Yperio_Bricks

[OFFICIAL] Bricklink Designer Program - "Ominous Isle" - PRE-ORDERS END June 30

Recommended Posts

2643 posts

 

Click here to read Blog Post

Ominous Isle will be able for pre-order on 6th June at 8am PT and cost US $239.99 /AU $339.99.

More photos and details in the Blog Post.

 

-------------------------------------

 

Results have just been released and Omnius Isle by jazlecraz has been selected amongst 4 other sets to start into crowdfunding in June 2024 for BDP series 2. The pirate island consists of 2773 parts:

https://www.bricklink.com/v3/designer-program/series-2/734/Ominous-Isle

2473514.377BD419AA7D783D.png

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

814 posts

Super excited about this one! Not only is it another pirate set, but the design is just beautiful!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

109 posts

It looks really cool. Now it needs to stay interesting after the refine process, have a reasonable price and needs to be available for reservation for more than 2 minutes :pir_laugh2:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

25103 posts

11 hours ago, Yperio_Bricks said:

Results have just been released and Omnius Isle by jazlecraz has been selected amongst 4 other sets to start into crowdfunding in June 2024 for BDP series 2. The pirate island consists of 2773 parts:

That's wonderful news!  Thank you for reporting this. :pir-huzzah2:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

492 posts

Honestly I don’t like the design, the skull in particular looks weak, I also dislike the use of sausages for bridges, overuse of the SNOT technique and the brick built white animal skull. The layout of the rock formation looks good, I’m also happy for two seagulls, but overall it’s a pass.

 

edit. All that being said, I like that the pirate theme gets a nod here, I’m sure lots of folks will love it. I just hope the whole structure is stable. It doesn’t look like though.

Edited by zinnn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

25103 posts

4 hours ago, zinnn said:

I just hope the whole structure is stable. It doesn’t look like though.

The design is modular if that's any reassurance... and from September 2023 to May 2024 the designer will be "Working with Model Governance and Building Instructions teams, and making any final necessary adjustments before locking the designs for pre-production."

BrickLink-Designer-Program-Series2-LEGO-Pirates-Modular-Ominous-Isle.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2643 posts

It's a solid set and there are some nice ideas and details but somehow it lacks the magic or spirit for me. But it is not a set for me anyway since i am not at Bricklink and don't know how the BDP works. Generally i am not a fan of those programs. I want to go into a store and pick up a set from the shelf :pir_laugh2:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

25103 posts

Click here to read Blog Post

Ominous Isle will be able for pre-order on 6th June at 8am PT and cost US $239.99 /AU $339.99.

More photos and details in the Blog Post.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

731 posts

I can dig it. The sausages always look like sausages to me though. :pir_laugh2: The interior looks fantastic! It needs 3000 pre orders?!? Is that something that happens?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

538 posts

4 hours ago, Captain Pirate Man said:

I wish it was getting a wide release... I don't buy the BL designer sets, they make it too difficult to get your hands on them. 

How do they make it too hard to get your hands of them? Only asking because I really like the Forestmen Hideout that's crowdfunding in October.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

25103 posts

6 hours ago, Jeff of Clubs said:

It needs 3000 pre orders?!? Is that something that happens?

That's the minimum pre-order threshold for all BrickLink Design Program sets.

Any less, and it's not worth producing the set!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

492 posts

On 8/24/2023 at 3:14 PM, Yperio_Bricks said:

It's a solid set and there are some nice ideas and details but somehow it lacks the magic or spirit for me.

Exactly my thoughts. Also the design of that monster / skull cave thing looks really bad. While the modular functionality may appeal to a lot of people, I fear it will not be very stable. One last complaint is that brick tower on top of the island - doesn't look very pirate'y, more like a transplant from a castle set. It'd be better if made out of brown "wood" bricks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

920 posts

Wow, that's quite a lot of money. 

Curious, the product they will release won't be exactly the same as it looks now, right? Are they going to alter it a bit, to look more Lego-legit, like they did with Baracuda Bay? Or is it a final product?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2643 posts

18 minutes ago, Mazin said:

Wow, that's quite a lot of money. 

Curious, the product they will release won't be exactly the same as it looks now, right? Are they going to alter it a bit, to look more Lego-legit, like they did with Baracuda Bay? Or is it a final product?

It is the final product! BDP sets are not being reworked by LEGO designers. What you see is what you get!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

25103 posts

2 hours ago, Yperio_Bricks said:

It is the final product! BDP sets are not being reworked by LEGO designers. What you see is what you get!

Incorrect!

As per the official BrickLink Designer Program Series 2 webpage:

Quote

Refining Finalist Designs

Working with Model Governance and Building Instructions teams, and making any final necessary adjustments before locking the designs for pre-production.

image.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

557 posts

I've honestly become a bit disillusioned with the whole BDP schtick...

So I think I'm likely going to be passing here... but I still have a month to change my mind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2643 posts

42 minutes ago, Mister Phes said:

Incorrect!

As per the official BrickLink Designer Program Series 2 webpage:

Oh wow, never though they work on the models themselves. Instructions, sure, but i wasn't aware of the possibility that they change the models.

Anyway, personaly i'll never get any of the BDP sets because of the whole process. I want to go into a shop and buy what i like! Old school :pir_laugh2:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

25103 posts

2 hours ago, Yperio_Bricks said:

Anyway , personaly i'll never get any of the BDP sets because of the whole process. I want to go into a shop and buy what i like! Old school :pir_laugh2:

 

3 hours ago, PxChris said:

So I think I'm likely going to be passing here...

Then you might be waiting years for another new pirate-themed set to be released...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

364 posts

3 hours ago, Mister Phes said:

Incorrect!

As per the official BrickLink Designer Program Series 2 webpage:

The modifications have been applied (for example, the boat has changed from white to brown). Now, what you see is what you get.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2643 posts

35 minutes ago, Mister Phes said:

 

Then you might be waiting years for another new pirate-themed set to be released...

You know i have given up hope :pir-grin:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

557 posts

53 minutes ago, Mister Phes said:

 

Then you might be waiting years for another new pirate-themed set to be released...

'Tis true... but I think that I'd still be happier waiting for a "real" LEGO Pirates set instead of a big MOC with Bricklink branding.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

25103 posts

7 hours ago, PxChris said:

'Tis true... but I think that I'd still be happier waiting for a "real" LEGO Pirates set instead of a big MOC with Bricklink branding.

This seems to be a common sentiment among AFOLs regarding BrickLink Designer sets not being considered as "official" sets.

However, in the case of Ominous Isle; is really that far removed from an official set?

For the most part it seems to continue the design aesthetic established in Barracuda Bay rather than leaning to heavily into the builder's own esoteric aeshetic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.