BrickRally217

[MOC] Antique Toy Store

Recommended Posts

Hi everyone,

This is my 16x32 modular MOC which I’m calling Antique Toy Store.

53257976311_32cd2e3de8_c.jpg

The ground floor is the toy shop with a marble roller coaster displayed in the front window, and the upper floors are a two-story apartment with a working clothesline in the back. There is also a working “touw en blok,” or rope-and-pulley system for moving furniture, so there is a bit of a “moving rope” motif going on.

53258273523_82514d8c70_c.jpg

53258273338_f3edb224d7_c.jpg

53258273518_8179383d61_c.jpg

53258273333_3cf79b4e9d_c.jpg

 

Interiors:

53258273428_5867a968ea_c.jpg

53258326034_7783e8f14f_c.jpg

53258326094_fd36d39b22_c.jpg

53257098207_ac82b4a1c2_c.jpg

Since these are supposed to be antique/valubale toys, I got a bit meta and turned one of the display cases into a collection of the most valuable small Lego elements in my collection. Many are from 2011’s Queen Anne’s Revenge pirate ship, including the ultra-rare and expensive dark tan plume.

53258326074_652e35ce55_c.jpg

I was going for a Christmas-y theme with the dark red and olive green for the toy shop, and I placed a pine tree in the back to solidify that theming more.

53258273408_396ec73c36_c.jpg

The second level has a living area and kitchen.

53257976061_2fde47464e_c.jpg

53258326174_5439bba4a1_c.jpg

53258273388_bd549e8267_c.jpg

53257098087_13ed8094e2_c.jpg

The third level has a bathroom with a removable wall for easy access, and a giant bed, which was the last thing I created for the build. I have no idea how the minifigs got it up there.

53258469255_fcf8fdd0f3_c.jpg

53258469475_c2e44e0477_c.jpg

53257976011_57e8283098_c.jpg

The roof section is nothing too special, but it does feature a storage area for the furniture rope.

53258469250_dbeb1f20cc_c.jpg

53257098237_eff3592454_c.jpg

 

Influences:

These are the references which inspired the design I chose.

The ground floor was influenced by this really vibrant building I saw on a street corner when I was in Amsterdam last year. The dark red color, irregular angle of the door, arches, and small statue were ideas garnered from this building. (first pic is mine)

53258314413_fe97baa6bb.jpg 53258367209_4251e85cd6.jpg

The upper levels were loosely based around these images but are mostly a product of my imagination.

53258367104_ba6d73cd87.jpg53258314338_836f4413a6.jpg53258017231_665f4e4e55.jpg

 

Lastly, here is the antique toy store with some other modulars. (Mmmm, color therapy)

53257976006_5e417d42bf_c.jpg

Thanks for checking out my build, I hope you liked it!

53258325984_ebcc2f9286_c.jpg

Edited by BrickRally217

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice build :)

The bed? either IKEA, or some other, that can be built together.

The attic, maybe a ladder to access it? Maybe half of roof removable?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your MOC is fantastic!! Ilove details of it! Keep it up!! :) 

This is a perfect example of a 16x32 modular building Lego should do that! I know Bookshop set has two seperate buildings but I would like to see an actual 16x32 modular building set some days - it’s more affordable and it will be a fun additional for modular city. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Shiva said:

Nice build :)

The bed? either IKEA, or some other, that can be built together.

The attic, maybe a ladder to access it? Maybe half of roof removable?

That's a great idea! Wish I would have thought of that before, I'm back to sorting now though and my build area is full of other stuff, so modifying it will have to come a bit later.

 

13 hours ago, Lion King said:

Your MOC is fantastic!! Ilove details of it! Keep it up!! :) 

This is a perfect example of a 16x32 modular building Lego should do that! I know Bookshop set has two seperate buildings but I would like to see an actual 16x32 modular building set some days - it’s more affordable and it will be a fun additional for modular city. 

I couldn't agree more. Even as one of the yearly modulars, like in lieu of a 32x32, a 16x32 would be amazing... more affordable and arguably packs just as big of a punch. Especially since we've gotten Assembly square, and now the rumored 2024 museum, which are 48x32. So a single 16x32 is needed sometimes to offset the difference since as most modulars are 32x32.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, BrickRally217 said:

I couldn't agree more. Even as one of the yearly modulars, like in lieu of a 32x32, a 16x32 would be amazing... more affordable and arguably packs just as big of a punch. Especially since we've gotten Assembly square, and now the rumored 2024 museum, which are 48x32. So a single 16x32 is needed sometimes to offset the difference since as most modulars are 32x32.

Agreed. An expsnive non-anniversary 48x32 modular is just…bizzare but I wil take a museum for my city anyways. I would appreicate that TLG release a 16x32 modular set annually in summer while they continue releasing a full modular in January. There are so many ideas in the wild for 16x32 building, such as yoru MOC Antique Toy Shop, Fortune Teller’s Seance, Travel Agency, Townhouse, and so on… Like your MOC, a 16x32 buidling has its own unique. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quaint looking small footprint modular. It is quite fitting your inspiration came from Amsterdam. Once I saw the front with the pulley system in use, I immediately thought of there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/16/2023 at 10:38 AM, Feuer Zug said:

Quaint looking small footprint modular. It is quite fitting your inspiration came from Amsterdam. Once I saw the front with the pulley system in use, I immediately thought of there.

It's an ingenious way to move furniture! I think the windows in my modular may be a bit small though, haha.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh, the technique you've done with the sideways hinge plates for detail on the lower floor is very neat!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lyichir said:

Oh, the technique you've done with the sideways hinge plates for detail on the lower floor is very neat!

I've been holding on to that one for a while :laugh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What I love so much is your love for the detail. The interior detail, that is. I would so drift away in your store, would be sooo excited to climb the stairs and find out what is up there - I would spend hours and hours in there.

This is so nice, and really resembles what an old (or antique) toy was back then: Excitement, something new in every niche, tales of mystery and imagination, fun. Never wanting to leave feeling ...

And yes, it is beautiful from the outside as well, keeping the inside ... an adventure, to say the least.

Thank you very much for sharing!

All the best,
Thorsten 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Toastie said:

What I love so much is your love for the detail. The interior detail, that is. I would so drift away in your store, would be sooo excited to climb the stairs and find out what is up there - I would spend hours and hours in there.

This is so nice, and really resembles what an old (or antique) toy was back then: Excitement, something new in every niche, tales of mystery and imagination, fun. Never wanting to leave feeling ...

And yes, it is beautiful from the outside as well, keeping the inside ... an adventure, to say the least.

Thank you very much for sharing!

All the best,
Thorsten 

I don't know if the residents would be too happy with a patron of the toy store climbing their staircase and trying to enter their apartment. I would get a haul from the green grocer and show up as a grocery delivery person, that might work :laugh:

And yes! I did want the building to feel exciting and like a "toy" in itself, it's cool you noticed that. The classic yellow really evokes the "toy" (specifically classic Lego) aesthetic to me, so I knew it was the right choice for my toy store. Some Lego city builders like to incorporate the more industrial side of things, the roads, the offices, the bureaucracy and the like. To me that stuff is off somewhere else. I strive to make my Lego city the perfect relaxing weekend trip itinerary, all in one block... wake up at the hostel, get some breakfast, visit the bookshop, peek your head in the toy store, grab a bite from the market, and spend the rest of the day in the ragtag astronomy museum/curated library just learning and learning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.