Animated101

Star Wars is kinda fading

Recommended Posts

I used to get excited when a new lego star wars set came out, but at this point, I find it boring, because its always the SAME set we got before. Heck, how many land speeders have we gotten now?!?!But its not always bad, some remakes are DESPERATELY needed haha. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sure we're always going to have a lot of repeats of the X-Wing, TIE/ln, snowspeeder and Luke's landspeeder but the sets this year are either all new or only have been made once before.

Not always getting as excited can also be because of other reasons - I've experienced this too at times but for me it's because I'm older, I have less space for new sets, I'm much more into MOCing and so builds don't excite me in the same way (except for new pieces or colours) and the stormtrooper and clone trooper print changes aren't my thing. But all those are for me, none of those are that LSW is dying. They've gone quite heavy on the helmets and the 18+ dioramas which aren't my thing either but they must be selling well enough to keep doing them for several years and they've put out more cheaper sets too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/22/2023 at 2:51 PM, Animated101 said:

I used to get excited when a new lego star wars set came out, but at this point, I find it boring, because its always the SAME set we got before. Heck, how many land speeders have we gotten now?!?!But its not always bad, some remakes are DESPERATELY needed haha. 

In the best way, the incessant remakes aren't for you, or for us, so much as for the new generation growing up with Star Wars. For the kid who has no X-Wing, having a new one on the shelf for $50 is great, even if you personally have the 2006 and haven't cared for years. Star Wars is a franchise that is constantly getting new fans who want products for it, and not all of them have the knowledge/desire/ability to scour Ebay for expensive old sets just to get a classic starfighter. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think there should be an X-wing and landspeeder, as well as a Millennium Falcon, on the shelves at all times. They are iconic ships/vehicles likely to be wanted by any new LEGO SW fans. There are plenty of other SW sets available for those that already have them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with all posted, I have come back to Lego 40 plus years later and through my love of Star Wars as the main reason. I think currently I only have three Lego ucs Starwars sets, but massively drawn to the moc’s out there that some of the community offer. I have three to do, one done and one building now. So while I’m very great full for what Lego have done and still do. The are fabulous options to consider still.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Death to Star Wars theme! Sorry bad joke… Okay let’s be serious. 

I’m not a SW fan myself as I used to be when I was a kid 20 years ago. I found that the theme…boring to me except for cool and new molds, pieces, and accessories that got my interest sparked. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not fading - half-baked - imho.

For Example The New Venator is poorly done - mismatched decal/color just to name one of a few pet peeves.

If Lego would bother to study MOC's - they may actually save money and look better - starting to think greed is getting to them.

Is Star Wars fading? No - getting cheap for higher prices? Yes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Kage Goomba said:

Not fading - half-baked - imho.

For Example The New Venator is poorly done - mismatched decal/color just to name one of a few pet peeves.

If Lego would bother to study MOC's - they may actually save money and look better - starting to think greed is getting to them.

Is Star Wars fading? No - getting cheap for higher prices? Yes.

Greed from LEGO already started 2 years ago. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think that part of why lsw sets are getting worse is because tlg realized that half baked sets sell ok if they have good minifigures (for example, the recent tx130), since their audience seems to either be a) children "too young to care too much about set accuracy", or b) afols who are mostly in it for minifigures because they can buy moc instructions

Edited by MidiScaleEnthusiast
I type bad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/22/2023 at 8:51 PM, Animated101 said:

I used to get excited when a new lego star wars set came out, but at this point, I find it boring, because its always the SAME set we got before. Heck, how many land speeders have we gotten now?!?!But its not always bad, some remakes are DESPERATELY needed haha. 

Try to MOC something on your own, mate and don't be afraid to submit it in lego ideas to renew the Sta Wars theme ! For example this scimitar is iconic and a master piece

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/24/2023 at 3:31 PM, Kage Goomba said:

Not fading - half-baked - imho.

For Example The New Venator is poorly done - mismatched decal/color just to name one of a few pet peeves.

If Lego would bother to study MOC's - they may actually save money and look better - starting to think greed is getting to them.

Is Star Wars fading? No - getting cheap for higher prices? Yes.

If Lego sets had the amount of pieces MOCs use to get higher detail then all sets would be in the $400-600 range and people would complain even more. 

Edited by karmajay

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OP, if I had a nickel for every time I heard someone say what you're saying since I started paying attention to online Lego forums circa 2002, I'd be able to buy the UCS Venator (which, by the way, is a dream set that extremely online Lego fans have been requesting since 2005).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, karmajay said:

If Lego sets had the amount of pieces MOCs use to get higher detail then all sets would be in the $400-600 range and people would complain even more. 

And yet there's a Venator MOC already out there that is fewer pieces and priced better than the one Lego has.

That excuse while valid - only gets you so far.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Kage Goomba said:

And yet there's a Venator MOC already out there that is fewer pieces and priced better than the one Lego has.

That excuse while valid - only gets you so far.

Where is this MOC? If it has fewer pieces then logically it should cost less to make, but who is selling it? 

And is this smaller MOC representative of the average UCS venator MOC, or is it a smaller version?

Your excuse while valid- only gets you so far. You need to remember that MOCs ARE often over-detailed for sets (including your own MOCs).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/24/2023 at 8:31 PM, Kage Goomba said:

Not fading - half-baked - imho.

Is Star Wars fading? No - getting cheap for higher prices? Yes.

Pretty much this. 

Although expectations are through the roof. Lot less creative freedom for designers because they need to make the most accurate sets. 

Lego Star Wars has also changed direction. The creative process for choosing sets seems pragmatic and robotic. It’s all about having evergreen sets sprinkled with half-baked or Disney + sets (which have issues due to concept arts/leaks etc) 

Worst of all, the figures always seem to have glaring errors. If you’re getting the figures spot on, you’ll get good sets. 

Edited by ArrowBricks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To me Lego Star Wars started fading the moment flick fire stud blasters and the new Darth Vader helmet got introduced.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I honestly dont buy sets anymore unless I find them on clearance and they have a decent parts/piece count. I only build MOCs now, way more detailed, accurate, and more challenging to build. Just stop buying these over priced licensed sets imo. Only buy a set for a mini figure or collecting purposes if your gonna keep it unopened. 

Edited by Jollygrnreefer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/23/2023 at 8:50 PM, Calanon said:

Not always getting as excited can also be because of other reasons - I've experienced this too at times but for me it's because I'm older, I have less space for new sets, I'm much more into MOCing and so builds don't excite me in the same way (except for new pieces or colours) and the stormtrooper and clone trooper print changes aren't my thing. But all those are for me, none of those are that LSW is dying. They've gone quite heavy on the helmets and the 18+ dioramas which aren't my thing either but they must be selling well enough to keep doing them for several years and they've put out more cheaper sets too.

Yeah this is a big one for me. As an example I already have Luke's landspeeder from 2014 - and I think it's great. So unless a new version offers something truly amazing then it won't interest me as much. 

I think they still make some good sets - the Inquisitor ship from Kenobi and the Clone Wars sets come to mind. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly its more towards lego builds on general being less exciting and more adult display model oriented. I really enjoyed sets like the different star wars huts and the new movie wave sets (upto solo) as they all had a layer of exciting builds and interesting figures.

Now besides collecting cool minifigs (i.e. clones and/or desirable characters), lego sets have come out very bland and I only find myself floating towards things like UCS sets on discount or sets like the blacksmiths house which lego hasn't made another comparable set to

Edited by SCREDEYE

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/5/2023 at 9:21 AM, Tariq j said:

I think they still make some good sets - the Inquisitor ship from Kenobi and the Clone Wars sets come to mind.

Honestly this line to me sums up why I think Star Wars as a whole isn't fading. The sets you've marked as good - and presumably would buy - are exactly the sets that I wouldn't even look at. I simply don't enjoy those parts of the source material (partly because I don't think Dave Filoni is actually a very good writer/director) and there's plenty of Lego for me to buy that isn't based off stuff I didn't like.

On the other hand, I might buy another X-Wing or landspeeder because those are based on parts of the source material I did like. (I actually bought the 2020 X-Wing even though I already had the 2006 one, because I wanted the Dodonna and Ep IV Leia figs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lego's product is constantly evolving to meet what TLG believes are the strongest areas of consumer demand--they are a business first and foremost, and I tend to accept the possibility that what certain segments of the online Lego SW fanbase vocalizes as a want doesn't always match what TLG knows makes them money when they look at their sales numbers. The fact that Lego SW as a theme has lasted this long and gets multiple waves every years tells me that it is a major money-maker for Lego. And the fact that updated sets of the same ship keep getting released tells me that those sets are a major part of the Lego SW sales every year. If X-wings and Millennium Falcons and landspeeders ever stopped being top sellers for TLG, those sets would've disappeared from the catalog. At the same time, TLG seems to be constantly trying to grow and expand its fanbase and retain existing fans who are getting older and wanting more and more detail and "cool factor" in their sets. I think this is why we're seeing a lot more sets aimed at adults who like to display as opposed to kids who like to play. But if I owned TLG, I would not introduce new sets, new ships, new lines in the Lego SW catalog without first establishing the continuation of the old tried and true sets that I know sell well and will carry the theme should one of the new sets not produce strong sales figures. Now, I'm not TLG, so I can't say for sure, but I would wager that something like the thought process I described here is what goes on behind the scenes at TLG.

As has been said by others here, the sets that some of us "veteran" Lego SW fans see as old and tired are, to the new Lego SW fan, new and exciting. I am in the camp of Lego SW fans who have mostly moved on from buying sets to building MOCs. But because of that I know how much money and space it takes to have a parts collection that facilitates the ability to build even moderate-sized MOCs, and I know a lot of would-be MOC builders cannot currently facilitate that. So while I can nitpick the details and functions of a UCS set, I still have to recognize that for someone who cannot afford to build MOCs, that UCS set represents a dream build, and for that target consumer those design choices on the part of TLG designers are less important. When I was a kid, before I got into MOCs, UCS sets were these glorious things, and I marveled at the design elements, functions, and details--I never had a thought about things that could've been done differently with the design. I was just excited to have the world's largest Lego set.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree that Star Wars is fading. But I mostly blame the projects we have seen on screen since Disney bought Lucasfilm. They have been pretty bad. I had to force myself to finish Ahsoka. My wife checked out after the sixth episode. 

There were leaks about Star Wars merch sales a few months ago, and the only Star Wars stuff that has been selling well is LEGO Star Wars. This is not supposed to happen. Star Wars merch used to print money. With that said, it is impressive what LEGO can do with the franchise even though it is in a bad place right now. LEGO and Star Wars is a great pairing. But it's gotten to the point for me that I've decided to not collect anything Star Wars related that isn't from George Lucas himself (so basically Episodes 1 - 6 and Clone Wars). I need to be able to at least like the content a little bit to be interested in the LEGO representations of said content. 

It's not like everything from Disney has been terrible. George Lucas admitted that he was actually pleased with Rogue One. But the franchise has become bloated with a lot of bad. Personally, my favorite Star Wars work to this day is Knights of the Old Republic. 

Edited by Something_Awesome

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/6/2023 at 11:57 PM, Something_Awesome said:

I agree that Star Wars is fading. But I mostly blame the projects we have seen on screen since Disney bought Lucasfilm. They have been pretty bad. I had to force myself to finish Ahsoka. My wife checked out after the sixth episode. 

There were leaks about Star Wars merch sales a few months ago, and the only Star Wars stuff that has been selling well is LEGO Star Wars. This is not supposed to happen. Star Wars merch used to print money. With that said, it is impressive what LEGO can do with the franchise even though it is in a bad place right now. LEGO and Star Wars is a great pairing. But it's gotten to the point for me that I've decided to not collect anything Star Wars related that isn't from George Lucas himself (so basically Episodes 1 - 6 and Clone Wars). I need to be able to at least like the content a little bit to be interested in the LEGO representations of said content. 

It's not like everything from Disney has been terrible. George Lucas admitted that he was actually pleased with Rogue One. But the franchise has become bloated with a lot of bad. Personally, my favorite Star Wars work to this day is Knights of the Old Republic. 

Er Star Wars merch that is not Lego does not sell well? You def need to get out of here with comments like that. Extremely laughable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.