Sign in to follow this  
Shadows

Which pieces would you like to see in future pirate sets?

With all the speculation about a new Pirates line in threads like this and this, and the new minifig torsos spotted here, it seems like a good time to talk about your expectations, even if we don't know that such a line is in the making.

There have been similar discussions before, but I want this to be different. As you probably know, when LEGO decided to redesign the Castle line, they contacted prominent members of the online Castle community to ask for assistance in designing what this new line would contain. Pirates is different, because it means launching the line fresh, as opposed to just adjusting a currently existing one, so they probably won't contact anyone for advice, even though Classic-Pirates at Eurobricks is the one and only home of LEGO Pirates and they would be wise to consult with us.

That said, I do think they look in from time to time, and wouldn't be surprised if someone involved in the process could read this thread.

So, I'm asking you to name a single part that you would absolutely NEED for a new Pirates line to satisfy you. One part per post (unless 2 parts are a natural pair, like a chest and it's lid, or a pair of boat hulls).

Don't double post to get all of your ideas out.

Post the one part you want most, explain in detail why you want it and basically sell your case. Imagine it's being read by the designers at LEGO and you need to convince them that your part is absolutely necessary. Provide pictures, if possible, either of the pre-existing LEGO part, or of the real life item you want made.

If you have more parts ideas, wait a while, let others comment, then make another post detailing another important part to you.

To make this idea clear, I'll post a little example.

x70.gifx70.gifx70.gifx70.gif

The Rag Wrap.

A vital piece of headgear for everyone from dock workers to swabbies, it's the iconic topper to the vast majority of your pirate minifigs. Now, imagine it in white. :pir-sweet: Suddenly, it isn't just good for Pirates, it can also be used for town people as well, thus giving TLG a chance to double dip and use the mold for two different lines and saving a lot of money in the process.

Of course, other colours are possible: dark blue, dark green, tan. But I'd be happy with just the originals and white, wouldn't you?

Now it's your turn to come up with an idea and make your case here in this thread. The future success of Pirates may depend on it! :jollyroger:

2563.png

Palm Tree Base

The classic palm tree base - along with individual trunk pieces, top, and individual leaf pieces - to make a fully assembled palm tree. The trunk and leaf pieces are still in production but we haven't seen the base since the 10159 Legends Airport released in 2004. Pirates need treasure, and where better to hide treasure than some small abandoned island, marked by a palm tree? Indeed, nothing says Pirates like a well-executed treasure island. The 2 piece version produced for the Junior Pirates sets is too restrictive in terms of what you can do with it in terms of height and leaf arrangement and the sooner the moulds are broken on that one the better :pir-wink: . Pirates needs palm trees that can climb for the sky, bunch together in a coconut grove, act as a home for a troop of monkeys, or use their foliage to conceal gems and riches.... or the bodies of their enemies :pir-oh:

Edited by svelte_corps

Cocked hat:HatCockedB_MORR3884.jpg

And interchangable cockades:

thumb_cockade.jpg

cockade-t.jpg

The tricorne we currently have is better for civilans, while a cocked hat is better for armies, as real armies used this type of hat.

Edited by Norrington

Single piece hull so that the boat 'really floats' as mentioned by Lego every time they release a boat that actually does float.

Single piece hull so that the boat 'really floats' as mentioned by Lego every time they release a boat that actually does float.

Not that, maybe, because then we couldn't decide for ourselves the length of ou ship. It'd need alot of balast to support the heavy upper works of any lego ship. Look at the SES. It'd never float.

I think it is still too soon on a new line to talk pirates.

and look minifig will still be made but would not say that it still comes out in 2009.

I have unfortunately seen nothing yet.

around October, we know only a little more patience and until that time.

I think it is still too soon on a new line to talk pirates.

and look minifig will still be made but would not say that it still comes out in 2009.

I have unfortunately seen nothing yet.

around October, we know only a little more patience and until that time.

Definitely not the point of this thread. It doesn't matter if it's 2009 or 2019, the views we're collecting in this thread need to be expressed BEFORE a new line, since we're hoping to help show TLG what we're actually interested in, not in speculating about what they will make.

Just a quick post since I must get ready to leave right about now...

I want to see a telescope!

Telescope.jpg

I think Brickforge has one or is planning one in the near future but I'm not sure where they are with that at the moment.

Just a quick post since I must get ready to leave right about now...

I want to see a telescope!

Telescope.jpg

I think Brickforge has one or is planning one in the near future but I'm not sure where they are with that at the moment.

Megabloks hs one, and It's not half bad. I've used it. Their oil lanterns too.

To add another:

An essential for soldiers and civilians alike:

g_wig_maker_black.jpg

Of course! Toupees were common dress amongst distinguished gentlemen and men of prestige, but I don't think it would be practical for soldiers to wear them.

I would really enjoy seeing the old cannon brought back, or at least a variation of it. I know Fat Tony used those spring loaded shooters as cannons in his contest entries, but I'm still not sold on that idea.

I had an idea for a mini fig.

Pirate wenches. But instead of the slope that supposedly represents a skirt - a detailed skirt with walkable legs.

I don't think the pirate wenches ever had slopes, just normal legs. But a very supportable idea! As a matter of fact, why only settle for a wench when we could have a female pirate captain! :pir_kiss:

I would really enjoy seeing the old cannon brought back, or at least a variation of it. I know Fat Tony used those spring loaded shooters as cannons in his contest entries, but I'm still not sold on that idea.

I will admit, the technic cannon would be death to a Pirate line for me. It would literally push me over the edge, make me buy every available classic cannon on Bricklink and set them all up around me until the men in white coats came to get me. :pir_wacko:

So, in keeping with the Classic line, I'll add the base to go with your cannon.

2527.gif2527.gif2527.gif2527.gif

The four original colours might be asking too much, though it would be nice. Balancing value and demand, and for the sake of convenience and budgetary considerations at TLG, I would take brown and red. Brown and red are just as standard as it gets, they were in almost every set produced.

For TLG, this offers a few additional possibilities. First, if they ever return to ninjas or wild west, they've got cannons, but going beyond that, they could include these in a town set as a park statue, as are seen all over the world. More importantly, a single cannon with base and wheels would make a great Impulse set if you added a pirate or soldier. People would buy those by the ton.

I Would like to see atleast a couple Shako's on a few of the new soldiers we've seen in the minifigure thread.

2545.gif

2x2x2 inverted slope.

This can be used to fill in the gaps in the rear half of the hull by the rudder bars when they're not being used for steering.

It's also useful generally as a slope.

2x2 tile with technic pin on top and curvitude on bottom

This is used to fill in the two holes in the front half of the hull. They've never used those holes for anything :pir-hmpf_bad:

These two words mean a lot to me about the Pirates line:

Cloth Sails

I hope LEGO brings back the old masts and gives these hypothetical new ships proper rigging.

I agree with filefolder, better rope ladders that are a little higher and have at least 5 vertical lines.

I'd also like to see all cannons of the non shooting type, these simply look way better :pir-wub:

I'd like to see at least 2 sizes in non-MOC Cannons.

The old size, and one size smaller. :thumbup:

Then smaller sets can have more smaller cannons and larger sets can have the larger cannon (or a mixuture of the 2 sizes).

I also would like to see a telescope. :thumbup:

A telescope, we absolutely need one of those. And some different variety fish would be nice.

I would like to see brown masts! I have no problem withthe old design, but.... looking back into the history of ships, what ship ever had black masts? Some military ships had white, but not black. If anything, due to the fact that I like historical accuracy, I would like to see some truly historical, realistic, wooden, brown masts for my ships.

Regards,

Captain Zuloo :pir-laugh:

I would like to see brown masts! I have no problem withthe old design, but.... looking back into the history of ships, what ship ever had black masts? Some military ships had white, but not black. If anything, due to the fact that I like historical accuracy, I would like to see some truly historical, realistic, wooden, brown masts for my ships.

Regards,

Captain Zuloo :pir-laugh:

Actually, those Navy Ship's masts were painted to be white, so it could be possible that LEGO masts are painted.

wouldnt mind a hydra

:wink:

hydra.jpg

No sure how I feel about that, as most historical themes (Vikings, Castle, etc.) involves fighting monsters.

I think a Hydra would be better in a Grecian historical theme, possibly with Odyesseus and his ship.

Basic Non-Mammals/Sea-life

2547c01.jpg2547c01.jpg2547c02.jpg6026c01.jpg

crab.jpgcrab.jpg30218.gif30218.jpg30218.gif

Sharks are still available, I'm sure the sawfish is as well. Throw in some alligators, crabs and clams and you have the basics covered. I'm not really sold on the kraken/sea monster angle, but I'm sure LEGO will go that way anyway. Still, I hope we see some of the more realistic dangers that could be confronted as well. We don't always need "epic" monsters, real life can outscare the best of them with a little imagination, and isn't that what it's really all about?

Beyond that, all of these could be used in divers sets, some would be great for a Paradisa revival/beach themed city set, or any number of other uses. How about a zoo with aquarium? People would love that!