16 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

• 1 - Poor
    • 2 - Below Average
    • 3 - Average
    • 4 - Above Average
    • 5 - Outstanding

Hello all Eurobricks members and Town Lovers,

Behold my next classic town review. This is one of the construction vehicles that are available for constructing our towns in 1980s. Before I start, my Bulldozer is not 100% complete. Try and spot the missing piece and tell me at the end of the review? :tongue:

Name: Bulldozer

Theme: LEGO System / Town

Year: 1986

Pieces: 65

Minifigs: 1

Price: Unknown

An image of a 6658, Bulldozer

1.jpg

Let the review begins

2.jpg

Firstly, I am quite confused why it is called Bulldozer. I am sure you are quite familar with the bulldozer below instead. It should be called as a digger. Well, I will classify the 6658 as a medium digger. Throughout the years, LEGO had placed yellow as construction theme. It seemed that yellow bricks are widely used for construction vehicles. I am not saying that only construction vehicless are allowed to use yellow bricks. It seemed to be a representation of construction.

In the recent years, City had created a construction theme and had two diggers under that category. They are known as mini-digger and digger. Even till this day, they are still using yellow bricks for construction vehicles.

13.jpg

Meet the driver and the bulldozer

8.jpg

It seemed that this driver is wearing a typical blue torso, with its classic red safety helmet. There are no prints to indicate he is someone whom is working in construction field. Unlike, the current construction theme, every worker is required to wear a safety vest during work. Well, I feel that the driver's torso is quite good for changing it into other townfolks. Just change the hairpiece and you will get a typical citizen in the city. :sweet:

Playing mechanisim

4.jpg

The bulldozer is able to move its digger bucket upwards and downwards. In addition, the yellow digger bucket is able to move too. This promotes great playability to scope out some debris from the construction site.

It can swirl?

6.jpg

Yes, the bulldozer is able to swirl left and right by making use of the black catch. It can shift itself while reversing. Personally, I find this feature very wonderful and excellent. :thumbup: At least, I know my bulldozer won't be restricted to one angle. :blush:

Place the driver here

3.jpg

By opening the top frame, the hinges will be able to move upwards and downwards without tearing down the whole seat. This feature will only be seen in most Classic Town vehicles. You can't find this anymore in the current city collections. :cry_sad:

Different angles of the bulldozer

5.jpg

7.jpg

Summary review

Playability: 8/10 (Very fun to play with)

Design: 8.5/10 (Very realistic design. Just the naming, I still don't understand why its called bulldozer)

Price: 8/10 (An inexpensive set based on the 1986 pricing, quite worth for what you are getting for)

Overall: 8.2/10 (A must have for all Classic Town lovers, even for the current Construction theme. This will fit in very well)

I gave it a "5" based on my Review Score Card. What about yours?

So, have you found the missing piece? :wink:

Hope everyone of you enjoyed reading this simple review of mine. Comments and critics are strongly welcomed.

Pictures can be found in My Brickshelf (When moderated)

Nice photos. I have this model somewhere from my childhood; I'll have to dig it up eventually.

I'm not sure why you're confused about the name; that's exactly what a bulldozer is. (I see you're from Singapore so I understand if you find English terms a little tricky or illogical. I live in Japan, and Japanese names for things confuse me too.)

You're missing the 1x1 round black brick!! :sad::tongue:

Thanks for this cool review. Sets, like this cute little digger, back then were awesome.

Neat little set.

Ive always liked technic construction vehicles, and a minfig sized System one is nice.

I dont really like the special piece they used for the bucket arm though, very hard to find. I'll have to use something else if I ever want to make one of these myself.

The hinge is very nice, since its so rare to have vechicles in this size with any for of steering.

I agree, this set is not a Bulldozer, I'd class this as a Front End Loader.

While the large 'digger' with treads is an Excavator.

and the tiny impulse set 'digger' is... probably not too accurate to anything, but would be appropriate as a mini Bulldozer I guess.... Since its not able to lift that bucket too far like a loader would...

I'm not sure why you're confused about the name; that's exactly what a bulldozer is. (I see you're from Singapore so I understand if you find English terms a little tricky or illogical. I live in Japan, and Japanese names for things confuse me too.)

13.jpg

This picture on the right corner, showed how a bulldozer looks like. :wink: I am not really very confused with English, except for some terms. :tongue:

You're missing the 1x1 round black brick!! :sad::tongue:

Good job in finding the missing piece. :thumbup:

I am glad that the missing piece is not something rare or hard to replace. :classic:

The hinge is very nice, since its so rare to have vechicles in this size with any for of steering.

I couldn't agree less. The hinge is the main beauty of this set, that drives it's primary design, that is able to relate in our daily lives.

I agree, this set is not a Bulldozer, I'd class this as a Front End Loader.

While the large 'digger' with treads is an Excavator.

and the tiny impulse set 'digger' is... probably not too accurate to anything, but would be appropriate as a mini Bulldozer I guess.... Since its not able to lift that bucket too far like a loader would...

xenologer, thanks for clearing the construction definitions around here. I am not familar with such terms. Now, I know it is called a Front End Loader. :wink:

I really love these classic construction vehicles. They were easy to build and a lot of fun. I like the cab design of this set as well as the little details like the tail lights in the back and the big wheels. The only thing that's mising from this set is a shovel for the construction fig. In addition, some earlier construction sets had figs with printed torsos.

Overall, I give this set a 5.

Great review! :thumbup:

EDIT: I just noticed the missing round black 1x1. :laugh:

They're yellow because in scandinavia, in sweden at least but I assume it's the same in all scandinavia, construction vehicles are usually yellow.

I really love these classic construction vehicles. They were easy to build and a lot of fun. I like the cab design of this set as well as the little details like the tail lights in the back and the big wheels. The only thing that's mising from this set is a shovel for the construction fig. In addition, some earlier construction sets had figs with printed torsos.

Overall, I give this set a 5.

Great review! :thumbup:

EDIT: I just noticed the missing round black 1x1. :laugh:

Yes, there are very fun to build with such little parts, and presented in such a detailed manner. I love how the bulldozer swivel around and lifting the digger bucket up and down.

It will be nice to include a shovel for the construction mini-fig. It will be even better if its torso is printed as well. In some of the earlier sets such as 6383 Public Works Center, Gravel Yard. has 4 construction workers with printed torsos. :wink:

Congrats Brickster! You are the second person whom had spotted the missing piece! At first, I thought you are refering to the shovel as the missing piece instead. :laugh:

They're yellow because in scandinavia, in sweden at least but I assume it's the same in all scandinavia, construction vehicles are usually yellow.

I think in most countries inculuding mine, all construction vehicles are yellow in color. :classic:

I can't remember if I own this particular set.

The exhaust brick might be missing, but why are the arms upside down? There is a small "button" on the arm for lifting, but I have never really used it when playing.

Thanks for the review, it brought up a lot of confusion :wacko:

The exhaust brick might be missing, but why are the arms upside down? There is a small "button" on the arm for lifting, but I have never really used it when playing.

Thanks for the review, it brought up a lot of confusion :wacko:

Lasse D, are you asking why is my mini-fig arms upside down?? I can't find the small button you are referring to? Could you point it to me? Thanks. :blush:

The excavator arm 3314.png

Thanks for pointing it out. Finally, I had realised where is that mistake. Don't be confused, I am the one whom placed it wrong. :tongue:

It was an honest 20 years mistake. :laugh:

Great review, Fang. :thumbup:

Honestly, while I like a lot of classic sets, this one just doesn't jump out at me that much. I really don't like that the figure has no printed torso - they had those years before 1986. I gave it a 3 - but that doesn't mean I don't like this set at all. It's a classic for sure, and I'm sure tons of kids begged their moms to get this back in the 80's - and for good reason. :wink:

Oh yeah, I have this one.

a very nice set. It was my biggest digger.