• 4 - Above Average
    • 5 - Outstanding

Exxon Fuel Tanker

Set #: 554

Year Released: 1979

Piece Count: 65

Minifigs: 1

List Price: unknown

I remember buying this great little set as an addition to my Lego floor town - sort of as an impulse set. Despite missing the "Happy Motoring" stickers which was Exxon's slogan here in the U.S., the set still has the Exxon stickers. I had the set assembled, but couldn't find the instructions. Luckily, I was able to find them on the web, disassemble, then build again.

Starting with the cab. My biggest complaint is no open cab for the fig to sit inside:

01cab.jpg

The best part of the set, the rear section with grey shutters that open to reveal a hose for refueling that favorite Gas Station pump.

02rear.jpg

What a great little classic town fig with his bright red shirt and blue pants:

03fig.jpg

The complete set:

04set.jpg

This was a great supplement to the Exxon Gas Station (Set #6395 6375) that would come a year later in 1980.

In addition, Set #6696, another Exxon Fuel Tanker released in 1984 would be redesigned to include an open cab with the 1x3 doors.

Happy Motoring!

Very Nice Review, Brickster!

I love that printed torso! So cool :cry_happy:.

But one thing I don't really like about old sets is that you can't fit a minifig in the front of the car because it's just a window. :cry_sad: But it does make a great addition to any lego city.

:thumbup:

Nice review! I didn't know that Lego and Exxon had a deal back then...I thought it was just Octan!

Oh sure, all the classic Town stuff is branded with Exxon (and Shell too!). If memory serves, TLC came out with the fake Octan brand shortly after the Exxon Valdez oil spill in Alaska. I have no idea if the timing on that was just coincedence, but my theory was always that TLC realized having toys branded with a real-world oil company could have a very negative impact, so they came up with the fictional Octan company. I have no idea if that's really the case.

I had this set when I was a kid. I eventually modded it to include an enclosed cab for the driver. This set was right in that awkward transition period of including mini-figs in sets ... but TLC hadn't quite figured out how to make mini-figs fit into vehicles.

These reviews really take me back.....Thanks I like to think about much simpler times and really great Lego sets.

You guys rock.

:thumbup:

I like to think about much simpler times and really great Lego sets.

Me too - it was a simpler time and the sets seemed to reflect those times.

Me too - it was a simpler time and the sets seemed to reflect those times.

I completly agree. A time when my biggest concern was getting my homework done in time to watch "Night Rider" :tongue: (actually i wasn't even born yet when this set came out).

Although i preffer the moredetailed sets of today, as well as the 6 and 8 wide trucks, i still have respect for the sets of our yester years.... :classic:

I'm surprised the stickers are still on those pieces; the textured slopes are about the worst pieces when it comes to sticker adhesion and preservation.

This was a great supplement to the Exxon Gas Station (Set #6395 6375) that would come a year later in 1980.

I wouldn't agreed less, that this is an excellent add-on to the 6375 Gas Station. Good job, for able to keep your stickers and decals in such terrific condition. This is a very very simple design, with an unique playing feature which is the hose, hiding behind the grey shutters. The color combination of white, red and grey works well for me. It seemed most Exxon sets are following such color theme.

One thing I do not like the most, is giving a mini-fig and is not able to place it in a driver seat. Although we can modify to a bigger vehicle, but it will defeat the purpose of having this set after all. Despite of such major complaint, this is still a must to have set, especially if you have the 6375 Gas Station. I give it a "4". :wink:

Again topic/poll, TheBrickster! :thumbup:

I gave this set only a 2:

The petrol tank is well designed (even with these little doors) - but the "cockpit" (don't know the real name) is much too small and includes no doors.

Klaus-Dieter

Again topic/poll, TheBrickster! :thumbup:

K.D, actually all of our recent Classic Reviews have a poll included. Please feel free to browse through all of the recent Classic Town reviews, which had contributed greatly into the Town and Trains forum.

As a City enthusiast as yourself, it might be interesting for you to let you have a walk down to memory lane, where Classic Town begins. :wink:

K.D, actually all of our recent Classic Reviews have a poll included. Please feel free to browse through all of the recent Classic Town reviews, which had contributed greatly into the Town and Trains forum.

As a City enthusiast as yourself, it might be interesting for you to let you have a walk down to memory lane, where Classic Town begins. :wink:

Thank you very much for that information, WhiteFang! :sweet:

I didn't know that.

Klaus-Dieter