Dyen

Technic X-WING - 42145 Alternate model

Red five standing by.
Any StarWars fans here? I would like to show you my new alternate model for Lego set 42145 Airbus Helicopter. This is pure technic X-Wing Starfighter, build only from pieces which are in Lego set 42145.

52938165314_ff15b8d615_c.jpg
This model contains 1708 parts, has some manual functions and two motorized functions. You can open the canopy, adjust your targeting computer and switch the motor ON. Now you can operate two functions: :

1. Detract and deploy the landing gear
  2. Open/close iconic „X“ wings (also known as Strike foils or stability foils)

Behind the cockpit there is also a special place for Astromech droid, so if you have R2D2 figure, you can put it there to make it look even more iconic.

Instructions:

More photos:

52916448033_6396b98128_z.jpg52897800770_67e01578d8_z.jpg52937419382_dc1e4b3cf8_z.jpg
Edited by Milan
Changed the title from all caps to lower case

Excellent! I am not really into Star Wars stuff, but the X-Wing is so iconic, and your model seems to be as faithful to the original as it can be, considering the limited inventory. Very nice % of parts reusage, by the way!

You are one of the best designers on Rebrickable, and it definitely shows yet again with this work. Kudos!

That's good work right there :thumbup:

I'm tempted to pick up the airbus just to make this, are there any compromises you had to make to keep it a strict B model? Is there anything you'd change with just a few extra parts?

Super nice model. This ticks all the boxes of a great alternative. It's functional, with two functions that are super appropriate for the X-wing. The switches are nicely conceiled (I like the switch in the cockpit). As for looks, I like how good it looks, it has the perfect color scheme (including how you used the yellow), it doesn't look messy with jumbled colors everywhere, but it does have the "greebles" that come with spaceships. I like the light gray fronts of the "engines" on the wings for example. And it seems to use a large fraction of the set's inventory. Just, awesome :wub: (says someone who's totally not into Star Wars).

Absolutely amazing. Now I wonder how well X-wing or some other UCS series starships could be recreated with Lego technic without the limitations of being a B-model. 

Way to think outside of the box on this one.  Usually I don't pay much attention to B models, but I love this one.  

Wow ...

It appears as if a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away they had LEGO Technic - which now by some oddity showed up on this planet.

I have two LEGO X-wing fighters - a rather old one and a newer one - both came to me as a gift, as I am not that much into larger Star Wars models.

I am also not a very big fan of Technic models better made by system bricks (particularly those with almost no functions).

And then this happens. Limited piece range ... perfect outcome. When you put this one next to the brick built X-wings - at least on par. When this one opens the S-foils though, there is no par anymore: It is simply fantastic.

All the best,
Thorsten

P.S.: B-model sounds odd. It is an A+ model.

Edited by Toastie

wow that’s super cool. I’m not usually super into technic stuff, but it suits the x wing very well, a lot better than their new ucs x wing. And you did it all with one set! 

Really good idea for a B model, and nicely made, great color usage/consistency. Also, the motorized mechanisms are well chosen on for this!

That is really incredible, I am completely incompetent at Technic so to see someone do something THIS awesome is a sight to behold.

800x450.jpeg

PEW PEW! It's a big beast when it's built, it won't fit my display cabinet so I'm thinking about hanging it from the ceiling with some fishing line.

This was a challenging build but never annoying and I'm still amazed that it is from a single set. Well done!

56 minutes ago, ukbajadave said:

This was a challenging build but never annoying and I'm still amazed that it is from a single set. Well done!

just out of curiosity, did you build the helicopter first?

Yep, I bought a new 42145 and built the helicopter first. 42145 is one of the best Technic sets I've built in a while, lots of gears and interesting linkages and actually very realistic in terms of function :thumbup:

Great alternative; the only thing that could be better is that it is able to fly