VBBN

Bionicle 2009 Images and Discussion

Just to comment some more on Greg's amazing new serial chapter, this is totally what I want to have going for all future instalments. The chapter length is normal, but it only covers the small fight and Malum being captured, and we learn just about nothing new to put on BS01. That is how I like it, because the result is a chapter that details way more into the emotions and thoughts involved in the event, and it doesn't feel like 10 trivial information bits were just squashed in here and there because BZP wanted them in.

IMO, Greg's break from BZP is what made this chapter so awesome, because he's probably had a lot more time to make it perfect, and didn't have all those many BZPer suggestions to try and fit in. Plus, being able to work with only three characters is good as well.

The only problem I noticed with this chapter is that Vorox fell into the stereotypical and cliché weakness of non-individual enemies - the more Vorox there are, the weaker each individual becomes. In arena fights and in the first comic, the Vorox seem to be formidable opponents, yet in this chapter, when the Skrall were facing around 75 Vorox, they took them all down with minimal effort.

I completely agree with you. The last few serials were WAAAY too tedious when Greg had to stuff a hundred fan requests into four paragraphs.

But about the Skrall thing, remember that one Skrall defeated Gresh in less than three minutes. A squad of maybe 10 Skrall could easilly defeat that many Vorox when you consider that.

InnerRayg - Half the Skrall were temporarily taken out by holes, while one Skrall was taken out by twenty Vorox whilst being surprised, so that's not doing much to credit the Vorox's strength.

That is how I like it, because the result is a chapter that details way more into the emotions and thoughts involved in the event, and it doesn't feel like 10 trivial information bits were just squashed in here and there because BZP wanted them in.

Hear, hear. A story that makes a person truly think about what's happening instead of TELLING them what's happening is always win.

That's like most things in life really. An instruction manual can leave a person still stupid whereas actually just jumping into something and figuring it out for yourself is efficient.

I don't believe it said the Skrall were vastly outnumbered anyway so I don't think you can say the Vorox are weak. There were probably like thirty or forty Skrall, they could probably take on sixty or so Vorox, especially if they had rock steeds. It's like knights on horses with sharp teeth versus cavemen.

Even if the Skrall were with far less, it doesn't make their victory impossible. Remember that the Skrall are trained and organized soldiers, the Vorox are savages who don't fight organized like the Skrall. It's like the Romans versus the Barbarians from Germania or Galia. Sure the barbarians were at time with far more than the romans yet the romans still won, cause they were organized and had strategy. Numbers don't mean everything, like the chapter proved.

whatever the argument, I think we can all agree that that last chapter was pretty damned good. I was surprised, really, since the serials aren't usually much more than a small story to stave off the thirst for Bionicle updates. his writing here was grim, and spectacular and I hope he does it again.

I really feel bad for the Vorox...

I really feel bad for the Vorox...

You're not the only one. Seems like every tribe on Bara Magna thinks the Sand Tribe members are nothing more than animals not capable of anything but beastly activities and uncapable of emotions. Poor Vorox. They're not beasts. They're near beasts. Big difference. At least they still have the Zesk when they need a hug.

Edited by Refia

Just to comment some more on Greg's amazing new serial chapter, this is totally what I want to have going for all future instalments. The chapter length is normal, but it only covers the small fight and Malum being captured, and we learn just about nothing new to put on BS01. That is how I like it, because the result is a chapter that details way more into the emotions and thoughts involved in the event, and it doesn't feel like 10 trivial information bits were just squashed in here and there because BZP wanted them in.

IMO, Greg's break from BZP is what made this chapter so awesome, because he's probably had a lot more time to make it perfect, and didn't have all those many BZPer suggestions to try and fit in. Plus, being able to work with only three characters is good as well.

The only problem I noticed with this chapter is that Vorox fell into the stereotypical and cliché weakness of non-individual enemies - the more Vorox there are, the weaker each individual becomes. In arena fights and in the first comic, the Vorox seem to be formidable opponents, yet in this chapter, when the Skrall were facing around 75 Vorox, they took them all down with minimal effort.

There were thirteen Skrall and I think like twenty-five Vorox, it's not that impossible.

The Skrall ARE supposed to be the Spartans of Bara Magna, after all.

But I'm still a little disappointed with how easily Malum was captured.

There were thirteen Skrall and I think like twenty-five Vorox, it's not that impossible.

13 Skrall against 24 Vorox at first, then another 50 jumped out of the sand from behind, before being unjustly massacred.

Algernoon - I was disappointed as well, because he just stood outside the cave until the Skrall shot the cave roof down. I would've hoped to see some Malum action before he got beaten into unconsciousness.

Antrozek that is flipping amazing, is that Tarix and someone? I can't really remember either.

Antrozek that is flipping amazing, is that Tarix and someone? I can't really remember either.

they are Tarix and Berix, and they are being chased by a giant beast that lives in the deep of the sea sands that connects to the Tajun grand river

OMG....now that would be awesome/LOL if there is/or will be a giant monster that can chase after glatoiran and agori...reminds me of a random episode when a cat chased after some humans across the street. (long story about that)

~Toa Mata Nui~

Amazing art Antrozek, I love the poses of those two characters in front of the three-eyed monster! :thumbup: All that art needs now is a Brakas on the shoulder of the first guy, land sharks emerging from the ground below, and a big explosive lazer beams erupting from all three of the monster's eyes. Ultimate recipe for BIONICOOL. :sweet:

Hopefully I should be getting mai Glatorian today, but not the titans because they're not on sale yet. :hmpf_bad: Although that spares me up some money to buy some LEGO pirates though. :laugh:

Just to contribute to the art abundace in this topic, here is probably my favourite BIONICLE creation to date:

bbcc52c.jpg

Wow Antrozek, love how you integrated the organic parts. Great stuff man.

Anyway, Toy Fair starts on Sunday. Woohoo! :D

And after searching and searching and searching my local Targets for weeks, I finally caved and just ordered Raanu and Atakus online. I feel so horrible, ordering such small sets online. But I think I've wasted enough gas to make up for that horrible feeling. ;)

Hopefully I should be getting mai Glatorian today, but not the titans because they're not on sale yet. :hmpf_bad: Although that spares me up some money to buy some LEGO pirates though. :laugh:

Are you talking about Tuma and Fero+Skirmik coz I've been seen(sp?) them in shops since last week...

Antrozek you rock at drawing they are awsome

Are you talking about Tuma and Fero+Skirmik coz I've been seen(sp?) them in shops since last week...

Antrozek you rock at drawing they are awsome

No, I meant like they're not on sale for 20% off yet. I'm going to Farmers this evening, because it's the last day of their sale which includes 20% off all Toys. Unfortunately, they apparently don't have Fero & Skirmix or Tuma yet, so I'm just going to get all six Glatorian and possibly some Pirate sets. :classic:

I know other stores have the titans, but I'm so pedantically annoyed by the price increase that I'm not gonna buy them till they're cheaper than their original price.

No, I meant like they're not on sale for 20% off yet. I'm going to Farmers this evening, because it's the last day of their sale which includes 20% off all Toys. Unfortunately, they apparently don't have Fero & Skirmix or Tuma yet, so I'm just going to get all six Glatorian and possibly some Pirate sets. :classic:

I know other stores have the titans, but I'm so pedantically annoyed by the price increase that I'm not gonna buy them till they're cheaper than their original price.

Oh woops. I dont think I can rember ever seeing a titan set at Farmers only canister sets and even then they didnt have all of them... but the Farmers in north city is pretty useless when it comes to bionicle sets.