder what can be used at the back of its boot. :tongue:

The clinic is neat. Maybe, we can send Holodoc for some medical audit, to make sure that this clinic is up to standard. :laugh:

What surprised me the most, is the neat little eye chart. You don't see such details in any regular LEGO set. The red and white color combination for the building, works well for me. Most of the hospital buildings and vehicles, always revolved in red and white.

I gave this a "4" :wink:

Thanks you so much, Brickster! :thumbup:

I just can't believe someone would rate this set a 1. It appears to be a trend among these classic reviews, never with a comment of why.

I just can't believe someone would rate this set a 1. It appears to be a trend among these classic reviews, never with a comment of why.

maybe a TFOL... :devil:

it is our "destiny" to show them that LEGO existed before 1997 and was -IMHO- way better than today.

we need more classic reviews. I hope I can continue with technic sets.

people giving this "1"? g... i'd give it a "4". i'd give it a "3" but added a point out of nostalgia...

i think it's a nice town set from the old days. the only problem i always had is the lack of an ambulance... AND we got a female doctor! :-)

Brickster strikes again with another awesome review! :thumbup:

Ah, one of the few hospital related kits lego made. Wasn't this the first hospital with modern minifigs? (because I seem to remember seeing an even older hospital online that had the armless, faceless figs). Regardless, this would be great as a little doctor's office in someone's town layout - although the vehicle is a little silly. And that eye chart sticker has to be the coolest decal EVER. :sweet:

maybe a TFOL...

Well, it sure isn't me. :tongue: I personally love older kits, even though I'm only a teen. I like a lot of the newer sets a bit more than some of the classic stuff, but I have always agreed that the 70's and 80's were an extremely high point in lego's time :wink: (even though I don't really own any kits from the period)

Edited by Grevious

Wasn't this the first hospital with modern minifigs? (because I seem to remember seeing an even older hospital online that had the armless, faceless figs).

You're correct. This was the first:

Hospital 555

Thank you for all these reviews, TheBrickster! :sweet:

And: The idea with the polls is a very nice and interesting idea. :thumbup: (It will only take a while until I will have commented on all - so please give me some time. :wink: )

I gave this set a four:

The vehicle, the minfigs and the design of the house are excellent - only the interior could be a bit spiced up (telephone, some other equipment).

Klaus-Dieter

Paramedic Unit, does not seem to suit well for this set's name. It should be named as Clinic, Outpatient Treatment, Family Doctor and etc.

The definition of a paramedic is "...someone who assists physicians in providing medical care..."

I think in more modern times a paramedic is generally thought of as a more qualified and experienced ambulance technician but the dictionary definition would seem to fit with the Lego model quite well. :tongue:

Cheers

Rog

The definition of a paramedic is "...someone who assists physicians in providing medical care..."

I think in more modern times a paramedic is generally thought of as a more qualified and experienced ambulance technician but the dictionary definition would seem to fit with the Lego model quite well. :tongue:

rriggs, thanks for clearing it up. :tongue: Actually, I did not check it with the dictionary. Thanks for giving a clear definition for "paramedic".

I like this set, like most i view it more as a clinic, it sits nicely in my town plan. These old sets are all very cool

Wow! Old thread.

Just for the record, so long as it is here. Paramedic's are advanced Ambulance technicians. Unlike standard EMT's they are trained for Advanced Cardiac Life Support. They can push drugs, defibrillate, place a breathing tube etc. in the 1980's when the set was made, it was quite common for Paramedics to respond to calls in "fly cars" or special response units. They would join up with Ambulances at the scenes that required their skills. If you ever watched the old American TV show "Emergency", Johnny Gage And Squad 51 were one of these response units. They were mostly phased out in the 90's in favor of simply putting the Paramedics and ALS gear in the ambulances.