Barduck

EMD SD70Ace, a logical follow up for my old SD70 model

Ages ago (or so it feels like) in 2016 I posted my build of an SD70 on this forum:

With the build of the Union Station being at a halt for the moment (some other things that take precedence) and having a bit of a designers block since the start of the year (as in; really not finding engines I wanted to try and build) I started looking on my own Flickr account at the locomotives I used to own (used too but lost in the fire in 2020), just thinking if I'd actually would rebuild one. My last "recent" diesel was the ES44AC line I did and since then I haven't done any new other more recent diesel engines, that's mainly due to the M10005 and it's coaches that I've done (and still need to finish 4 to complete that consist). So, my eye dropped on my old SD70 version and I was thinking; "not going to rebuild that, better redesign her" and thus I started by choosing which SD70 version I'd want to do and settled on the Ace.

First start was slow, I had the basic floor from the older model that I lengthened by 2 studs and then started tinkering with a nose setup. If I could get a good looking nose, I figured the rest would go easy. I had done a nose for a SD90MAC-H and wanted something in the same style, but obviously without the door.

52129194843_2962baa407_k.jpgcrazy nose by Barduck12, on Flickr

The end result for that tinkering was this:

52781914113_c102fddf41_k.jpgUP SD???? by Barduck12, on Flickr

and I knew I had to test build it first as there are a few things I wasn't really sure about if it would work

52789907300_c3430dfe71_k.jpgSD70Ace WIP by Barduck12, on Flickr

Even there I changed a few things later to give it a smoother look. It was going to work and all I had to do was choose the initial livery. At that time I was just chatting with someone from Godbricks.com and decided to do a livery that would be unbuildable in genuine LEGO because of the colors used (bright light blue mostly and there's not much available in that color) so my initial design would become an exclusive for them (actually waiting on the parts to arrive to test build that and to see how decals can be done but that's another story for another time as she is still a secret). With the design in that livery ready I then began changing her in to 9 other liveries and those are the ones I'm showing here today. I intend to build at least the UP version for myself and then decide between the BNSF or the Virginian for a second, won't be doing all 9 myself.

The designs (in alphabetical order):

BNSF

52912373224_aa15783228_h.jpgSD70Ace BNSF by Barduck12, on Flickr

Conrail (I know they didn't have SD70Aces in their line up but what's not to like)

52912222916_74eb3ddd71_h.jpgSD70Ace Conrail by Barduck12, on Flickr

Canadian Pacific

52911643342_0d0a094bbd_h.jpgSD70Ace CP by Barduck12, on Flickr

Canadian Pacific #7021 Desert Sand (which is actually an SD70ACU)

52912222641_520bd0e42f_h.jpgSD70Ace CP 7021 by Barduck12, on Flickr

CSX

52912675998_ebfde46d8c_h.jpgSD70Ace CSX by Barduck12, on Flickr

Norfolk Southern

52912603530_d711e52a5c_h.jpgSD70Ace NS by Barduck12, on Flickr

Union Pacific

52912603260_11c6371f7c_h.jpgSD70Ace UP by Barduck12, on Flickr

Virginian (NS heritage) (will need decals on the 2x6 tiles that hide the Buwizz 2.0)

52912675343_24d4523859_h.jpgSD70Ace Virginian by Barduck12, on Flickr

WABASH (will also need larger decals to hide some stuff)

52912371194_c302158f5d_h.jpgSD70Ace WABASH by Barduck12, on Flickr

Depending on livery the models have 2200 to 2300 parts in them, are 66 studs long and 37 plates high (from top of rail to top of cabin). Scale used is 1/42 but I had to make 2 compromises as she's actually 1 or 2 studs to short and 1 plate to high. I tried to incorporate as many detail as possible and where possible not go for easy solutions, I wanted her to look complex and I think I did a decent job at that, but what do you guys think?

Edited by Barduck
Typo

1 hour ago, LEGOTrainBuilderSG said:

Beautifully shaped nose mate! The proof of concept looks great. How does it hold up? 

Bars and robot arms 

Well done, especially like the bogies! Clever use of the "Slope 18 2 x 1 x 2/3 with Grille" for the dynamic brake intake, at least that's what I think you used.

Dave

24 minutes ago, bogieman said:

Well done, especially like the bogies! Clever use of the "Slope 18 2 x 1 x 2/3 with Grille" for the dynamic brake intake, at least that's what I think you used.

Dave

Indeed they are. Took a whole lot of headaches and try and error to get it to align just right but the the look it gives is just mesmerising. Almost everyone uses either 1x2 bricks with grille or 1x2 tiles with grill to do things like that, I really wanted to pull it to the next level. If one really wants to you can even make almost completely see-through by using clear parts inside (and not bothering that Lego doesn’t have all of the used pieces in transclear)

Edited by Barduck

SD70ACE UP C&NW 1995 Chicago & North Western

A non-buildable version, UP C&NW 1995 Chicago & North Western. Lego does not have all needed parts in dark green (some Chinese companies do actually so really tempted, it’s a to beautiful livery)

Great attention to detail and complex construction techniques for that front! :wub:
I also like the use of 61409 slopes for the rear grilles (would be interesting to see exploded views of how to build).
My favorite livery is the dark blue one with the yellow muzzle and the white roof! :thumbup:

3 hours ago, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

Great attention to detail and complex construction techniques for that front! :wub:
I also like the use of 61409 slopes for the rear grilles (would be interesting to see exploded views of how to build).
My favorite livery is the dark blue one with the yellow muzzle and the white roof! :thumbup:

Thx. It took several attempts to get it to work, sometimes the slopes were overlapping, sometimes it was impossible to get them in the needed position. To know how I did it you’ll have to get the instructions 😎, it’s one of the features on this design that took to much work to just reveal. There’s so much snot and weird construction solutions in it that I had several times that I was thinking; “WTF did I get myself in to” but it all comes together rather nicely (like all the grills that are offset by 1/3th to 1/2 of a plate). The CSX (the one you like most) and BNSF required some extra work because of the 1x2 brick with grille not existing is the needed colours, again making sure they stick out the same as with those bricks. I agree that the CSX is nice to see in that colour combination, my personal favourites though are the UP, Virginian and BNSF (and the unbuildable UP C&NW because of the missing bricks in dark green, but as I said, Chinese companies have those so I’m tempted to build it regardless)