Jim

[TC25] Technic Shrinking Contest - Information Topic

5 minutes ago, Berthil said:

I see a great entry but for a set that was never released and sold. Is that allowed?
It seems it will get more attention that way. If allowed it's fine.

I’m guessing you’re referring to the Osprey set?

It’s a bit of an oddity as I know they were sold at some retailers (not Lego stores) in the U.K. as I bought 2 of them … and then sold them both on eBay … don’t ask me why I didn’t keep one (big mistake … I think because of the gear issues).

I view it as a legal set and so legal entry.

or are you referring to something else?

Yes the Osprey. I feel it's giving an advantage as it is 'romanticised' by a large audience but when allowed it is allowed and a great choice.

18 minutes ago, Berthil said:

Yes the Osprey. I feel it's giving an advantage as it is 'romanticised' by a large audience but when allowed it is allowed and a great choice.

I understand the borderline thing about the Osprey. Because it was still officially released and sold before cancelling I thought it would be accepted. I think it's like the LR13000. borderline choice but great for the contest. I dont't think there is a bigger advantage as choosing some other iconic technic set.

@Jim Could you give official answer as I did quite a lot of work already...?

Edited by JoKo

Osprey is okay. 

Seeing all the WIPs so far, this contest will likely have many entries! So cool to see the participation :-) 

I think its really  a good idea to have 2 TCs each year, where one is more specialized and the other one for many entries. Thanks again @Jim for choosing this one :thumbup:

Edited by Jundis

3 minutes ago, Jundis said:

I think its really  a good idea to have 2 TCs each year, where one is more specialized and the other one for many entries. Thanks again @Jim for choosing this one :thumbup:

It sure is generating a lot of interest :thumbup:

More than I expected tbh

1 hour ago, Jim said:

Osprey is okay. 

Thanks!

2 minutes ago, Jim said:

It sure is generating a lot of interest :thumbup:

More than I expected tbh

And that's a good thing, isn't it?

22 minutes ago, JoKo said:

And that's a good thing, isn't it?

Of course it is!!

I wonder what counts more; keeping the original functions, or scaling smaller.. I see a lot of people going really small, where many not so visible functions like drivetrains and suspensions will have to be left out, while others reduced to a bare minimum, almost like 'adjustability by hand'.. Starting to feel like I am not brave enough with the down-scaling and dropping functions :D

2 minutes ago, gyenesvi said:

I wonder what counts more; keeping the original functions, or scaling smaller.. I see a lot of people going really small, where many not so visible functions like drivetrains and suspensions will have to be left out, while others reduced to a bare minimum, almost like 'adjustability by hand'.. Starting to feel like I am not brave enough with the down-scaling and dropping functions :D

The balance will be somewhere in the middle. It's not all about how much you can scale down. It's about staying true to the original as well. 

Scaling down to a "10 euro set size" will probably not result in a winning entry.

1 hour ago, Maaboo35 said:

@Thirdwigg and @falconluan should really be copying each other, seeing as they're both basically building the same model!

I am watching the project of @falconluan closely, but I think I have most of the ideas I need for the time being.

Until they come up with a better idea :classic:, then my ideas might need to be shifted. 

12 hours ago, Maaboo35 said:

@Thirdwigg and @falconluan should really be copying each other, seeing as they're both basically building the same model!

Despite we chose the similar original model and will build the same scale(same wheel choice), I think we will end up quite different models in the end. We are using different approaches, @Thirdwigg is building outlines first while I'm basically using an inside out approach. The end result of us will be quite interesting. :pir-tongue:

@Jim - how acceptable it is to make the hood of a truck completely with system/model team approach if the original model had it like 80% done and scaling it down makes it harder to achieve the similar layout of headlights and grille with just Technic parts?

For trucks a lot of MOCs and sets themselves do a model team approach on the grille and I feel like it should be okay to have the same approach if most of the model itself is Technic/studless, but at the same time we could assume we want pure studless models with just tiny details made from system pieces, but at that point it's more like reimagining the whole set with what can be done in studless techniques...

8 hours ago, SaperPL said:

@Jim - how acceptable it is to make the hood of a truck completely with system/model team approach if the original model had it like 80% done and scaling it down makes it harder to achieve the similar layout of headlights and grille with just Technic parts?

For trucks a lot of MOCs and sets themselves do a model team approach on the grille and I feel like it should be okay to have the same approach if most of the model itself is Technic/studless, but at the same time we could assume we want pure studless models with just tiny details made from system pieces, but at that point it's more like reimagining the whole set with what can be done in studless techniques...

If the original has a System/Model Team approach to hood/grille/whatever, I don't see why it would be a problem for the shrunk model. After all, that's just scaling down the original style, like the contest intended. If the original is from the studful era, the question gets trickier, but in those times there weren't much in the way of decoration anyway, so for most sets it should't be that big of a problem.

1 minute ago, howitzer said:

If the original is from the studful era, the question gets trickier

The original (8109) is from studless era, it's just that it composes panel fairing #1 and #2 and curve 2x3 liftarm (71708) with a grille made with wedge plates and tiles in between, but it does it really well, while when I want to make the similar approach at ~73% scale, it gets really messy with smaller panels because of less space and less attachment points.

The tricky part of the question is whether to forcefully try to re-implement the layout of original truck's front as close as possible or whether to make something that is a truck like with what can be done in neat fashion as re-imagination of what could it look like at smaller scale...

8 hours ago, SaperPL said:

In case of the 8109 it's okay to use system parts to recreate the grill/hood.

42 minutes ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

So many nice entries I don't think I can compete :sad:

And I quote...

On 4/3/2023 at 12:44 PM, Ngoc Nguyen said:

Shrink a set coming soon?

You are required to participate!

8 hours ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

So many nice entries I don't think I can compete :sad:

Do it for fun and pick some not-so-popular old set with some interesting mechanical feature like I did :)

13 hours ago, Jim said:

You are required to participate!

I think he wrote that when we thought electronic is allowed...

3 hours ago, msk6003 said:

I think he wrote that when we thought electronic is allowed...

So? Leave out the electronics :tongue:

I am planning to offer free instructions for my shrinked 8865. Do I have to wait for the contest deadline before uploading the instructions? Or can I post a link for the instructions in the entry post or discussion thread?

On 6/29/2023 at 4:08 AM, Jim said:

Let's not do Bionicle, Slizers, Roboriders etc. It's not what we are looking for in this contest.

nooo! (I already started on a manas) 

6 hours ago, upgrade_evo said:

nooo! (I already started on a manas) 

I did answer this question quite early in the contest.

10 hours ago, brickphisto said:

I am planning to offer free instructions for my shrinked 8865. Do I have to wait for the contest deadline before uploading the instructions? Or can I post a link for the instructions in the entry post or discussion thread?

Hmmm good question. Since we are doing Jury voting, I guess it won't harm posting the right away.